Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to date an old postcard with 7p stamp.

• 14-11-2022 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

In what years did it cost 7p to send a postcard in Ireland?

I have a postcard on which the postmark ink did not appear legibly. I would like to find out the correct date. I think it could be from the 1970s, or maybe the 80s.

The stamp is one of the celtic creature designs, olive green colour, of an animal eating its tail, EIRE 7. The date seems to be 3 but there could be another digit missing, so maybe its also 13,23,30,31. The month seems to be III but similarly there could be something missing, so it could also be VIII. Only a single digit of the year appears which could be 3 or 6 or 8.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've one franked 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

Thank you. Is that also for 7p, and is it a postcard/open envelope or a closed envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

74 makes sense to me.

7p is what I remember being the new price when I started school around then.

I got interested in stamps and eventually got a load of old cards from my granny. My mum wrote letters to her and her aunt most days. Phones were scarce!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

The sender was giving an invitation for "Friday 2nd". They didn't specify the month. There are several possibilities for this scheduled date, such as 2/8/1974, 2/5/1975, 2/1/1976, 2/4/1976, 2/7/1976 and many others in 1973 and 1977 and onwards.

Going by the partial postmark hints, I think the best fit out of these dates is probably Friday 2nd April 1976, meaning that it was probably posted on 30th or 31st March 1976. I guess the postage rates could have remained the same for a few years after 1974.

Advertisement