Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

And you lost against a bad team.

WE are a bad team. Still stomped the Patriots though.

My point is that he's just a running back under center. Teams will adjust to stop the run and he's got nothing then.

You act like the kid cannot throw the football which is insane. He was one of the best passers in college and was a 1st round talent based purely on his arm talent. For some reason you always refer solely to how many yards a QB has passing the ball and totally ignore important things like pass atempts. When you posted saying he only had 152 yards you failed to mention he was 11/17 (9 Y/A) with 2 passing TDs. That is efficient QB play. He isn't throwing more because he's working with a poor pass blocking o-line and weak WRs. One of our only strengths on offense is running the ball because the line is far better at run blocking and we have 2 great RBs, so why would we ask him to throw it 40 times a game right now.

His full stat line today was 12/20 for 167 yards, 2 passing TDs and 1 INT (pick 6). He also rushed for 147 and had 2 rushing TDs. He's put up 29+ points 4 games in a row and has 8 passing TDs/5 rushing TDs in that time.

I'd also love to hear how you'd just "stop the run" and seemingly end his NFL career.

Well, if we ignore the fact he was horrific in Denver and there are multiple ex-players who'll happily tell you how awful he is: They've blown 3 17+ point leads this season and are one of the most undisciplined teams in the league. That's on the coaching. He also just lost to a TV analyst. His shtick doesn't work without Bill.

He's taken over a team that's had one winning season in the last five years.

That's an amazing bit of spin. He took over a 10-7 playoff team and turned them into a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Are we all in agreement that the holding call against dallas in OT was bullshit? There is one of them on 90% of run plays that are never called.

Minnesota mightily changed my opinion on them today with some help and a bit of luck along the way they stood up big. JJ is different gravy.

Hard to envisage the chiefs not being the 1 seed looking at the schedules going forward imo. Back to back wins for the bucs but I still dont trust them to sort their **** out shut KWIII down well today tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So the niners were down in the goal.line with a minute to ay and three points up. On 4tn down they decide to take the field goal to go six points up. It made no sense to me. You go for the td, game is over if you get it and if you don't they have to go close to sixty yards just to tie it up. You take the field goal they have to go 75 for the win and not a tie, I prefer option one.

Anyways it worked out because they picked off Herbert but I think that was flawed thinking from Shanahan.

Fields completion percentage is below sixty percent and he's thrown 6 ints to 10 TDs, that may have changed to 12 to 7 after tonight but it's still a very high td to int ratio. That's pretty awful, it puts him 30th in the league on completion percentage.

His first 4 weeks in a new offense with a first time playcaller who wasn't playing to the strengths of the current roster are doing some real heavy lifting there to support your narrative that he's a useless QB. How about looking at his stats from week 5 onwards when they started to show some signs that they were settling down finding their way and have improved every week since?

Weeks 5-10

Passing: 88/140 (63%). 1,018 YDS. 10 TD/3 INT

I know after watching Tom Brady for 20 years you absolutely detest any QB who can run faster than 5 mph (which also explains why you were in love with Mac Jones coming out of college) but in the modern NFL being able to hurt teams with your legs is actually seen as a positive, so here are his rushing stats since week 5.

70 runs for 602 YDS (8.6 YPC/100 YPG avg). 5 TDs.

He is the 6th highest rusher in the entire league and at 749 yards on the season he has more rushing yards than the Rams (547), Bucs (707) and Chargers (713).

He has 1620 total yards and 15 TDs / 3 INTs in the last 6 games. We're also averaging 25.5 PPG over the past 6 weeks. A QB's job is to move the ball up and down the field putting up points. He is doing that and making smart decisions most of the time (pick 6 aside) with a weak supporting cast.

In addition, he has improved massively over the past 6 weeks when it comes to his pre & post snap recognition of coverage and working through his progressions in the pocket. If you were watching his games instead of just pretending to and box score scouting you would see that yourself. There are plenty of film study videos on YouTube from former pro QBs and Superbowl winners like Trent Dilfer, JT O'Sullivan, Kurt Warner and Josh McCown showing all of this.

Wait until the Bears actually get him an offensive line that can pass block and another WR or two before completely writing him off as nothing more than a runner. He's doing incredibly well with what he has to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'm actually beginning to detest this thread, gone very toxic. If this is the discussions people want instead of people posting their picks then work away

I've watched most Bears games and it's clear you are all in on current players and ready to dismiss former players. The best Bear this year was Roquan Smith but you were saying he wasn't doing it after he was traded

I've never said anything negative about Fields rushing. All I've said is that teams will figure out how to stop that and he hasn't shown a passing game to survive once they stop him running so well.

I've nothing against QB's who can run with the ball. My favourite QB to watch right now is Jalen Hurts. Two of the best in the league are Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen and they run with the ball. The difference is that they are all premium pocket passers. Without checking I'd guess they are all passing with a completion percentage of 65 or higher. They are all passing for well over 200 yards per game too and they all have a good td to int ratio as well, although Josh Allen's has taken a hit over the last two weeks.

If a guy can stand in the pocket and be successful then he's going to do very well in the NFL and being a good runner enhances his chances of being a great one aka Russell Wilson along with those mentioned above.

If you look at Superbowl winners over the last five or ten years you'll find that successful pocket passers have lifted the Vince Lombardi at the end of the season. It's no accident that Lamar and Kyler Murray haven't come close and they are both better passers than Fields.

What you've got on your hands right now is a better runner than Mitch Trubisky. As soon as they stop the run he has nothing.

I'm the exact opposite, I detest people posting their picks. That's not what this thread is about, it's for discussing this season's football.

You should have a separate boring thread for picks so you are not disrupting real conversation about football.

There used to be a lot more discussion in the season thread but people come on nowadays and all they see is people putting up picks and putting up results of picks and it's hard to find proper conversation about football.

And fwiw you are all hopeless at picking winners. I did it once a couple of years back and was miles ahead of the rest of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wow, not only is he a QB-whisperer, but he is clearly the best tipster in the game too (despite no evidence). Trump levels of self-congratulation

I can understand Paulie's sentiment.

If you don't believe me them go and check.

You are obviously a thanks whore comparing me to Trump. That's highly insulting but it'll get you a thanks or two no doubt.

Calling me a QB whisperer is another stupid comment. If you have a proper argument then post it. Otherwise shut up and don't make any dumb, childish comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Nobody getting more than 8/14 this round, not even me the Nostradamus II. Even Paul the octopus could not pick some of these results.

And here's a link to where I was after week 9 the year I did it and it's with three less games than you've had. I had 90 wins at that stage which is four more that the best of you this year.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/101600104/#Comment_101600104

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't get how you don't see why your posts rub people up the wrong way? I agree that there should be a separate thread for discussion and picks. However there is no need to call them boring nor is there any need to start bragging at how great you are at them, that has no chance of getting what you want. I am sure you did beat everyone and I just don't care, you call others childish but there is no particular need for the insult. Some obviously find it fun and presumably people posting them have varying levels of interest in the thread.

Maybe start a thread with discussion in the name and see if this thread can get renamed picks and it will be easy enough to separate for people popping in.

@eagle eye Is there something stopping you setting up a discussion thread if you don't like it here

This is the discussion thread. It's called the regular season thread.

If you want a thread for picks you should call it a pickem season thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My weekly accum started like a train. Under 44.5 in Munich, over TD count coming in in both Bears-Lions, Viks-Bills. Chiefs, Dolphins, Giants, Titans all winning. Let's just say....it came a cropper thereafter.

Such a crazy season.

Apologies. I won't be engaging anymore as it's pointless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This thread was started by Paulie for people to post their picks and discuss the regular season. If you don't like it then don't post in it, also feel free to create a new thread if you want but please don't attempt to police who can post here and what they can post about.

Can you change the name of this thread by adding pickem to it?

Then I'll start a new thread.

I had one last weekend where I did five to score two touchdowns or more. First three came up, Ekeler, Etienne and Mixon. I had fourfolds and a fivefold. I cashed out the fourfolds for 300. The bet was 2.50 fourfolds and fivefold. Then the fourth one, Walker, came up and I let it ride with a cash out offer of 1.2k.

The last one was Kelce but he got no touchdown. I was hoping he'd get an early one and I'd have the option to cash out about 3k. That 2.50 fivefold was paying over 8k if it came up. It's a fun bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Only 5/14 for me, an all time low that does serious damage to my high average weekly score. Too many suck for me to mention here.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

7-7 takes me to 91-59 overall.

Could really have done without the Bills blowing that lead! What a great game though.

I found the contrast in the Bucs and Rams from a week ago really interesting. Last weeks game was billed as a must win for both and I think the Bucs kicking on and the Rams (albeit with a backup QB) slipping backwards again may be proving that to be true. Whatever about the Bucs and the myriad of possible reasons for their under-performance this season, I find the Rams one hard to get my head around. Ok they lost Miller and OBJ but they had looked pretty good without Miller prior to his arrival last season. For some reason we're just not seeing Donald and Ramsey have the impact on the game they were a year ago. Add to that Kupp's status as one of if not the best WR in the league seems to have overloaded him with coverage. I still think McVay is a great coach and hopefully with Stafford back he'll find a way to pull them out of this slump, it's just hard to see where it's gonna come from at the minute.

Bit mad that the Commanders are the ones to knock the Eagles off their perch but so be it. You never know, this might be the best thing that could have happened them. Gets the pressure of the undefeated tag off and gives the coaches plenty to focus on for the next few weeks of practice. Still looking good for the 1 seed regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

66-70 coming in .. 8-6 on the week takes me to 74-76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

For actual football fans here's a thread to discuss the game

It'd be nice if somebody could change the name of this thread slightly so as not to confuse people as to what it's about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

6 - 8 which brings me to 89 - 61 overall. Brutal week!

Advertisement