Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow speed of solicitors

• 14-11-2022 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, a good friend is going through a divorce. It is very amicable, grown up children and very lucky in that they have two properties so no issue with housing. They decided to go through solicitors as both work full time in demanding jobs and didn’t have time for a diy divorce. They went to an independent financial advisor and had a mediation document drawn up. It has been with both solicitors since May. Still no sign of anything forthcoming. Original affidavits exchanged had some relevant items missing. Since then its a case of solicitor A requested some paperwork, Solicitor B has no record of that, etc etc. Both parties contact their solicitor to be told its the others fault. The now amicable separation is becoming less so due to solicitors. My sister in law is now into her 4th year of trying to sort out her sisters affairs. My husband is now into his 5th year of trying to sort out his uncles affairs. Where does one turn to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Frustrated over divorce under similar circumstances here too. Was beginning to worry my solicitor had done a runner with my retainer but all is ok, just very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Toby22

That’s a relief to hear, albeit in a bad. Just can’t figure out why the delay

My friend hasn’t paid a penny yet, I told her to change solicitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That’s the bill she has yet to be given !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Hi, yes she knows that which is why she is reluctant to change. If she did is she entitled to have what paperwork they have completed. Both parties started the process in March and to be fair both are unhappy with the speed or indeed lack of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Some solicitors view divorce as a cash cow and want to extract as much money as possible and will stir up trouble in order to increase their income. Some are incompetent and take on more work than they can process efficiently. Some involve barristers who are slow. When instructing a solicitor reputation is everything.

Well lo and behold, all good to go and sign on the dotted line 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When we were buying our house the solicitor took forever reviewing the contracts and title and ultimately recommended we didn't buy the property. Moved to a different solicitor and he had it all done in 2 weeks, said there were some inconsistencies but in his opinion they are inconsequential

Since we've bought the house loads of other properties in the estate with the same exact situation have been bought and sold.

Some solicitors are just overly cautious and won't move forward untill they're 110% certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Maybe your solicitor was only slow cause they spend all day commenting on Boards.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yep , a lot of solicitors loose control of their bowels unless everything is pure vanilla

Advertisement