Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The Options shouldnt be emigrate or sign on the dole! When those are the only options for hard working, highly educated adults working in jobs were there are already staff shortages, we are living in a failed society!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jj880

You're wasting your time. The property market thread has similar cretins that reckon anyone saying the market is dysfunctional is a begrudger / whinger. They're just trying to get a rise out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As long as people are willing to work for peanuts they'll pay peanuts. I have family teaching and in other public sector jobs, they're not all on excellent money, but to suggest any of them are worse off than someone on the dole would be stretching it. One of them recently bought a house, but like most people these days they're splitting the cost with a working partner. Direct your anger at where the wealth flows.

I know it's not your intent, but the tone of your post really makes it seem like half the problem is not just struggling but that people who aren't as well off aren't struggling enough.

Who is saying the market is not dysfunctional? It's only going to get worse.

Post edited by kowloon on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

What do you expect people to do? Quit their jobs?

& thats not my intention, ive been on the dole and I wouldnt begrudge anyone on social welfare. I know first hand how people on the dole are treated but I can understand that and also feel frustrated about working so hard everyday and realising I would actually have been better off not trying to improve my circumstances and stayed on social welfare.

I cant speak for the people you know but again, it shouldn't be the case that you need to have a partner to split costs with to have any decent level of independence and financial security & im not talking about affording any kind of abnormal lifestyle, I mean if you're working, especially in a job that requires you to have a certain level of education - Because youve taken time and spent money to get those qualifications, you should be paid enough to put a roof over your own head, buy food and pay your bills. Any job should enable you to support yourself at a basic level but its become such a problem that allot of jobs require several years of training before offering a qualified rate of pay & that rate of pay doesn't support a solo person.

Also consider that teaching and other public sector jobs cut the pay for new entrants while highering the level of education needed to get a job and they did this while people training for these jobs were still in the process of reaching their qualifications so in lots of instances, the employees of these jobs pursued them when the conditions where much more tolerable. A teacher or an sna starting out now earns less than a teacher or sna starting out 15 or 20 years ago and the cost of living was much lower then. The wages increase after every 365 days worked but it's a slow climb and the cost of living is also increasing so theres very little chance to really get on your feet.

I think our politicians had their parents or families or spouses to rely on for connections and financial aid so they apply that experience when making decisions related to tax, pay and the cost of living, so teachers on lower pay don't need good wages because its assumed they'll have a spouse to split the costs with. They assume that anyone who cant keep up with the rising costs must be on social welfare so they provide them with houses, free medical services & extra supports for energy costs which is a good thing and im not taking away from that, but the low paid, educated single workers who don't have the bank of mum & dad or a spouse with a good wage to help support them, are falling between two stools & that accounts for a large cohort of the population who are either in a financial hole from renting, living with their parents or emigrating. Whats annoying is they're constantly referred to as 'young professionals' but allot of them aren't actually young anymore, this has been going on so long that those 'young professionals' whove been left behind are in their 30's and 40's and have been infantilized by the government & media. It's ok that a single 35 year old with a masters degree and what would have always been considered a good career type job, is living at home with their parents unable to afford any reasonable level of adult independence because theyre a 'young professional'. It doesn't sound as bad when they're described that way. Whats going to happen to half of them when theyre 45 or 50, have finally saved up for a mortgage deposit for their first home and their turned away because theyre too old. Theyre going to be working well into old age trying to keep a roof over their heads. Are all the single, low paid workers expected to emigrate? That sounds like descrimination to me.

Also consider that teaching and other public sector jobs cut the pay for new entrants while highering the level of education needed to get a job and they did this while people training for these jobs were still in the process of reaching their qualifications so in lots of instances, the employees of these jobs pursued them when the conditions where much more tolerable. 

That was unacceptable. If I remember correctly the older teachers effectively pulled up the ladder to save their own pay while screwing over their younger colleagues. It should be the same pay for the same job.

Honestly, I can't see it improving as long as people are willing to fill positions. I remember how previous pay disputes got spun into a public sector vs. private sector argument and all the bitterness that went with it. If the nurses can't get anything after the pandemic of the century I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No, you shouldnt have to emigrate, its an absolute disgrace what is happening here! But this place is a banana republic, you arent one of the sacred cows in the eyes of RTE or the politicians by extension... You are young, so you arent "vulnerable" You go out to work, so you are obviously "comfortable"...

I have written this on boards for years, your living standards are seriously reduced and lower than they would be in other countries, while other cohorts here,are way better off than they would be in other countries. The quality of life and your spending power, will likely be far greater abroad. Irish governments blatantly do not give a toss about working people and certainly not young people... That wont change...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are endless articles in the irish times and on newstalk, about how the young are by far the biggest losers with current policies...

https://www.irishtimes.com/your-money/2022/10/04/six-ways-younger-people-face-an-uncertain-financial-future/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

You clearly havent tried to get planning for a mac massion as you call it in tippperary the last number of years. Almost impossible i the northern half. I know of 2 recently alone in the same town who were refused. Both technically within the town boundaries and one was a farmer at home farming. Then you have the local crank who will object to anyone trying to renovate a house in the town center

The elderly vote religiously, and the young don't. A strong youth movement, like the one to repeal the eighth amendment is what is needed, but it's easier to fire people up over a single issue than something vaguer than "we're generally **** over the young". The only consolation is our older voters haven't been faced with anything like Brexit where they can do major damage to the future of their grandchildren in the name of nostalgia for a time that never really existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is simply not true that a teacher starting out now earns less than a teacher starting out 20 years ago.

I can't find the teacher pay scales, but an SNA starting in December 2001 earned €17,319 to a max of €28,066.

Currently they start at €25,102 and got to €42,190.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But it's mostly those who rent that have objected to pension reform. I am sixty and would have been effected by the original proposal yet I argued for it with people. Most of those that objected are people who are drawing SW, or in the income strata below 50k.

Anybody with a bit of commonsense can see that people getting older are fitter and healthier.

The average person that lives to draw the pension will live to there mid eighties. Male live to expectancy has increased to the female rate and will probably exceed it over the next 20 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If your electricity bill is less than €200 for each two month periods. Will the remaining money contribute to future bills?

Thanks.

It was more for my father's house. Heating and cooking uses gas. Clothes dried on the clothes horse near one of the gas heated radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I can confirm it's a credit to your account they just keep pulling from it till it's gone.

Electric Ireland are saying the first 200 credit will be viewable in your online account from early November. This was the case last time. Nice to see it there and knowing you are covered for 2 months. Well my last couple bills were 80/90 per month. Probably around the 100/110 mark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, this is true. Plenty of folks over in the solar forum are still using the last 200euro credit to pay standing charges

Good for them. The standing charge is quite steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Veronica26

Disability gets paid into bank accounts on Wednesday. Der saying d lump sum been paid from Monday 14th Nov. Does that mean Disability lump sum is paid Monday instead off Wednesday ? Think they wud make it clear ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Why should it matter if you have your budget half right. They never paid double payment in the same day. It was always in advance. They never want to interrupt normal payment in case something goes wrong.

There would be complaining if it was 2-3 days after as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The payments are on the week starting Monday the 14th not on Monday the 14th.

So unless you owe money to someone who might knee kap you I wouldn't be worried about a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Not at all.

They only kidnap your knee and give it back to you once a dept is paid off. Then all good. 😊

Guts of 1600 if you can get it this week.

Really? You think its possible to get all these payments?

Ofc even when you have not been on long term 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Advertisement

How can you be eligible for both of the 500 euro payments? Wouldn't 1 exclude the other?

Advertisement