Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

The ERG are proto-fascists.

I stopped at this point.

What a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interestingly, it was Cameron himself who played a huge part in there being no second referendum. He openly sneered and belittled the idea of there being another referendum, saying the vote to Leave could only be a one off and could never be revisited. His arrogance left the UK up the creek and unable to extricate itself from the Brexit disaster.

He was either too arrogant or too stupid to understand the consequences of a potential very narrow vote to Leave and how this would leave Britain in an almighty, intractable mess vis-a-vis its relationship with the EU and the Single Market (I would go for both arrogant 'and' stupid).

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

This is exactly the type of view held by a number of out of touch posters here which I have pointed out previously.A million miles away from the general view of the UK held by Brussels and the general population of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He was not commenting on the general view of the UK or its population, he was very specifically commenting on the ERG and the disruption they have caused.

I think the majority of people in the UK are fine people but the governance of the country has been an absolute clown show since the Brexit vote, held hostage by an unflinching ideology that has failed the country and its people utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If the general population supported these ERG policies the ERG members wouldn't keep their wider membership secret.

It's hugely undemocratic to run for election under a party manifesto when your allegiance is actually with a more extreme secret society that are subverting the party from within.

The majority of Tory voters don't know what the ERG is.

• Advertisement

Funny how you quote Braverman, or a video that largely relates to her - at a time when Braverman has concluded a deal on the illegal economic migrant wave with the French, only today.

This deal won't end the illegal migrant problem, of course, but it's a step forward. Good on Sunak for continuing to back Braverman despite all the lamentable attempts to effectively cancel her political existence.

And of course, elements of the Left are purple with apoplexy that Sunak and Braverman - both from immigrant stock - are leading the effort against illegal migration into the United Kingdom. Drives them absolutely crazy, as they cannot lean back on the "racist" card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is this the extension, at more cost,of the deal that was already there?

Taking back control by relying on other countries to deal with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Oh, you mean the fourth UK-France Channel deal in the past three years. This one will cost £63m, that's on top £55m Britain gave to France to help fund measures in 2021-22. Remind me again...how many migrants crossed the channel in small boats in 2021-22?

It seems to be a bit of a PR stunt or window dressing.

The Tories themselves probably don't give a hoot about refugees in dinghies (not too sure about Braverman though). They mostly see inventing a "crisis" around the issue as a potential vote winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Once again, you are wilfully obscuring the very pertinent point to be made. In 2022, the Sunak and Braverman families trying to save their hides getting out of sitiuations akin to the ones they found themselves in 1970s Africa would be persona non grata - and would find themselves back on the continent.

Essentially, Braverman 2022, would send her own father to Rwanda to rot in a holding pen to keep little Englanders birdboxes from getting too flustered when watching the Channel 4 news at night.

• Advertisement

I don't think the majority of British object to genuine refugees.Not so sure about the economic ones though. Ireland has had over 10,000 refugees so far this year, is that figure sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There is a faction of the Tory Mps who call themselves The Common Sense Group who lap this anti-refugee stuff up. Braverman has a close connection with them and appears to have swallowed their bullshit whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

All of the stats suggest that the vast majority of people who claim asylum in the UK are genuine refugees (somewhere up around 80% or so of claims).

It's a myth / lie being peddled by the far right and their many media pals that the lines are supposedly blurred and that as many economic migrants are claiming asylum as genuine refugees.

As he's the UK's prime minister his actions affect Ireland at some level I'd have thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Except there's none of that in your post. It's just the standard Brexiter whataboutery.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It's not at all funny given that the 'new deal' is a complete non story. An update to an existing agreement that won't materially change anything

And Braverman isn't attacking illegal immigration, she's attacking asylum seekers

She's doing very little to stop illegal immigration, and a lot to further oppress people genuinely fleeing persecution

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

How many safe countries did they pass through before reaching the UK to “flee persecution” ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are they legally obliged to remain in the first safe country and if so, under what specific law?

To my knowledge, the Refugee Convention does not make the claim that they must remain in the first safe country (simply because there are many reasons why they might not).

you’re referring to the Dublin agreement? That no longer applies to the UK since brexit. Theyre bound by the UN convention and if someone washes up on UK shores and immediately makes their way to ask for asylum (or indeed makes a request when being picked up mid channel) the UK is legally bound to process that claim.

the problem is that that process is too slow and, absent ID cards, it’s easy for said asylum seeker to disappear into the UK’s black economy. fix those two things and the problem would reduce to some extent.

• Advertisement

There is nothing in the Geneva convention that says a refugee has to stay in the first 'safe country'

Given that refugees usually never return to their home country, they are entitled to make their way to a country that they choose to apply for asylum in. There can be lots of reasons why they would choose one country over another. You would obviously want to re-settle in a place where you feel you can succeed, where you speak the language, and maybe have friends or family who can help you to settle down.

The Geneva convention says that refugees can only apply for asylum when they are in the country they are applying to, (or if there is a processing centre that has been set up for that purpose)

Asylum seekers are not illegal immigrants, they are asylum seekers. They have rights under international law and are entitled to be treated humanely and have their needs met while their application is being processed. If their application is rejected, they can be deported

There is a sentence 'Coming Directly' in the geneva convention which has been mis-interpreted by the right wing press to mean that they have to stop at the first 'safe country' but this is not how it has been interpreted by pretty much every court that has ever looked at it, including the British courts who ruled in 1999 that travelling through one or more countries to get to somewhere is still going directly there.

Adimi, R (on the application of) v Uxbridge Magistrates Court & Anor [1999] EWHC Admin 765 (29 July 1999) (bailii.org)

(a) “Coming directly ”

17. The respondents accept that a literal construction of “directly” would contravene the clear purpose of the Article and they accordingly accept that this condition can be satisfied even if the refugee passes through intermediate countries on his way to the United Kingdom. But that is only so, they argue, provided that he could not reasonably have been expected to seek protection in any such intermediate country and this will not be the case unless he has actually needed, rather than merely desired, to come to the United Kingdom. In short it is the respondents’ contention that Article 31 allows the refugee no element of choice as to where he should claim asylum. He must claim it where first he may: only considerations of continuing safety would justify impunity for further travel.

18. For my part I would reject this argument. Rather I am persuaded by the applicants’ contrary submission, drawing as it does on the travaux préparatoires, various Conclusions adopted by UNHCR’s executive committee (ExCom), and the writings of well respected academics and commentators (most notably Professor Guy Goodwin-Gill, Atle Grahl-Madsen, Professor James Hathaway and Dr Paul Weis), that some element of choice is indeed open to refugees as to where they may properly claim asylum. I conclude that any merely short term stopover en route to such intended sanctuary cannot forfeit the protection of the Article, and that the main touchstones by which exclusion from protection should be judged are the length of stay in the intermediate country, the reasons for delaying there (even a substantial delay in an unsafe third country would be reasonable were the time spent trying to acquire the means of travelling on), and whether or not the refugee sought or found there protection de jure or de facto from the persecution they were fleeing.

19. It is worth quoting in this regard the UNHCR‘s own Guidelines with regard to the Detention of Asylum Seekers:

"The expression ‘coming directly’ in Article 31(1) covers the situation of a person who enters the country in which asylum is sought directly from the country of origin, or from another country where his protection, safety and security could not be assured. It is understood that this term also covers a person who transits an intermediate country for a short period of time without having applied for, or received, asylum there. No strict time limit can be applied to the concept ‘coming directly’ and each case must be judged on its merits."

The right wing press love to quote this 'coming directly' clause because they think it means other countries have to deal with all the refugees, even if those refugees end up in overcrowded camps in awful conditions

The fact that they do not care at all about these people and see them as sub-human and 'someone else's' problem' is part of the reason why they are considered to be on the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Neither the UN Refugee Convention nor the Dublin Agreement oblige refugees to seek asylum in the first safe country which they reach. They never have contained any such obligation. A few moments thought will show why no country is ever likely to bind itself to a treaty which contains such an obligation — the country that happened to be neighbour to a country at war, a failed state or a brutal dictatorship would be obliged to handle all the refugees from their unfortunate neighbour. For obvious reasons, this would not be good either for the country concerned or for the refugees, so such a term has never featured in any refugee treaty. This is clear to all except those who are highly motivated not to understand it.

The Dublin Regulation, or Dublin III is often thought to mean that an Asylum seeker has to apply for refuge in the first European country they arrive at.

This is not always the case.

The Dublin III regulation aims to identify the most appropriate country for that asylum seeker to be processed. The very first criteria is whether that asylum seeker has family in another EU country, or has family who are already having an asylum application being processed in another Dublin member country.

It's possible a refugee could get on a plane from Syria to Shannon directly (if there was such a flight) and immediately claim Asylum, he may then be moved to France for processing if his family are already there and have started their application in France

The 2nd criteria is if the applicant has previously lived or worked in another 'Dublin Member' country

after thar, there is an agreement to move an asylum application another Dublin Member country where they had their fingerprints taken

I understand that. But the UK can no longer apply those criteria.

Half of the migrants are Albanians. An Albanian expedition linked to criminal gangsters.

Let's stop with the propaganda that they are all Syrian or Afghani refugees, because they are not.

As per the official UK government website on this matter:

From May to September 2022 Albanian nationals alone comprised 42% of small boat crossings, with 11,102 Albanians arriving by small boat in those five months.

So whilst you are talking about the particulars of asylum and refugees, the reality is that neither of these apply to Albanians; a NATO member and a country that hasn't seen war in 20-years.

Sunak and Braverman must clamp down to ensure every single Albanian is flown out of the UK, back to Albania, as soon as possible - coupled with a lifetime ban on ever entering the UK again.

This is the reality of what the UK is facing, and what Sunak and Braverman are attempting to solve:

You and others try to portray this as innocent refugees fleeing for their lives.

The only fleeing going on is when migrants land on the UK, and try to escape into the wilderness never to be officially registered in the UK.

All this talk of asylum and refugees is a distraction from what's actually happening on the ground.

You've got some front, I'll give you that. I'm working class,love my country and I've never compromised my principles.Can you say the same?

In my experience, the people who profess most loudly to love their country always vote for the worst possible outcomes for its people. Always.

They’re always going to come while there are no ID cards and no effort whatsoever to clampdown on the back economy. That has to be part of stopping the it, probably the biggest part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So, we aren't even talking about 40k, it now just the Albanians. So all this handwringing over 11k people? Really?

A county of nearly 75m is willing to break international law because its government cannot find a way to deal with 11k people?

And it is going to pay the French 75m pa, along with already having paid Rwanda 150m to deal with this problem?

Advertisement