Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police called to hotel on day of the National Party AGM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yoke

which group do you think I meant? There is enough info in my post.

were the group in the minibus holding an AGM?

so, logically, if I said the arseholes were having an AGM, and you knew the minibus group weren’t having an AGM, which group is it likely I was talking about?

use your **** brain please before replying to me next time, thx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Really? I don't see any cones around there. Would you like to share a link to the cones you found?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Oh no not an AGM!

Masked thugs travelling around assaulting people with different political beliefs .

That's literally the definition of fascism - violent suppression of political opposition.

Ring the gardai, express your concerns. There is no justification for vigilantism . And there is no condoning it either.

go and read my first post again titled “paradox of tolerance”. Don’t reply to me until you understand it this time, cheers.

“ring the Gardai and express your concerns” hahaha, thanks for giving me a good laugh. The Gardai are only human and cannot defend everyone 24/7. So people learned to sort their own **** problems, nipping them in the bud.

vigilantism automatically goes away when the problem causing it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You don’t understand your own post titled “paradox of tolerance” by the looks of your post above. The paradox applies in a very specific context -

The chapter in question explicitly defines the context to that of political institutions and the democratic process, and rejects the notion of "the will of the people" having valid meaning outside of those institutions. Thus, in context, Popper's acquiescence to suppression when all else has failed applies only to the state in a liberal democracy with a constitutional rule of law that must be just in its foundations, but will necessarily be imperfect.

ie that it is the responsibility of the Judiciary, and not the will of the people, which must ensure a balance between people’s freedoms, and tolerance of intolerance. The paradox doesn’t apply to people who choose to take the law into their own hands to mete out their own brand of justice.

The arseholes who organised the AGM are undoubtedly intolerant arseholes, but you can’t use the principle of the paradox of intolerance to justify the behaviour of the group of arseholes in the minibus who took the law into their own hands.

Contrary to your opinion, there exists plenty of evidence to suggest that vigilantism only exacerbates problems, it doesn’t make them go away, and it is the duty and responsibility of the authorities such as the Gardaí and the PSNI to defend everyone 24/7, regardless of their political beliefs.

As it turns out, the PSNI DID respond to a call -

Inspector Taylor of the PSNI said: "It was reported that a conference, which was being held in the area, had been disrupted by protestors and an altercation broke out.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2022/1113/1335893-hotel-row/

That’s what is meant by the paradox of intolerance and being intolerant of intolerance. The authorities of the Judiciary, not the people, will be the arbiters of justice, as determined by instruments of law, not popular opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Every democratic country has parties from the far right to the extreme left. You defeat them by the ballot box and facing down their abhorrent views with good arguments. We don’t send thugs to assault them. That’s hardly the sort of people we want controlling political discourse.

I despise the extreme right and extreme left. I wouldn’t vote for either in a fit.

How many people vote for the NP anyway? And who exactly were the people attacking them? Are they any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

For any ordinary decent person here would you like to see the NP running this country. The answer would be hell f**king no.

Would you like to see those bus load of anti fascists running the country. The answer should also be hell f**king no.

Let them meet and talk all they want but law enforcement should be keeping a close eye on both to ensure no violence or threats of violence or any breaking of the law should be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still not able to answer a simple question.

I think we all know why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Apart from the fact they have no mandate to challenge AGM events , eventually the likes of ANTIFA turn their gaze towards people who don’t have any racial superiority notions but who merely believe that the country ( at least for the moment) has enough challenges to contend with and thus immigration level needs to be slowed , likes of ANTIFA will brand these kind of folks as “ far right “ too

they are a totalitarian ideological movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

Do you know the meaning of "deflect"? Do you know the purpose of making a comparison or an analogy in order to expose the nature of lying and misrepresentation? Yes, communists and fascists (or even worse Nazis) were allies in 1939-41. Countless thousands of dead Poles are evidence of that.

The point was never about the length of time communists and fascists were allies or enemies: it's about the assertion that they never were allies.

Clearly it's impossible to have a reasonable argument with you. Over and Out.

I know exactly what deflect means!

The source of this line of discussion comes from Danzy stating that

The Communists and Fascists were close allies longer than they were enemies.

This statement is simply not true, some poster raised the Ribbentrop Molotov pact as a distraction and deflection by way of defence of Danzys statement.

However the Ribbentrop pact was only active for over a year and and the period of war between nazi fascist Germany and Stalins communist Russia is longer than the period the non aggression pact lasted. So this pact does not prove danzys statement, that fascists were allies longer than there enemies.

Now is that enough of this deflection?

Hey elon do you want more publicity for the leader of identity Ireland a far right racist group. Who have previously posted about throwing a muslim in Ireland into the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Belying that image he is actually divorced and remarried separated from his previous partner and in a new relationship. So not only an extremist but a hypocritical one. Delightful.

i actually do understand my own post, thanks for your input.

I know well it is theoretically the responsibility of the justice system (aka judiciary) to solve all crime in the country.

But in practice, this is completely unworkable with present resources. Perhaps in the age of AI controlled robot Gardai, we might reach such a state - who knows - but for now, with 15,000 human Gardai policing a country of 5 million, and even fewer judges/courts, this is impossible and unworkable. Perhaps you don’t understand that.

If these problems are not nipped in the bud, they grow. USA and UK have already failed to nip these problems in the bud in their environments, resulting in brexit and similar issues for those countries.

would you allow a meeting of paedophiles to discuss ways to subvert the law in order to be able to continue and grow their paedophilic community?

if not, then why is it OK for a group which has even been designated a hate group by watchdog organisations to run meetings to discuss how to increase the size of their group?

I’m well aware that theoretically this should be handled by the countries justice system.

the point I’m making is that this is a retarded and unworkable system, and we need to be more realistic in our expectations of the Gardai and justice system. They cannot cope with this sort of organisation once they reach a certain critical mass.

This is seen every time there’s a crowd - often the Gardai are forced to ask ordinary people to leave instead of forcing the unruly mob to leave an area.

Most recently I’ve seen this in the incident at Cherry Orchard where the Garda car was rammed by a stolen car, twice, and the Garda car had to speed away.

perhaps your understanding of the subject is not as good as you think - it’s one thing to understand the theory, but another thing to understand the practical limitations of that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

a group which has even been designated a hate group by watchdog organisations

Is this one of those watchdog organisatons?

But they also designate the Iona Institute as a 'hateful and extremist group'. Would that make it okay to attack mainstream journalists like David Quinn or Breda O'Brien in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Margaret Thatcher became sceptical of EU membership while she was still Prime Minister.

British Euroscepticism was never a fringe movement. There were always senior Tories and established media like The Spectator pushing it for decades.

There is a difference between a criminal conspiracy and a meeting of a party whose ideas have been 'designated' as 'hateful' by independent orgs.

The lack of Garda numbers has nothing to do with it as they don't arrest people for belonging to dodgy political parties to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No, No. He's in the right place.

Ah would you not keep going for a while? I'm not sure our answer to Jeremy Paxman has asked the same question enough times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

A U.S.-based 'watchdog' with little or no understanding of the context of Irish Catholicism calls a Catholic group 'extremist'.

Typical Yank ignorance.

But American misunderstandings of Irish culture are not relevant to Irish people.

Justin Barrett captured 183 first preference votes in the 2021 General Election.

The idea that Ireland is at risk of being captured itself by the National Party is utterly embarrassing. Who wastes their time on fringe losers like this?

If Barrett commits a criminal offense, such as inciting violence, the law will deal with him.

Apart from that, his looney opinions on homosexuality and abortion and race and so on, must be tolerated in a free society. After all, most of his social conservative views are shared by the Catholic Church and Muslims throughout this country. It's nothing new.

Why give this group the oxygen of publicity? That's a far more pertinent question I think.

What weapons were they carrying?

Masking up is good practice on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes, indeed, the types who condone or equivocate about people being hit in the head with hammers are scummy to their core.

Funny thing is you can be fairly sure that they couldnt fight sleep but will still cheer from the sidelines

That's right, we do all know why, given that I've clarified the reason multiple times. I'm not going to play your game of condemnation politics, particularly given that it is based on an entirely false premise of the nice, civil, peaceful NP members being attacked by the big bad bogeymen from antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i actually do understand my own post, thanks for your input.

You clearly don’t understand your own post as the paradox of tolerance doesn’t justify vigilantism. It’s not just the responsibility of the Justice system to solve all crimes in this country, and the Justice system is not “aka” the Judiciary.

With current resources, it is still the responsibility and duty of the authorities of the Gardaí (‘The Guardians of the Peace’ isn’t just a nickname) and in this particular case the PSNI to protect everyone regardless of their political beliefs. Whatever lack of resources there are still doesn’t mean anyone has the authority to take the law into their own hands to mete out their own particular brand of justice. In this particular case, the PSNI dealt with the situation, and it’s your “AI Garda robots” are the stuff of hysterical nonsense.

That’s why regardless of however any group of people are categorised by another group of people, it doesn’t justify one group taking the law into their own hands, because that sort of vigilantism isn’t nipping anything in the bud, it only incites retaliation, as opposed to justice within the context of the Constitution which recognises the rights of everyone to freedom of assembly, freedom of association, freedom of expression and all that sort of good stuff in a liberal, democratic society, and and places an obligation on the State to uphold and protect those freedoms, while limiting States interference with those rights -

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html

While you’re at it, you should look up the concept of the Separation of powers and how it functions (be no harm to familiarise yourself with the Irish Constitution either) before getting yourself worked up about nipping anything in the bud 🙄

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/main_institutions_of_the_state.html

'Mandate'? What kind of 'mandate' do you need to challenge an AGM event? What kind of mandate to you need to host an AGM event? It's fairly nonsensical to be talking about mandates here. These aren't elections.

The 'false flag' deflection seems to be a routine part of these discussions, whenever far right activists see something being done by far right activists that they don't particularly approve of. So when in Rome.....

Did you miss the reports earlier on this thread showing that a group of people had been convicted of the attack where you're claiming that one person was  released without charge? https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/suspended-sentences-over-clash-with-anti-islam-group-on-luas-1.4080784 This might be a good time for you to revise your claims of inherent bias and to stop playing the victim.

It looks like you're ignoring my question about further examples of the 'terrible habit' you referred to. Apparently a 'terrible habit' is just one case now.

It's really difficult to take your hugely principled concerns about acts of violence too seriously, given your victim-blaming of Izzy and downplaying of her serious injuries. Pots and black kettles spring to mind.

• Advertisement

If people want to challenge the NP abhorrent views, then surely those challenges must be tolerated in a free society?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement