Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Yes, it's a great site, with plenty of potential.

It would have been close to the earlier proposed station at the Mater, on which a few million was wasted building a station box.

Unfortunately the apparently primal fear of causing disruption means that the new metro proposal takes a detour to Glasnevin, where it will then cannibalise the Green Line, and where it will take decades to achieve the kind of population densities that already exist at Drumcondra, which was on the originally planned metro route.

The population density at Drumcondra is currently about 40% higher than at Glasnevin.

Glasnevin may be only 400m from the Green LUAS, but it is well off-street, and thus will cause only the tiniest disruption during construction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Man, people have knocked these points down so many times, but you still keep coming back with this s**t.

It wasn't a station box, it was a retaining wall, nothing more.

During the construction of Glasnevin station, the two rail lines will be out of action for months, possibly years, so do they really have a fear of disruption? Glasnevin provides the ability to interchange easily with two rail lines, something that was not possible at the Drumcondra site, no matter how many times you try and justify it. Glasnevin station will be one kilometre from Drumcondra station, so much of the population density will still be able to avail of the service. With the increased service from Dart+, people in Drumcondra will be able to get a frequent train one stop to Glasnevin, and then swap trains, allowing them to get more places than if Metrolink just served the one line at Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I didn't know the two rail lines will be out of action for 'months, possibly years'. But it's understandable I guess.

Is there a plan for how commuter services to Maynooth/Newbridge, Inter City to Sligo etc will operate whilst it is ongoing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's an assumption on my part, but I can't really see how they'd create the station without a lengthy disruption. I can't see anything in the docs about their planned closure, I think that they are obviously trying their best to avoid bringing attention to it. Ironically, they do confirm that the canal will definitely be closed for a period of time😂. They're clearly not concerned about the commuter backlash from closing the canal.

As they haven't even confirmed that the train lines will be closed, they've said nothing about how they're going to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with your point on Mountjoy, but your second image has an error in it. The three most northern apartment blocks are not going to be touched at all. The works will require that the carpark at the back is taken temporarily, but that's where it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you meant every 5 minutes as per the newsletter, and there certainly were periods in the morning peak of trains every 5 minutes on the DART.

But you have to remember that since then the numbers of Maynooth and Northern line services have increased dramatically and that impacted on DART frequency, especially north of Connolly.

I would like to deal with your points individually, but the new boards.ie arrangement doesn't seem to allow that.

I would be most in favour of a Drumcondra metro station built under the road between the two rail lines at that location. The only reasons given by posters 'knocking it down' were that it would involve people having to walk too far (100 metres or so) to make the metro/DART change, and that it would cause disruption.

The metro work at the Mater was preparatory to construction of a station box for metronorth. 5 Million Euro, down the swanny.

With the phrase 'out of action' it appears that you are saying that the three rail lines currently going through Glasnevin (Maynooth, Dunboyne and the PPT) will not be in operation for months, and possibly years, during construction. No rail connection with Dublin for all of that time? Surely you can't mean this?

Glasnevin provides a very sensible option for interchange between those two overground rail lines. A connection between Hazelhatch and Dunboyne, for example, or an easy change between a train going to Grand Canal Dock and a train going to Spencer Dock.

There is no need for the metro to be in that mix.

You say that 'much of the population density will still be able to avail of the service', and that is undoubtedly true. But all of that 40% higher population density in Drumcondra would be readily able to avail of these services if the metro were built through Drumcondra and an underground metro station was built with a view to a eventual connection with both overground rail lines, potentially involving a new station on the Midland line beside the canal.

When we know the eventual transport patterns along the Dunboyne, Maynooth and PPT lines, a station on the Midland line could surely be readily developed at Drumcondra with a very good connection to the metro.

Much of the hype about Glasnevin has been that you can make all sorts of choices there. Metro, DART, Hazelhatch, Dunboyne, Maynooth, the Airport, Swords, The City, etc. But you can't. If you are in a supermarket to buy milk, you realise you can also buy eggs there, and then maybe broccoli. And whaddaya know, you're still there in the supermarket, so you can still get, maybe, some kitchen towels, or some turnips. Chices, in one location.

It doesn't work this way with transport interchanges: once you make a choice you are no longer at the place where you made the choice.

I think what would make most sense is this: a passenger would change between overground rail lines at Glasnevin; a passenger would change between the metro and overground rail lines at Drumcondra; there would be minimal cannabilisation of the Green Line; and Dublin would have a much better 'spread' of rail transport across the northside.

Fear of disruption seems to be a major factor in planning, in Dublin. I'm sorry, but I believe this to be to the detriment of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Changing the current route of the Metro, for which a Railway Order has been made to ABP, would add at least 5years to the timeline. Surely at this stage, you're not suggesting the current plan is scrapped?

We've waited long enough - I think the current plan works perfectly well.

Glasnevin station is 900m to Phibsborogh Luas and 2.1km along the canal to Broombridge.

• Advertisement

ABP previously approved a railway order for a metro line through Drumcondra, albeit at a different location adjacent to the overground station in Drumcondra. (The approved plan was to the north of the Drumcondra rail station, and I suggest a station south of that)

I ask what benefits accrue by diverting the new metro line to Glasnevin, which is very close to the LUAS Green line, and which, I fear, will be cannabilised by this metro route.

There is a paucity of rail-based transport in Dublin, in my opinion, and we need to make sure that tram lines like the Green Line - in which much has been invested - can operate to their full potential in terms of bringing people into and out of the city (the main task for the line) Building an adjacent metro will not help.

Glasnevin station is 900m to Phibsborogh Luas and 2.1km along the canal to Broombridge.

The Green Luas line will go to Finglas so I don't think the Metro will cannibalise anything from that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Also 900 metres to Cabra Luas stop.

It's probably good that the people who live/work on the 'Metro Side' of Cabra or Phibsboro Luas stops will have an extra option, as the Luas will presumably be naturally busier when it extends to Finglas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ive lost count of how many times I’ve had to say this but the Metro line through Drumcondra is not happening and it won’t be happening no matter how many times it’s brought up on boards.ie

please stop talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

All going well, the timelines for Dart+ and Metro will crossover.

The planners can't have one plan contingent on the other being approved. Assuming both plans are approved, it's not unreasonable to assume that Glasnevin Station can be constructed appropriately to minimize future downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's envisioned for Dart+ to be completed well in advance of Metrolink so that's that idea shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not necessarily. The glasnevin station could be completed long before the rest of metrolink

Definitely still scope for crossover but a lot of unknowns. The disruption, to the Maynooth line in particular, should have been addressed better.

FYI:

• Metrolink aims to start building in 2025, 2035 completion.

• Dart+ West aims for 2025 completion.

• Dart+ South West aims for 2029 completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have followed this discussion many many times and the key reason is interconnectivity not population density, which in any event can change dramatically with some zoning decisions.

Coming from Dublin 15, I will likely change at Glasnevin when heading to South City, whereas I would have ended up at Spencer Dock without an option to change if not for the current plan.

• Advertisement

Honestly, there's loads of ways that they could do this. It's just an engineering exercise at the end of the day, with trade offs and benefits to everything. They could close one line, build a retaining wall to hold up the other, complete the work with the closed line, then swap them around. They could do enabling works during the Dart+ project*, essentially creating two "bridges", so that when the Metrolink project goes ahead, they'd be able to dig out everything underneath, with little disruption.

At this stage, I honestly can't predict what they're going to do. Seems bizarre that they're not talking about it at all.

*IIRC, during the Dart+ project works here, the track gradient has to be altered to allow for trains to cross over between tracks. This is done by taking the tracks up, digging out/adding material until the desired gradient is achieved, then relaying the tracks. So these lines will also face disruption during the Dart+ project, but to me that's also an opportunity to do something that could reduce the disruption during Metrolink

Unfortunately the plans for Dart+ West don't allow the PPT line to move onto the Royal Canal line. This might be down to engineering limitations but surely they could have made it work. It seriously limits the options to minimise disruption.

Ah, my mistake. That does reduce the options there somewhat.

Best case scenario DART+ West will start in 2024 and finish by 2030. The RO is only in 2 months, that'll take a year. There's a lot of work on dart west

Your timeline makes way more sense. Why do they say 2025 operation on their RO site? The works on New Spencer Dock are massive, just as one example.

I stand by my original point then that Glasnevin Metro / Dart stations are likely to be constructed at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I can only imagine that that is a case of the dreaded out-of-date-website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭VeryOwl

That was when DART+ West was originally planned to open. The sluggish design process, glacial planning and dragged out construction timetable have pushed it into the mid-2030s. And that's without the inevitable judicial review where some chancer will stall the project another few years. 2020's is another lost decade for rail in Ireland unfortunately.

Advertisement