Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Charging to 100% at regular intervals is needed for cell balancing.

And also, the LFP battery needs it because of the LFPs non-linear discharge curve. The car (BMS) needs to "learn" the curve for more accurate GoM and SOC indications.

We shall see what the driver's experience is going to be with this MG4 LFP in real life.

The LFP discharge curve is really the only negative aspect of this chemistry, so let's see how MG dealt with it 😎

Another negative aspect is that LFP doesn't perform well in cold ambient temperature and doesn't like charging at lower cell temperature. It's good that MG4 has a battery heating, so this shouldn't be a concern and also given Irish climate. I believe so far only Tesla had battery heating it (not sure about the Koreans).

LR charging curve. This is impressive. But question of how well the BMS handles that.

Maxes at 140 kW and keeping that steady up to 60%, then drops. Average 106 kW in 26 minutes, 46 kWh taken. Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭creedp

It's a problem for all EVs including sophisticated Tesla BMSs

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭pandabat

Posted this in Ora Funky Cat thread also but, in case you're considering it as an alternative to the MG4, it's not exactly a glowing review:

https://youtu.be/d17XKLCyNUA

Some of the other reviews are more positive/less negative but no getting over the tiny boot. To be fair though, it has some nice design ideas/touches.

Post edited by pandabat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it's a pity that there is no sliding rear bench in the Ora Funky Cat but even at that maybe some people will prefer the good rear leg goom that it has and not be too bothered about the boot. They can always get a roof box.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it has its admirers and will win over a few more. Thought it looked better in the videos today than it had one the photos - better conveyance of the size/proportions, I think. Different strokes for different folks though!

While the MG4 is also far from perfect, on balance, it appears to have more of what is important to me for not just an EV but for any car and its shortcomings are probably not as critical for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭zg3409

I test drove the black mg4 in Finglas.

I have a 28kWh ioniq for past 4 years to compare.

Power in normal mode seemed faster at low speeds. Instant jump, compared to old ioniq.

The boot seemed slightly smaller and back seats smaller. I lifted the boot tray and it seemed 1/2 battery, 1/2 tyre pair kit, no spare.

Adaptive cruise control worked. Lane keep did not seem to work, Exclamation mark on dash. I am not sure if it was me or the low speed or that it was dark during the test drive but my old car would work in these situations. I did not have time to test properly.

The menus seemed very sparse with very few options. May be demo software due an update but I could not find many settings.

I did not like the spoiler on the rear.

Also looked at zs.

Zs boot smaller than Tiguan. Sales person said "2 years" to get a zs now, but may have been sales tactic.

I asked about optional extras, paint protection etc, he said they were no choice options. Dealer said if ordered last week may 2023 may be possible, so orders for June probably now.

I considered putting down a deposit if only to flip car later but decided it's probably a larger family car I need in a year or two.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

Has anyone heard of any other estimates for delivery dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

What cable do you get with it for charging?

Some serious beta testing going on with the MG4.

More issues reported, this time the radar:

One of the poster's thinking

So, big decision to make. My orange Trophy is likely to arrive in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure I want it.

I mean, I do want it, very much. But I don't want the risk and hassle that potentially goes with it.

Oil leak (maybe), bulging undertray (almost certainly), no scheduled charging (almost certainly), potential seat issues (hopefully not), incorrect temperature sensor (maybe), unable to pre-heat when plugged in (almost certainly), TPMS warnings (maybe), driver fatigue warning (maybe, hopefully the sensor has been removed otherwise almost certainly), etc., etc., etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

First Irish delivery is meant to be early January but MG dealers have no info so not confident maybe February

Ms

Jeez it almost sounds like a car built in the UK in the 80s or 90s lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

UK got a type 2 so we should also get a type 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

MG delivery abilities wasn't great on previous Irish models, I wouldn't hold my breath

Icbw but I think that the type 2 cables were only provided to initial UK customers due to a shortage of granny cables. I believe that a granny charger is the more likely option to be provided but it will be a few months before anyone on these shores knows for sure what's coming to this market ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I think I asked yhe question, and think the answer was only granny charger provided, and also on excite model nowhere to hide it under floor of the boot.

I cancelled my initial order, just felt some of the items herself wanted were not there onthd excite, and couldnt justify the price hike of 7k to get them, as range if excite was sufficient.

Ms

Have you looked at the Ora Funky Cat?

Maybe herself would be happy with it and it might suit you both.

Here is the thread for it and reviews in there too,

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058247840/ora-funky-cat#latest

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I don't think the style of the car would suit, the bootspace, lack of Sat navigation, rear camera, heated seats and the cost to change was just too much to bridge.

Ms

It has a rear camera and heated seats too I think maybe that's on the Top Pro400+ spec but the Pro 300 basic spec does have a rear view camera.

Yes it's a pity that ORA did not make the rear seats adjustable to move back or forwards.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Type 2 and vehicle to load cables can be purchased as accessories:

32A type 2 EV charging cable (5 meter) - 10850204 - Sterling £236.48

Vehicle to load cable - 11409431 - Sterling £268.48

I've been told around March delivery for mine (Exclusive) - ordered on the 18th November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

I'll be test driving one of these in the next week. Is there anything anyone out there would like me to see if I can check?

Here are some of the items I'm interested in:

Front seat height relative to the ground (very important for my wife).

Ease of access to the rear

Functionality of the heating controls (ventilation, heated seats, steering wheel)

Boot access and dropping rear seats (for fitting large items)

Ride comfort over questionable road surfaces (there are some rutted roads near the dealership I will be heading for).

I believe the range of the car to be sufficient to my needs (the larger battery version), so I won't be paying a huge amount of attention to this. It will only be a short drive (about 15 to 20 minutes, I have been told) but if there is anything extra from anyone out there, let me know and I will try to get the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Just out of curiosity - look under car and see is there a sag in the plastic undertray facing forward near the middle of the car - this is a common flaw spotted on cars in UK and I'd be interested to see if Irish dealers are aware of the issue, and have any idea how to deal with it.

Also something I didn't notice myself but seen commented on - the width of the door sill. I stepped in without issue but some online are saying it's very wide, especially if you're short.

From my test drive, I found it very comfy over rough roads but only had a short spin (I aimed for dips as much as possible).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Any 32a type 2 cable will do, Tesla sell them for €99 but were OOS last time I looked

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Are you planning on trading the PHEV Miscreant or will the EV be a second car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh and the biggest question Miscreant - WHEN!!!????

• Advertisement

@Killer K It'll be traded in yeah. I only need 1 car and this MG4 might fit the bill. We'll see what trade in valuation they give. :)

Advertisement