Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s normal now with the way cars are going. Sustainable materials, recycled parts etc

It’s good and bad at the same time I suppose but it is the way the world has to move.

Im glad others have noticed now tbh, too many people held bmw up on a pedestal in this thread and it was unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

The i4 looks almost identical to the 4 series ICE.

I suppose that’s because they are the same car with the i4 been adapted for EV use.

The i4 sits higher and doesn’t have the aggressive look of the ICE Version including the M50.

There’s no denying that either are nice cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thats because the sales people are just young fellas with pointy shoes who will not be there in a year yet alone 5 or 10 years. All they care about is their monthly or quarterly figures and their commission. My advice to anyone buying a car at this sort of level is go into the dealer and ask for the senior sales man who has been their the longest, dont deal with anyone else. I have had too many salesmen come and go on me and my goodwill and promises of good deals and trade ins vanished with them, its only when I went about going out of my way to establish a relationship with somebody in the dealership that mattered, that one actually developed. The stuff I am reading on this thread is terrible, lad spending a absolute fortune on a car and the experiance is turned from what should be an exciting one into a nightmare.

M&G were brilliant for this.

I left Duffys after empty promises after buying from them for years.

M&G were brilliant and what kept us with BMW. With Duffy and FK only left near us, it’s bitter sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Driving one of these all week and I have to say, wonderful car. Steering is quite light compared to my experience in BMWs but everything else is spot on, looks, performance, build quality, handling isn’t too bad for a heavy car either. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

What version are you driving Mark?

what spec and OTR price is the one your driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Some of the best service in the industry in my opinion is in long established Toyota dealers.

By long established I mean selling Toyotas forever.

I presume its a cultural thing in the Toyota Ireland and old school Toyota dealer culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes Toyota are well known for their customer service. They even replace some of their dodgy engines for free during a service without even telling you. The Toyota Corolla has long been the best selling car in the world. That's all finished now though. Toyota could well be gone if they don't cop onto themselves very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭joe1303l

In general, customer service with the likes of BMW dealers is directly proportional to how far you’re willing to travel from Dublin. There are exceptions but if you’re willing to travel, it can be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I’ve found over the years, Dublin BMW dealers to be the pits.

I put it down to the fact that they have such a large pool of potential customers on their doorstep they can afford not to give a toss if someone walks. In a market where they have limited supply of stock and more customers than cars I’m not surprised if they’ve gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Slightly off topic but interesting in the context of BMW customer service and premium products.

Wife has an 840d. Bought new last year. Car wouldn't start last Wednesday night. Asking for the key to be presented. We tried both keys, changing battery in the keys and the digital key. Had to leave the car in Sandyford where it was parked.

Rang BMW and they sent out a recovery truck on Thursday morning. Friday afternoon my wife got a call from BMW. The girl in BMW, and I quote, rang and asked her " what's wrong with your car?". My wife said "I was hoping you'd tell me".

Currently the car is in Dublin and the earliest they can look at it is the middle of this week. No offer of a replacement car until the wife asked. She was then asked "do you have access to another vehicle?". When she said she had, the girl was like "oh well at least you're ok then".

Premium brand.

In fairness it seems most brands are like that now. With Tesla you have to be the assertive type to get a loaner car too.

Looks to be around mid 70s for this. HK sound is fantastic!

Had the HK in my old i3 and current F10. It’s a nice system alright.

Have the Bowers & Wilkins system in the G30. That’s very good too, don’t notice much difference between them except for the very fancy light show the G30 system has.

Good video mark. Thanks.

Some queries…

1. Delighted you clarified the Tesla comparison as so many reviewers use it to click bait and answered why you compare to Tesla all the time.
    2. You mention there were no compromise but do you not thing the petrol flap, the transmission tunnel are flaws on what could have been so much better EV.
    3. You mention that it’s good out of the box. But the car is an msport with options that brings it to €75k or more. Have you driven the base “out of the box” model and compared?
    4. Can you see yourself buying one 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Haven't watched it yet as I'm at work but regarding the price, premium brand cars are generally pretty crap spec. Even with M Sport you have to tick a few options, I think €75k is probably realistic for a nice spec without going overboard and ticking absolutely everything. Adding a heated steering wheel, tinted windows, electric seats, park assist plus and wireless phone charging brings it to €71,500 and that's with stock white paint, 18" wheels and cloth seats. No audio upgrade, sunroof, upgraded lights, adaptive suspension etc.

I think the €6k or so jump from ICE to EV is a no brainer, you get decent range and a good performance boost.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just specced a 40 there and with the comfort plus, tech plus, m sport pro packs which are all mandatory IMHO, it's 80k

Must be absolutely insane to pay that and not go for the m50 for 5k extra and the same options.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes the only reasons to go for i4 40 is budget to get the base model only. Otherwise as you say with speccing it up sure you may as well get the m50.

I was looking at the only option I'd add to an M50 is the frozen blue interior and couple of the "packs"

For me, the pauper, even the base spec i4 40 was too expensive 😂

Was waiting (hoping) for a cheaper i4 35 model that might get the subsidy, but it didn't come (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

By my calculations with the spec it has, the car Mark drove is actually about 85k on the road after the recent price rise.

comfort plus, tech plus, m sport pro, visibility pack, leather, metallic and piano black interior from what I can see.

at that money you’re mad not to go for m50 unless the bit of extra range is a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Stunning car, good to see you agree in regards the premium unmatched quality interior, would be nice to see a comparison with other premium cars like Audi and Porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there plans for a cheaper model? I know a lot of manufacturers are producing their faster/bigger battery variants. Most people don't need the performance EVs are offering and range isn't an issue once people get rid of the mindset of wanting a 600km EV because they drive across Ireland on a weekend away once a year. Something similar to the performance of the 190hp 420d and maybe 400-450km WLTP range would probably be perfectly suitable for most people without costing as much.

Essentially that 400km -450km car is the eDrive 40 variant as reviewed by Nobby above.

If they do bring out an eDrive 35 version as previously hinted, it may be smaller again and have a range of 300-350km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

BMW marketing team - Let the ordinary plebs wait another year for their cars so we can give free ones to lads that are on millions per year!

They seem to have more press cars than customer cars at the moment 🤣

• Advertisement

It's a clever game from the marketing department imho. BMW doesn't have the production capacity yet to meet even a fraction of demand. Give the cars away to footballers makes the cars even more desirable and in demand despite upping the price again. We all know it's a great car, despite not being an EV from the ground up. There is hope for BMW!

Advertisement