Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So lucky I have a good psychologist, held out little hope for today's session but we salvaged something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Have 2nd psychotherapist apt tomorrow.

Never quite sure the difference between a "logist" and "therapist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah don't confuse me I've enough to think about 🤣

Asked a really dumb question just now on a what's app group, that proves my work life balance is all hamster wheel work based and trying to address personal and family problems. Running to stand still stuff.

I really don't know how other people find time to participate in and contribute to society and have a family and job at the same time.

I think if everything is going swimmingly then it's possible. But there is no time for anything when one or more big problems crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 T4two

I tested positive for Covid about 2.5 weeks ago. Still have lingering symptoms, tiredness and am now feeling low and flat. I am on mirtazapine for anxiety for the last couple of years - can't relax, racing heart etc.. This is different - feel down, disinterested, agitated. I live alone so all the isolation probably didn't help - although usually I enjoy my own company. Can anyone relate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The tiredness and agitation is apparently commonplace with post-covid recovery. It takes a darn long time. Some folks have found taking Vitamin D has helped the recovery. It certainly helped me. It took a long time tho, a couple of months to get back to average. I lost my sense of smell and taste too. And that was more worrying, in that I didn't know WHEN that would recover. (It took about two or three months).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So glad it works for you.. I lost all trust during the decades of misdiagnosis as they got things so very very wrong and did so much hurt. So very glad for you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Does anyone have difficulty with hugs? I can’t remember the last time I felt a hug that I could fall into and surrender into

• Advertisement

Vitamin D is great for keeping colds at bay. I notice when I stop taking it over a long period, especially during winter, I end up getting a cold. So I definitely believe it helps with covid too.

Edit ... Meant to say cod liver oil , which contains vitamin d

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

"To give is better than to receive "...It really IS. Amazed me did that

Not sure how I find the time to do the things I do every day. I guess a lot of it is just practice over time. Things just got more efficient and fit together. Time kind of finds itself over time. It reminds me of that old saying "If you want something done ask a busy person to do it". Somehow they are the people best at finding the time to do it.

I guess not having a television at all - and being only very rarely into computer gaming - is probably why I find a lot of time other people don't.

That said though I did have a rather spectacular temporary break down some years ago from doing too much. At the time I swore to remove one or two things from my life and do less. Never did get around to doing that though.

At nearly 8o ( I still find that hard to believe) I have acquiesced to the absolute need to , well, act my age... The failure/refusal to do that was playing havoc with my ME/CFS damaged/destroyed health after 30 years of misdiagnosis and inappropriate "treatment"

And realised that overdoing is the worst thing we can do whether we are ill or not. Our minds are geared to protect us. Hence the spillover into anxiety etc. Slowing down eases considerably.

I certainly find that keeping busy and active and engaged - and even under states of controlled and intentional discomfort at times - massively reduces my anxieties and mental issues. Rather than increases them.

• Advertisement

I understand as I used to find that too. But since the M.E/CFS took iver my life? The opposite happens. Even a little too much - and how can we avoid when we have a life to live and the needs of others to think of ?- results in a crash of body and mind and an overload of sheer anxiety and darkness. And very few especially doctors, see this symbiotic relationship between body and mind and assume it IS depression etc rather than physical overload. Body and mind are so closely interwoven. These days as the days are closing in and the SAD is strengthening I am having perforce to close down or.... and folk do not understand. My day now is mostly abed, knitting orders and online and less and less interaction here as few folk understand the devastation going on. And judge...and exacerbate our condtion immeasureably without intending or realising it. As has happened now. And it knocks us back appallingly Find peace wherever you can in whatever way you can? yes, "avoidance" as they call it. A knitting order just came in for me so will be gently and gainfully "busy " with my favourite "therapy". snugged in with my rescue cats. WE DESERVE THE VERY BEST. Whatever form that takes. And in our individual and idiosyncratic needs and ways. Be back occasionally but currently need right out of the hurly burly and misunderstandings ...... extremely... but .... .. Stay safe and well... Be blessed.

It's definitely better to do something when you are anxious rather than sitting and stewing in it. Get out of the house, walk, meet a friend, ...

And even better to do something to address the issues causing the anxiety.

I think it's always good to address the little problems if the big problems are too overwhelming right now. Gives you confidence and gets you into a habit of getting things done.

My problem is that I am burned out and exhausted trying to deal with issues. It's like there is no end to them, at least in my mind. And some I just can't fix.

I attribute this to work. My job entails dealing with issues and problems all day. And then my personal life has problems that are very difficult to accept nevermind deal with.

So, there is no break. I take breaks but beat myself up thinking I need to sort out X and Y.

Like right now, I'm beating myself up for sitting and being on here when I've things to do.

Anyway, good to talk.

Rest as you need and can. It is a hard and hectic world out there as I remember well. Too much to do and not enough time or resources or energy to do it.

Thanks ! I did manage to get stuff done today. So that's good.

Being gentl e with yourself,, especially when others are not being... small ways..an extra treat works for me. Or more so emails from and between far off loved ones. And as we near Christmas when so many are crippled with loneliness? Been there ...

• Advertisement

someone turned the lights off and I cannot fidnd the switch to turn them back on... metaphorically speaking, It be very very dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Constant low-grade migraine which is entirely anxiety related. I'm not "feeling" anxious as the emotional freeze is in full swing but it's manifesting physically. I've developed a really attractive facial tick 🤢. Nothing I can do about any of this as it's all down to circumstances beyond my control. I just know that under the layer of ice there's a mental health melt down brewing. How to access my actual emotions and deal with them before that happens?

(((HUGS))) Uam fighting a migraine too,, Same as with you, circs beyong my contro. sorryl ,, distorted vision,,, headed for meds etc.. I wish I knew re what you ask, I n times past a good ballet class or energetci walk helped break the cycle but now.. excerise DOES help and that is logical as yt releases endorphins

Have to find meds and close down... Blessings and peace..

Above my pay grade to offer advice directly to that question alas. I know what works for me though.

Doing something meaningful to me or that I find meaning in helps a lot with anxiety. I have quite a few options in my life there so I will not list example after example. But one simple example is simply the preparation and eating of food. I drop everything and just decide I am going to go buy ingredients mindfully - prepare them into a meal mindfully - and eat mindfully. Being in the moment all along the way as I do it. Then I can go back to real life. But for that period I am doing nothing and thinking of nothing but that process end to end. In psychology - if you want to look it up - this is known as "completing a gestalt".

Jujitsu is also a good helper for me with anxiety. The analogy I use about my anxieties is that it is like carrying a liter bottle of water. You pick up such a bottle and start carrying it - it's easy. If you keep carrying it for an hour or two non stop however you start to feel the weight. It gets harder as you get tired and your muscles continue to work and work and work. Anxiety for me does the same thing to my brain. Being able to put the bottle down for an hour before picking it up again brings massive relief and you can carry it comfortably for a period of time again afterwards. Completeing a gestalt has that effect for me. But Jujitsu does too because when you spend an hour with grown men trying to break your arms or choke you to death - you focus on nothing else for that hour. Everything else - all other sources of anxiety - get laid aside for that time. And its a wonderful relief.

Controlled discomfort is something that helps me too. This is sort of a Joe Rogan way of thinking too. He talks about how he deals with his anxieties by doing things like getting into an ice bath for 10 minutes every morning or doing work outs to the point of pain. After stress and discomfort of this sort - all the rest of the anxieties for the rest of the day seem incidental and less of an issue. His thinking is that a lot of our anxieties come from our body being on alert for problems and stresses and issues that are not actually going to come. So by controlling forms of stress and anxiety his body goes "Oh thats ok then - I was expecting issues - issues came - they are dealt with now - lets get back on with life" rather than leaving the body in a state of anxiety thinking something awful is coming that never does.

Sitting with emotions and identifying them and naming them and exploring their source and causes also helps a lot. Meditation and stuff helps with that of course. But its possible to simply sit and try to enter into a discourse with yourself about what you are feeling and why.

Other than that Sleep and good eating and healthing and active living really are a foundation of everything for me. It is no wonder Andrew Hubermann spends hours of podcasts extolling the benefits of these things on almost every topic from depression and stress and anxiety to physical health and more.

All the above are high energy methods and resources. Iti svery different for older, chronically ill and disabled folk.

for me, always quiet prayer... resting ... and most of all my knitting.. A gentle rhythmic occupation with a visible end result ( professional knitter and both old and disabled and much off my feet/abed)

How do others cope? Now we have seen the two extremes! lol

Into the worst bad spell I have ancountered wtihin memorty, Trying to rationalise as the short dark days and bad weather eg gales preventing sleep.. But on it slams. Gets hard to see what is really hard in life and this... probably old age is an increasing facror too

WHAT A GALE...

All I can dio is rest and gentle .

Oh the weathers' being a menace. It's totally affecting my sleep, and making it hard to get a good rest.

((HUGS))) The sheer DIN! The rain is OK but that banshee... Seriously sleep deprived,, Maybe tonight will be better... fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

So, had a really good opportunity of a promotion at work last week. Of course my pesky anxiety kicked in at the interview and I made a mess of it. I don't know why I bother.

• Advertisement

been deealt a bitterly hard blow and am disorientated and in deep pain.

There'll be other opportunities. And this is a rough learning lesson, but you gotta mess up at times in order to learn from your mistakes. I've had huge scale screw ups (nothing that would have landed me in jail or gotten me in trouble with the law, or anything, but enough that I burned bridges). I had to learn from them. And I'll make mistakes in the future, but I'll learn from them. Life is for making mistakes, otherwise you won't learn anything.

What can help with an interview, bizarrely, is going into the bathroom, or some quiet room, and making a 'superhero' pose. Sounds ridiculous, but it works.

Another is, memorize the hell out of your CV-and bring a copy for yourself. We think we know ourselves...we don't.

Dust yourself off, attack a pillow (genuinely works), and do something to expel the negative energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭apache

So change of Doctors, change of meds. Coming off one, going on another. It's no joke. Can't sleep. Off work.

Into a severe relapse of the ME/CFS added to the SAD. Barely coping. O me miseram! Really really... BAD.. getting food even is a struggle

Feeling super anxious. Too many problems, amplified at this time of the year. Plus, people expect you to be jolly and just put up with it. Just have to sit with my mouth shut and pretend. Hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭apache

It is an awful lot of pressure. I'm out of work at the moment. I don't think I'll be able to go back before Christmas. I get a little relief from thinking I won't have to listen to all the plans. Just another day for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm finding this cold snap a great temporary relief, using it as an excuse to stay in. There is so much pressure this time of year, people are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Why must a gripping Monday panic set in every Sunday night?

It's bananas isn't it?. Like some sort of negative feedback loop set to an alarm clock.

• Advertisement

That is exactly it Gremlin :/

I'm working really hard with my psych on rumination and tricky thinking, it's, it's such an elemental part of my thought system i dunno will i ever rewire it but hopefully i can dull the effect of it in time..

Sounds like a good plan, Grem. Well done for putting in the work.

lol, my phone counselor has me listening to random you tube relaxation videos, not exactly a long term fix :/

I'm doing a few meditations, they really are such an individual thing. Most of them engage my imagination too much to be useful and there are so, so many of them out there to try.

The weather is really wreaking havoc on us, isn't it?

It's definitely making travel very treacherous. Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but this time of year strains, sprains and muscle pains always spring up. Have done for my whole life, even as a teen. Always found it easy to pull a muscle or pick up some niggling pain that doesn't get lost until the temps get warmer. Oh, and where I got my wisdom teeth taken out, when temperatures get even colder, that can flare up really badly.

I'm helping take care of someone who's had an old rib injury flare up. (They fractured it years and years ago, but in really cold weather, it can cause pain. And I think this freeze caught them off guard). Trying to arrange a doctor's appointment because they may need some pain relief medication.

And I'm doing an 'assignment' if one calls it that for my therapist. It's writing a letter, specifically to a loved one who's passed on... and it's like fighting a prize fighter who's happy to keep seeing me bleed. And who jumps out of the woodwork at random points and starts pummeling me. I've been writing all the things I wanted to say, but never got to. Apologizing, thanking them. Woke up today and just felt 'on edge' and anxious. Similar feeling to mixing alcohol and medication (which I definitely did not do). It's reopening wounds and scabbing them, then scraping them open again.

Mine too, lol! My imagination or my analytical thinking gets activated, and I am no longer focus on what is said in the moment.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Advertisement

Feeling pretty bad today.

Just one problem after the next.

Afraid to do anything.

It's nuts.

Old wisdom.. " This too shall pass." And it will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Very low. Awful, tragic life circumstances compounded by the most extreme selfishness, lies and manipulations of family members and others too. I don't feel I can escape it anywhere, even here. I hate life at the moment. I feel so powerless.

Yep. I think a person needs at least a month away from all the problems, away from everything, just to get back to an even keel. Then lots more time to find a way forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement