Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The name of the state whose capital is Dublin and whose jurisdiction extends to the 26 counties and that has a land border with Northern Ireland is "Ireland" in English and "Éire" in Irish. Not "Southern Ireland" or "Republic of Ireland" or "Irish Republic" or anything else; Ireland. It enjoys international recognition under that name, and is a member of the UN, the EU, etc, under that name. It is a republic, and may be described as the Republic of Ireland, but its name is Ireland. It is named from the island on which its territory lies.

I'm astonished that Furze99 didn't know this before, but he knows it now.

We return you now to normal programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

aside from you ducking questions, I am curious. Do I live in your Ireland, francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

‘Your’??

I don’t ‘own’ Ireland, I co- live here along with everyone else as a citizen of a democracy.

do I live in this country of Ireland that you refer to??

Did I say you did somewhere?

You live, like the rest of the Irish, on the island of Ireland which was partitioned into two jurisdictions. You choose to identify as British which is and always will be, your right, as far as I am concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't think so according to many of those here. You live in some parallel universe on the island of Ireland, but not in Ireland, though you can identify as Irish if you wish and get an Irish passport. What a load of f**king nonsense.

I'm an Irishman, I was born in Ireland - the Republic of Ireland, lived all my life in the Republic of Ireland, pay my taxes in the Republic of Ireland, Vote in the Republic of Ireland, will hopefully die in the Republic of Ireland. I'm proud to do my best as a citizen for the Republic of Ireland.

Those born in Northern Ireland are likewise born in Ireland - Northern Ireland, they live in Northern Ireland, pay their taxes in Northern Ireland, vote in Northern Ireland etc etc.

To proclaim that Ireland is the 26 counties is the height of constitutional nonsense. I'm very surprised that those who express a wish to unify the political entities on the island of Ireland, are prepared to imply that the state of Ireland stops at the border. But then our constitution is from a different era, there's a strong case that the entire constitution should be up for referendum every generation or 25 years at most. There can be very few, if any citizens left alive who voted for the 1937 document. Which iirc, wasn't exactly passed with a resounding vote of favour.

There's nothing in the Constitution stopping people insisting they are right when they are wrong I suppose, so work away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I t is quite common for a country becomes known in common parlance by a name sourced from one of two sources - the name of its soccer team or from the name printed on its postage stamps.

In Irelands case, this gives the wrong answer in the cases of both tests. The Irish stamp carries the name in Irish, and the name of the soccer team does not match either.

In Northern Ireland's case, there is no name on the stamp, and the UK does not have a soccer team, it has four.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

That sounds like an embarrassing ‘no’. So we do agree on something I don’t live ‘in’ Ireland, I live ‘on’ Ireland.

it just took you about a year to come around to that position. I’m not good at searching or I would find you the posts.

The name of the island is Ireland, you, like me live 'in' and 'on' it. No brainer.

Your identity/citizenship is something you choose. You can change it anytime you like. Like the people here:

It doesn't however change where you were born. The only 'place' mentioned in the name of your jurisdiction (a legal construct that can also change) is Ireland. No brainer also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: let's get back om topic & move on from the name of the country!

The topic is indeed the NI assembly and a probable election. Just as we have elections for the Republic of Ireland.

The question of the naming of these political entities was raised by those who don't seem to recognise them as valid political entities. And who insist that the state is Ireland.

Which kinda goes to the heart of elections to these bodies in the first place and respecting them as current valid representative entities.

There is only one party not 'respecting' the outcome of the election currently.

Do you recognise the Northern Ireland Assembly Francie as a legitimate political body to manage the affairs of Northern Ireland?

And do you recognise that Dail Eireann is the legitimate political body to manage the affairs of the Republic of Ireland?

If so grand.

Irelevant and another attempt to divert the thread, which is about the outcome of the Dec 22 Assembly election. .

Not really, what's point of discussing elections to an assembly that both 'nationalist republicans' and the more 'hardline unionists' both want to get rid of for their own diametrically opposed reasons.

It's interesting that you regard the political legitimacy of both governing institutions on our island as irrelevant.

As a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, I certainly recognise the legitimacy of both bodies.

What I believe has nothing to do with a discussion on elections. And I am not sure which 'Nationalist Republicans' don't recognise it either, the ones who are elected to it, take their seats.

As a citizen of 'Ireland' I agreed with and voted for this, so make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Currently"?

When there is a culture of bringing down Stormont, you can't blame others for joining in.

There is a 'culture' of bringing down governments everywhere by walking out. I think your Green Party have done it, have they not?

The fact is, the last time Stormont was brought down it was over a devolved matter, i.e. an issue that Stormont could resolve itself.

This time it isn't, it is about holding the people of NI to ransom to try and force the EU and Dublin and the UK government to capitulate on a matter that Stormont can do nothing about.

Which party is not respecting the outcome of the election and how?

• Advertisement

The DUP.

They have consistently lied to their electorate about the effects of the Protocol and that Stormont can do something about it.

Their 'issue' is with those who orginated, agreed and signed off on the Protocol and that is not Stormont or the people of NI. Neither is it Dublin. They themselves welcomed the Protocol (evidence available if required)

Whether Stormont sits or not is moot as far as the Protocol is concerned.

Francie do you ever ever answer a question.

tell us how “one party is not respecting the outcome of the election currently” ?

See above...it's pretty straight forward. They are holding NI to ransom over an issue that Stormont is powerless on.

More bizarre lies today as Sammy, whose party is trying to use Stormont as leverage complained in Parliament that they (the DUP) were being used as leverage. 😁

Meanwhile people in NI have no Assembly and are suffering.

People voted for them to stay out of stormont. You want them to not respect that mandate?

They lied to their electorate and those who are going to vote for them.

Their gullibility does not paper over the facts that the Protocol has nothing to do with Stormont. The Protocol exists because before she died, Elizabeth signed it into law as an international agreement between the EU and The UK.

Staying out of Stormont is holding NI ransom and that disrespects the results of the election which saw a majority returned who support the Protocol.

Their vote share fell by 7% to 21%, with the result that the lost three seats and ceased to be the largest party in the Assembly. That's not really much of a mandate, is it?

In the UK constitutional system, downcow, when you lose the election, you don't have a mandate to implement your platform.

The Dup (in an election which they were punished by electorate for not standing strong enough against the protocol) they took 28% of the seats. I believe that is a stronger mandate than any party in the roi government, and certainly more than SFs 23%.

so if they do not have a mandate to fight the protocol democratically and stay out of stormont then I don’t know who does have in mandate in Ireland.

and of course polls are showing that mandate is strengthening more than any other party in NI since the election.

I won’t accuse you of disrespect the results as francie has accused some of, but I would encourage you to think again what gives a party a mandate.

Nonsense

the protocol tears up the gfa. Stormont is established under the gfa.

current protocol = no gfa = no stormont.

whatever else happens going forward, the above is nonnegotiable

Who does have a mandate to fight the Protocol in Ireland? Well, nobody. The Protocol is acceptable to the majority in the Republic, and the mandate conferred by the the voters in NI (which the DUP ignored) was a mandate to oppose Brexit. If they must have Brexit, and if must be hard Brexit, then a majority of voters in NI want some version of the Protocol in order to mitigate harm to NI (including but not limited to the harm of a hard border with IRL).

Nobody's actually happy about the Protocol, but a clear majority see it as the least worst response to hard Brexit. It could be improved upon, if the UK government were more flexible, but until that happens we are where we are.

And it is rank hypocrisy of the DUP to object to the Protocol when they backed, and continue to back, hard Brexit. As I've pointed out before, it's difficult to accept their opposition to the Protocol as being in good faith as long as they refuse to address the factors that necessitate the Protocol. They play right into the hands of those who say that they are just using the Protocol, which they did so much to bring about and are doing so much to sustain, as an excuse for collapsing the institutions in which they no longer have a dominant position.

• Advertisement

None of the parties to the GFA think that the Protocol collapses the GFA and the UK courts have held that it does not, so the DUP's honking into the void about an agreement that they have never been a part of doesn't carry much weight. If the DUP genuinely believed that the existence of the Protocol is incompatible with the existence of Stormont (and if they wanted Strormont to exist) then they would not back hard Brexit; it's as simple as that. But they do back hard Brexit which tells us that, however important it may or may not be to them for NI to have devolved institutions, achieving and maintaining hard Brexit is a greater priority for them. They do not have, and evidently do not feel they need, a mandate for that position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement