Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term Rent

Options
  • 14-11-2022 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

So i've tried to find something about this query elsewhere so I'm just wondering if anyone here can help?

I'm currently sale agreed on my place but it's taking ages to go through. The person who was renting a room off me moved out at the start of October so I'm down that money plus I'm continuing to save for a mortgage. I was thinking of renting the spare room out for a month as I'm pretty sure my own sale won't be sorted in this time and I wouldn't mind having a few quid coming into Christmas.

Is it possible for me to rent out the room for such a short period of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

You can rent it for whatever length of time you want

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

ok great stuff thanks.

My previous roommate was my friend, so she was getting well below market rate and basically had free reign. Obviously this is a short term but should i take a deposit? Any other advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just make sure you state the terms of the rent clearly to whoever takes it i.e. the fact that it's strictly for a month. You're within your rights to set whatever limit you want on the tenancy. But make sure to put it in writing so there's no ambiguity.

What if they refuse to leave at the end of a month? You could be giving yourself all sorts of problems.

For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Airbnb it. It’s off season but if you’re in a city you should have no issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

That's a lot of work, especially for just a month,

Yeah, you can let them know its for a month or however long, I would take a two week deposit.

There may be people on placement, between accommodation or whatever, if you rent it , great, if you don't, youve lost nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

The only thing I’d say is that people on Airbnb are generally just looking for something short term, and won’t try and stay longer, be careful around letting people in who say they’ll stay for a month but may be desperate, been in that situation years ago, and they wouldn’t leave a flat I was renting and needed someone in because my flat mate moved out, oh and wouldn’t pay rent either, it was a nightmare.

lone other thing on Airbnb it pays a lot more, probably between 90 and 150 a night depending on where you are p, could go up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, do you live in the house?

You can change the locks and and/or call the guards, it's nopt a lease agreement. It's always been the same way in Ireland.

If you do go ahead, double and triple check that this wouldn't come under the eviction ban now in place.

Plus, its worth considering that it might make whomever is purchasing the house from you a bit nervous, if you start moving people in now.

Vacant possession will be needed for the sale to go through.

• Advertisement

End of the day I suppose I personally wouldn’t risk it for the sake of a month Airbnb or not, it’d be typically the kind of thing that’d Banjax you, well guaranteed it’d banjax me anyway, that seems to be my relationship with the universe.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Ffs people, know before commenting!

Op lives there, will be renting a room. It's a licensee, not a tenant and there's zero rights afforded under tenancy law.

So there's no need to have written agreement, contract, eviction notices or issues with changing locks. The only issue is because it's only a month, the licensee could steal everything including the kitchen sink.

Advertisement