Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Get yourself a Coros Pace 2, nothin in the Garmin range for less than €200 comes even close. The Coros training hub has all the modern metrics but if you just want a watch that can be programmed with bespoke sessions its also your only man. A basic watch, light as a feather, last days and days without charging, everything you will need for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Not the fenix, but the 255 is pretty much on a par feature wise with the 955 and Harvey Norman have the music version in store for €320 at the moment. It's 49 grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I upgraded from a perfectly good Garmin Forerunner 10 to the FR 235 several years ago specifically for the Workout/Sessions option and it was definitely worth it for that functionality alone. Personally, the rest of the functionality I can take or leave but being able to set up workouts/sessions was essential after I got to a certain point with my running. I've since upgraded to the 245 when the 235's battery life became unmanageable but that move was less significant.

I guess the important features depend on what type of runner you are, trail runners might need maps, battery life for ultra-runners etc.

Fenix 6 is down to £299 at currys for black friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

For the weight and probably everything else you might ever want to know about the watch, have a read of this review.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/garmin-fenix6-pro-solar-series-review.html

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TheRef

I've had a Fenix 6x Pro for the last year. I was never an avid watch wearer before, but did have a Apple Watch for a couple of years a while back. I was concerned buying it as it is large and I often found watches uncomfortable while working at a desk (which is all the time).

After about 4 months, I replaced the default band with a Nylon velcro strap and very very rarely has the watch felt uncomfortable or even intrusive. It's only an issue if my arm swells a little and the strap is a little tight, but a quick reset of the velcro strap sorts that immediately.

I've never had an issue running with it in terms of weight or size. Although a lot of money, I've never once regretted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

This. I have mine almost two years now and the battery life is still amazing. It's also super easy to programme complex sessions on it which was the main reason I upgraded from my previous watch. I wouldnt look past the Pace 2 if I was buying a watch purely for running. Obviously the likes of the Fenix offer many other features but they're more relavant for hikers and trail runners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

@Butterbeans I suppose I'm asking in a long winded way, are the newer, or more indepth data features on new watches worth the upgrade, and what features do people find really useful?

I had the 35 also and upgraded to the 645. As already mentioned the ability to add more complicated sessions is worth the upgrade if your running needs that. There were also smaller things that I found worthwhile. The ability of the watch to light up when you flick the wrist while running at night was very useful. Much better than having the backlight on all the time. The really small thing of having labels for the data fields on the display. Garmin forces you to go up a couple of ladders on the range for this for some reason but looking at three metrics on the watch and trying to remember which is distance, pace or time caught me out more than once in a race especially if I was flicking between using kms or miles.

The ability to listen to music/podcasts also attracted me to the watch but I've stopped doing that and find it better to run without. Adding music is also painful unless you subscribe to spotify. Things like sleep tracking, pulse oxidation, stride length, vertical oscillation, ground contact time and all those extra bits of info - I've no interest in those. It's not like I'd really be able to make changes to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I have the 945. I got it because of it's triathlon capability but it's a very accomplished running watch. For me I use the ability to add session, it has maps, routes, navigation and compass. It has onboard and online music and Garmin pay which I find myself using all of the time. I have turned off a load of features like DeepBlue mentioned as I just don't need/want them. You can get that watch for ~350 at the moment but I'm sure there are sales starting now shortly where it would get reduced more. I suppose what I'm saying is, like others, you can get a very high spec watch without having to fork out for the very latest version and I suspect it could cover all of your needs.

p.s. 935/945/955 are all a plastic body as opposed to the fenix range and therefore weigh much less if that is a consideration to you

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Advertisement

Has anyone here experimented with going on a keto diet and still having enough energy to run?

The reason I ask is I have recently started reading

Born to Run 2: The Ultimate Training Guide

I'll admit that I've only briefly skimmed over the book as at the moment I'm currently doing 15 days of training for a new job so my head is a bit full of other things at the moment.

The book suggests starting out with the two-week test as advocated by Phil Maffetone

To be honest it seems a bit restrictive. I have no idea where to even begin with the food that he allows in the 2-week period plus I question his qualifications in the area of nutrition especially as he is a qualified chiropractor which I feel is a profession dominated by junk science.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. I just wanted to get others opinions on what it's like going low carb/ keto while maintaining some form of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I've taken a bit of a break from running since the marathon, but my young lad wants to do a bit of training over the winter to keep up his fitness for his hurling. He turns 10 in February and would be fairly active, although I'm his U11 coach and he's not as active as I'd like him to be. He is a good hurler and has great commitment to it so he's keen to show that he's one of the more "senior" players when they start training again after Xmas.

I've been taking him out for a few runs at night during the week for the past three weeks, slowing building up to a 5K which he was to do before Christmas. We ended up doing this 5K last week and did it in 29.03 and it wasn't in great conditions running with a head torch in the dark. He then asked could I bring him to junior parkrun on sunday morning, so off we set. He came second in a time of 9.31 which he's obviously delighted about, considering the last time I took him there a year ago, he threw a strop and walked half of it, because he set off at a sprint and obviously couldn't maintain it.

So my question is, what's my best plan here to keep him enjoying his running but not wanting to make it sound like training. Is the couch to 5K for adults appropriate or is there a C25K for kids? Given that he can run 5K without stopping, is it even relevant? Our running club don't have a junior section, so there's nothing there for him at present. What's the most he should be running at that age and how many sessions? I'm thinking I don't want him running beyond 5K really, or more than 4 sessions a week, with a total mileage of about <10 miles.

The most important consideration for me is not to make it appear that it's my decision but he does ask can we do different things rather than just steady runs. I've taken him for a easy hill rep session and a slow fartlek session but this was more just to show him what all training can entail. Any advice would be greatly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think the parkrun is a good idea. The junior one is good when it's him running with his peers. The senior one Sat morn 5km would be more challenging but might be interesting for him with a change of pace and something nice you can do together. A treat after of a bun or hot chocolate helps. I think at his age it's trying to find the balance of not pushing too much, keeping things interesting and fun. It's running and not a race. Fartlek is a good session you can do with him - in the dark evenings sprint to a lamp post, jog to the next, change up the paces and might be useful to him as a hurler. Keep the sessions short and don't forget warm up and cool down.

Our wellness committee in work organised a speaker to give a talk on this a while back and we all got a year subscription (if we wanted it) to his company who promote and support a way of eating that to all intent and purposes is keto. The speaker was very charismatic and of course he had all the stats and impressive looking pie charts to back up the health benefits, you couldn't help buying in to the approach. The speaker was a dad of 2 young children and his whole family follow this way of eating (or so he claims), when he told us how many eggs they go through in a week, the whole room nearly choked - I can't remember the exact number but it was definitely 3 figures! I tried it for about 2 weeks and that was enough for me to get tired of eggs & bacon and to miss my porridge (which apparently has the same bodily effects as eating a bowl of coco pops - I think it was at this point he lost some of the audience). I don't recall the effects, if any, on my running, and I don't think I did it for long enough anyway, surely there is an adaptation phase. Definitely an interesting topic alright. I could be completely wrong, but I think @ThebitterLemon from around here may follow this way of eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TheRef

It's probably about 8 years or more, but I followed a keto diet for close to 6 months when I was a 5-6 day a week gym rat, focusing on weights more than cardio. So, while not quite what you are asking about, there is a lot of similarities.

The first thing I made sure to do is to actually get into a state of ketosis as there is a lot of nonsense promoting pills and berries from the Himalayas that clouded a lot of the understanding and conversations. I tested most days to ensure I remained in ketosis.

My honest opinion though and remembering it was 8 years ago, is that it wasn't that difficult to find a variety of foods that allowed me to mix it up. After I went through the keto-flu, things evened out and I had as much energy as before, no more or no less. The one thing it did do is avoid the sugar cravings and blood sugar spikes that a carb-based diet sometimes brings.

Would I do it again? Nah, probably not, but if it interests you, then why not give it a shot and see how it works out. I don't think it is something you can dip in and out of every so often as keto-flu, at least for me, was not pleasant, and if I remember correctly, it took nearly two weeks of eating <50g carbs/day just to get into a state of ketosis, and some effort every day to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Yep, I’ve been doing it for 3 years.

Best thing I ever did, hair stopped falling out, skin improved, rarely get cold sore and energy levels vastly improved.

You get used to it and you can have a keto substitute for almost anything.

Don’t miss sugar or carbs but I get that it’s not for everyone

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Has anyone got a positive story of recovering from an IT Band injury or recommendations for someone to see?

I've been struggling for over two months now with some improvement but not to the point I can run. Going down stairs is still painful. I've had an MRI and been to the physio and physical therapist multiple times.

It's starting to really get me down, the base I'd built is completely gone and I'll be (hopefully) starting from scratch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Having small surgery at the end of the month for an inguinal hernia. Anyone have it done before and how long you out for? Different answers on the internet

Unfortunately, no one here can give you a definite answer of when will be recovered enough from the surgery to be able to get back to exercising you would be best discussing your recovery time with a qualified professional such as a surgeon carrying out the procedure. I have no idea what a inguinal hernia is so I asked ChatGPT what is and how long it takes to recover from, and this is the answer that it gave me.

"It is important to follow your surgeon's instructions for post-operative care and to wait until you have been cleared to return to physical activity before starting to exercise after surgery for an inguinal hernia. In general, most people are able to return to work and their normal activities within a few weeks after the surgery, but it is important to start gradually and listen to your body as you return to your normal exercise routine. Your surgeon will be able to give you specific instructions for when you can start exercising again and what types of activities are safe for you to do. It is usually recommended to start with low-impact activities, such as walking or stationary cycling, and to gradually increase the intensity and duration of your workouts as you heal and feel stronger. It is also important to avoid lifting heavy objects or doing activities that put strain on the abdominal muscles until you have fully recovered."

Best of luck with the surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery, so you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone knowledgeable on single leg squats? A few videos I've looked at seem more about how not to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

While I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable, I've done plenty and been told by physios I am strong at them :) What sort of info you looking for? General tips?

I'd start with doing them off a high enough chair / seat, unweighted. Lower down slowly and lightly hit the seat, and drive back up. Watch for your knee collapsing inwards, I have to actively keep it straight but maybe thats a me problem not a universal one. You can eventually add weight, lower the seat etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Accuracy on doing them, yeah. It's the knee collapsing in part I'm not fully clear on...if this is to be totally avoided each time. Or is it a slower build up over time and the collapse aspect will dimish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Afaik it should be avoided each time, which is why at the beginning by not trying to squat too low you have a better chance of keeping the knee straight. Its not easy! I think when I started doing them first I had the non squatting leg lightly resting on a yoga block, just barely with the heel. That gave a little more stability as I built up the strength.

Another tip if you are not able squat down to the bench (or chair) is to put a book on the bench at the start, you could start with a thick book and work your way to a thinner book and then no book eventually. I do them in the gym so i started with a 15kg weight plate, then 10kg, then 5kg and eventually took the plate away and was able to touch my bum off the bench. I think for me it was partially a mental issue that I was afraid if I went too low I wouldn't be able get back up again 🤣 by doing it gradually I built confidence & strength with them (all of which a 2 week Christmas break seems to have completely undone 😏).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I’m not even sure what a single leg squat is any why you would need to do one !

Anyways a pacing question relating to she rotation !

So I have found myself in possession of many different shoes - dunno 🤷‍♀️ how it happened .

I would usually wear endorphin speeds ( version 2 maybe ) for tempo work but last night was too wet and they aren’t great with wet . So I wore adidas pros. I was supposed to do hmp and for the life of me couldn’t run that pace in those shoes - kept going faster - Struggled even to slow down to tenk pace . I plan on doing races in Vaporflys which are even faster again and will need to practice in these . Should I continue to try and hit hmp in the super shoes during training or should I adjust the pace when wearing these to make sure I’m using correct effort for training . Or should it be a mix . ? I can see an argument for both .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The issue with pace during sessions will clear up the more you use the super shoe. I use vaporflys or next% tempo during sessions as they help me be more consistent mechanically at the required pace which rightly or wrong I feel allows me to keep better form to race at that pace when the time comes, especially at the later part of long distance when the body is hurting.

For example a session I like is a 16 mile with 3 x 3 mile at HMP(2 minutes float) sandwiched in between 6 easy miles, if I was to wear my easy day shoe(reebok floatride-poor mans ghost) for this one I would find the tail end of the second and third interval would not be mechanically clean whereas the super shoe allows me to hold better form later in the session contributing to running form moving forward, also it just feels like hard work to wear old tech for strong sessions when new tech helps to get it done(again the laziness)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Would wearing old tech for sessions and hitting the paces not mean you could run faster in the race with new tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Possibly but the extra cushioning from the supershoes also allows for quicker recovery and means you're hitting the next session fresher. This probably enables you to train better over the course of a block. That's what I tell myself anyway. The truth is that the supershoes are just more fun to run fast in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

A propos of the last few posts....I have made a decision to only race in the stiff plated race shoes. The less rigid carbon or nylon plated shoes are more forgiving for day to day stuff and non plated for easy running/long days.

I also remember reading that one of the benefits of off road running is that it strengthens a bigger range of muscles in the feet and legs. These get less stimulation when road running. I have transferred this thinking to wearing different stack heights, foam softness, rigid plated, soft plated and non plated.

Below is an interesting piece from Doctors of Running, a group of physical therapists and physios with an interest in running, on the subject of the overwearing of supershoes.

"Despite the continued excitement around super shoes, we at Doctors of Running have continued to suggest using a variety of shoes not just for daily training but also for workouts. 

One reason for this suggestion is that using a rotation of shoes is one of the few things that have been found to decrease injury risk (Malisoux et al., 2015).

The other more in-depth and less defined reasons are that we are still unsure of the impacts of some of the new super shoes on our mechanics and tissue physiology.

It isn't that these types of shoes are bad, but whenever you spend large amounts of time in something, your body will start adapting towards it. Whether the adaptations are good or bad is what we do not know.

Thus far, we know that compared to traditional shoes, super shoes tend to make the greatest biomechanical impacts at the ankle. Studies have suggested that there is significantly decreased ankle work and dorsiflexion angles in these shoes compared to traditional footwear. There is also evidence that our bodies change how we shock absorb in these shoes, with runners tending to land with far stiffer mechanics in super shoes compared to traditional shoes (Kulmala et al., 2018; Pollard et al., 2018). This may explain why despite the continued progress in footwear development and increases in cushioning, running-related injury rates have remained consistent. Whether these changes are good or not is controversial. There are continued reports of decreased delayed onset muscle soreness following hard training in these super shoes. From a tissue adaptation standpoint, we don't know what is happening. We have discussed repeatedly that these maximalist, rockered shoes reduce stress on the Achilles tendon (Agresta et al., 2022). This can be fantastic for someone with Achilles issues to train through irritation. However the Achilles tendon, like any other tissue, maintains or increases its tensile strength and stiffness in response to appropriate loads. Reducing those loads consistently may have negative consequences on the tensile strength and stiffness of the tendon (Agresta et al, '22). It is for that reason that we also suggest having a variety of shoes to do workouts in as well as a more traditional uptempo/workout shoe that may provide some greater contrast to the super shoes of today. These traditional shoe types still have an important place both for those transitioning to faster running as well as changing up the types of loads and stresses experienced runners go through to maintain well-rounded and resilient tissue."

Post edited by skyblue46 on

Advertisement