Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree that things need to be urgently done to prevent this century eventually becoming very unpleasant for humanity. If you think the waves of refugees trying to get to Europe right now are something, then a certain Bachman Turner Overdrive lyric comes to mind...

The usual Dermots are trying to tie the more extreme activists to the theory of man-made climate change and have it all dismissed as mere lunacy so that they can climb into their cars unperturbed, and that plays right into the hands of the richest of rich people who benefit from the current status quo.

I don't agree with the vandalism and disruption that some of these climate activists appear to be engaging in because all it's doing is turning huge swathes of society against them, completely polarising the issue and inadvertently ensuring that little to nothing gets done.

I believe that real change will not come through any establishment channel, but by some group of scientists or some group of engineers or some group of tinkerers figuring out a way to bring cheap, green energy to people across the world, that bypasses the current commercial systems in place. Otherwise it will be far too slow. I don't hold a great amount of hope that this will happen, but it would still be a far better way than the molasses-slow changeover currently happening right now, designed to protect corporate profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Surely these scientists and engineers are already doing everything and it's not working. People won't make the sacrifices needed.

And there's a huge swathe of people now who think it's too late to do anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Maybe spend less time on space exploration, and put all our scientific resources into tackling a far more urgent issue. I am surprised there hasn't been some sort of seed or grain that has been invented that can be grown in any climate, gestates quickly and is nourishing. They'd happier invest in ways for astronauts to eat and do daily tasks in space though.

However, I don't take these gobshites seriously at all. What are they achieving? Makes me actively dismiss their protests. Same goes for the protesters with their dyed blue hair (is it ethically sourced?) who probably found out about demonstrations via their smartphones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's very little in this society of ours that isn't touched by oil and an awful lot that features some sort of iniquity in its supply chain, so to 'get' the protestors on that score isn't really saying much. If they walked around in clothes they knitted themselves from organic farms and walked everywhere to meetings or used some pre-industrial revolution mode of transport, they'd be mocked as hippie neo-luddite lunatics. There'll always be an angle. It still comes down to whether there's any veracity in what they're saying, and leave the gotchas aside, as they'd look pretty petty if the warnings come to pass.

It's only that disruptive forms of protest won't really further the cause of climate action as becomes easy to say that they're all just stupid, spoilt kids who've probably never had to really work, don't understand the real world, and nobody should take them or their concerns seriously. Round and round we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

We know we need to get rid of FF but the problem is at the moment we cannot. Jumping up and down will not change that. They should be storming government buildings demanding for Nuclear power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

And now we have the dissident IRA brigade doing the same to paintings in Ireland Artwork targeted in protest back on display at Crawford Art Gallery (irishexaminer.com) ... murals of troubles era Provos and Bobby Sands are exempt of course .... Uh Ah !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So anytime anyone has a cause..the new thing is.. “ yeah, let’s damage something “

how far do you enable them ?

what would happen if 20 climate activists decided to throw paint over 30 cars in main st Swords tonight.. ‘cause, climate change’

what would happen if 20 climate activists decided to throw flammable liquid on and set fire to a sales desk up in Dublin airport ?

what would happen if climate activists break into a truck yard and damage breaks and lights on delivery trucks ?

what would happen if climate activists drop a breeze blocks from a flyover onto passing cars ?

See, do nothing it escalates !

for every single crime the law has to be a deterrent. If you kill a person and get 6 months, there’d be 40 murders a day probably.

there needs to be a deterrent…. Otherwise it starts at damaging art… how long before it’s seen as ok to hurt and damage people who’d not be in keeping with their outlooks or doing something that undermines their cause. .

Agree ... there are some protests I agree with ... e.g. those in Iran protesting about the oppressive and incompetent way that country is run/its resources squandered ... e.g. anti war protests in Russia or about the Iraq war ... but this Just Stop Oil crowd in England and their Irish dissident IRA copycats? ... they have no right to go around threatening art and they frankly don't know how lucky they are ... I thought the anti-vax/anti-mask brigade were loony ... this lot are the most ridiculous yet ...

Just Stop Oil UK and IRA disso Just Stop Oil ... smuggled diesel is exempt!!! ... here are troublemakers fighting a trivial cause ... just to cause trouble ... an insult to the brave Iranians and Russians standing up to warped governments addicted to neo-Nazism ... an insult to Mandela to James Larkin to Rosa Parks ... to any legit protest movement ... I say these guys need to be stopped before they test the boundaries further ... what you outlined is exactly what they could do and would do ... Just Stop Oil Ireland = the New IRA/The Real IRA/The Continuity IRA/whatever IRA they call themselves now ... we are well aware what these dissos are in this country ... today they target art, tomorrow they kneecap (rival) criminals ... eventually they plant bombs ...

Agree 100% ... anyone holding extreme views ... willing to take extreme actions .... is a potential terrorist ... Just Stop Oil is full of extremists ... who should not be allowed threaten works of art ... they get away with this they up the ante and perhaps become violent ... the Irish version is packed with dissident IRA ...

Terrorism is terrorism ... be it religious like ISIS political like the QANon/Tea Party crowd for a cause like these new lots ... what I'd like to know is where are all these types like Just Stop Oil being radicalised and who is funding them ...

Like ISIS ... like QAnon Tea Party ... like any of these this JSO are fanatics radicalised by someone ... directly or even indirectly ... they are a product of the world we live in ...

I feel that there is a constant doom and gloom/scaremongering going on ... this teaches us to be afraid to hate to be suspicious to be negative ... wars ... overzealous lockdown orientated Covid policy ... constant climate change news ... economic doom and gloom ... all available 24/7 at the click of a switch ... is feeding us with anxiety and is bad for our mental health ... people have become addicted to bad news and seem to watch nothing else ... nothing else seems to be watched on TV .... is it time to switch off from the dreary news and watch or do something else ?? .. is it time for the news itself to stop the overkill on issues like climate change and pandemics ?? Report the news by all means but stop the scaremongering ... the it coulds ... the maybes ... all the analysing of the worst case scenarios ...

I am not denying problems exist ... they are real ... and things need to be done ... but a constant 24/7 diet of negativity and kneejerk conspiracy theory reactions ... result in the extremism we are getting ...

JSO UK seem to be comprised of well to do middle class kids not affected at all by the cause they are committing extremist actions for ... meanwhile those affected in Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya are not protesting but have every right to ... if this JSO crowd or their dissident IRA copycats in Ireland care so much about the affects of climate change then they should go and help out with food and medicine distribution in the Horn of Africa ... but that is not cosy enough for these pampered brats ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This has to be one of the most bizarre posts on boards in years.

You really think "dissident IRA" care about the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wonder if they have damaged the Gustav Klimt. I hope not. A liquid could seep between the frame and glass and so reach the canvass, where it could then wick upwards into the painting as with any fabric where part of it touches a liquid.

If that's used engine oil they used, Why should someone else be exposed to the carcinogens in it in having to claen it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

But didn't you hear? it's covered in glass so it's all okay...

Yeah this one has particularly annoyed me, it's a beautiful painting. They really should be ashamed of themselves.

It's like they've ramped it up a notch. Looks like it was in a hot water bottle or something. So wouldn't be discovered in a simple pat down, or metal detector.

Jesus these clowns are going to end up having us going through body scanners to go see art..

Yep. it will be like an airport.

But these climate terrorists want that, more exposure for their cause.

those scanners are the price of a good car… to get three or four you are talking around in excess of 100,000 euros… the maintenance, the training the staffing, ffs. All to be paid for by the punter. $$$$$$$

Yup no more free visits to the art for you mr poor person. Leave it to use well healed types to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

They just need to have an all out ban on vegan looking dudes and girls in fishnet with butch hair.

Master of the Universe

It's really getting annoying as you'll probably see more and more art beginning to be glazed in galleries now.

Lots of galleries much rather show art unglazed as it means you can fully appreciate the work without reflections from glass.

Even low reflective glass still has a reflection and an impact on the colour of the work.

• Advertisement

Only a matter of time before some yahoo does a copycat and throws stuff over an unprotected painting. Madness.

You’ll have to take off your high heels before you go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lile all such posts it is truly great and refreshing...and right .. More, please

I went to see the Van Gogh exhibition in London in 2019. It was £20 to get in. Art isn't always free. If you want to see a bunch of exhibitions on a trip you need to be well healed if you have to pay for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

A police force is said to be ‘running out of vegan meals’ after arresting so many Just Stop Oil protestors this week.

The force arrested and charged 17 activists with the disruption and many are being held on remand for the first time rather than receiving bail, meaning they can’t go home.

Days later, Just Stop Oil announced they were calling off the protest in a surprising U-turn.Essex Police chief Ben-Julian Harrington said the group’s climb down was partly because reality hit the activists when they realised they were being held in custody, not going home to ‘drink coffee or a pint at the end of the day’.

🤣🤣🤣

These clowns are behaving like litteral toddlers throwing a tantrum, it's about time that the cops used the naughty step.

Makes sense, the threat of jail is supposed to deter you from committing crimes.

Don't really see the issue with requesting vegan meals if that's what you eat. You wouldn't expect muslim prisoners to eat non halal food, would you?

Master of the Universe

I think it was more a humous comment on the relationship between veganism and protesting rather than wanting to deny anyone food.

Nah, people often want to deny vegans appropriate food while in custody.

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

I don't think there are any human rights laws that cover these dietary requirements that are none medical. I assume you have to feed someone but it's their choice to eat it or not. I mean 3am where are you going to get halal or kosher for example. What if you tell them it's vegan and it's not ? The car their brought to the station in wont be vegan.

Advertisement