Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

Is America all “trumped out” at this stage? While I don’t like the guy, I’d acknowledge if I thought he’d be successful 3rd time around but listening to him after a break of 2 years, it feels like listening to somethnig from 2 years ago that we left behind- I don’t think America likes to go backwards - this just feels same old same old and America likes new and shiney .

We know Trump was a one trick pony, slagging off anyone he disliked and making social media his own stage- but I don’t think people will fall for that trick twice

If Trump gets the nominee somehow, Democrats will unify against him along with swing voters and centrists.

If DeSantis gets the nominee, die hard MAGA folk could refuse to vote altogether OR Trump runs as an independent thus splitting the vote.

Seems bleak for republicans although I'll never say never as I thought he'd have no hope of winning in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suicide by Mod is an easy way to get out of the holes they dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭briany

It depends on how you're counting. It could be be said that the Republicans fell for his guff two campaigns in a row. He even upped his vote count in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

No but GAGA is a part of it, which is actually very fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They then get to play the victim card and blame good auld "woke"/"censorship"/"cancelled"/"antifa".

Its a well studied playbook they have to feed to perma-victimhood.

True but he was president at the time - so there was consistency - there’s now a memory there in the collective minds of voters that says, this approach didn’t work last time so why should we take this approach now?

And also, this 2 year gap has allowed credible candidates to emerge so he has his work cut out for him - in some respects he’s just another candidate but as we can see there’s a lot more Republicans speaking out against him - he’s lost the power over them he once had

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The first downside is he'll be in the media 24x7, which is always his goal, and very depressing to consider

The second downside is that his goons and denier pals run the GQP primaries. Don't count him out. But, his nomination would be a gift to the Democratic party.

I actually did think he’d win in 2016- it was down to his outrageous statements he was making- I said, either he’s mad and doesn’t want the presidency or he has spent a lot of money surveying the voters and knows exactly how they think- people thought I had lost it when I said he’d win, and that was at the start of the campaign.

I believe DeSantis will get the nomination over Trump- Trump is old hat now- world is moved on and it’s better able to react and respond effectively to Trumps outbursts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But this time he wont have murdochs support so the 24x7 media will be mostly negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I have to wonder how long he'll keep it up. Watching his announcement, he sounded like he could barely be bothered. Low energy indeed.

So, I start to think, does he in fact intend to run or is this just a shot across the bows of the other GOP candidates-to-be? "If you don't want me in this race, fucking up your chances, you better offer me something" i.e., a pardon.

Interesting theory and at this early stage I couldn’t disagree with you -it certainly was low energy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The announcement seems to be a bit of a whimper so far, hopefully the media knows the best way is just report the facts of what he's doing/saying and let him bury himself (if it needs announcing/reporting at all).

And we'll undoubtedly have another 4 seasons landscaping event to laugh at.

Que lots of "they're silencing conservative voices" all over the airwaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed very low energy, I wonder if its all just his bluff to get assurances from De Santis of a pardon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The important issues....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

If Trump was to win could he hypothetically run again in 2028?

Landing on Mars will be his way of ignoring the climate crisis and focusing his sheep on populating another planet while this one burns and floods

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm less inclined to think it's a genuine run for the presidency than it is an excuse to keep grifting off the hard core MAGA base.

While I'd like to imagine there are laws surrounding how campaign donations are spent, funnelling that money back into his own pocket is always going to be easy (e.g. the Trump 2024 Campaign purchasing advertising from Trump Jnr Ad Agency Inc or the like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well Donald Trump announces his plan to run for a third-term as US President, after living through his second term in Mar-a-Lago. After all, he didn't lose the last election, right?

More seriously though, this will splinter asunder the Republicans. Expect Mike Pence, Virginia Governor Glen Youngkin, and outgoing Maryland Governor Larry Hogan to join the race, along with DeSantis too.

Internecine warfare writ large for the Republicans. Hard to see how this ends up well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ivanka is a big loss. She was the moderate voice in 2016, the way to smooth Trump's edges, especially with women, but also overall.

She played a major part in the idea that Trump in office would be different than Trump in campaign mode, that she would be a sane voice able to direct her dad.

So he is entering into 2024 race in a very different position than 2016, and even 2020. In 2016 he was new, and fresh and tbf his ideas of draining swamp, getting rid of the likes of HC, resonated with people across the board.

He struggled in 2020 because it was clear that he had achieved almost nothing in that respect. Add to that Jan 6th, his constant election denial and the numerous investigations into him both personally and professionally, with the biggest being the Classified Documents issue, and he is facing into a massively changed landscape.

Over the past 6 years Trump has shown little ability to change the message, instead regurgitating the same message over and over again.

I would never count him out, US POTUS race comes down to a relatively small number of swing voters in a handful of states, but I can't see much in the way of advantages that he has.

How is it a third term? He's only done one. Unless you think he should be rightfully sitting now because of some election scandal then he cannot sit for a third term due to constitutional restrictions. Please square that circle for all of us

Whilst they will certainly look disorganised, do you see the Democrats fielding a good team? I really don’t think they should send out Biden to bat again

It was clearly a sardonic reflection, unmeant to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I watched the speech last night and 15 minutes in to it Bidens Twitter account tweeted out "Donald Trump Failed America" and they had a video ready to go. It juxtaposes the Jan 6th riots with Trump saying he would give the rioters pardons which I thought was neat, that will get heavy use over the next 2 years.

Also right before the speech started we had a Dark Brandon moment, Biden went live to the press pack outside his hotel at the G19 at exactly 1.55am and the networks who were broadcasting Mar a Lago had to switch to what he was saying about the situation in Poland. That then delayed Trumps scheduled 2am start. CNN then cut Trumps speech off at 2.25am and Sky did the same about 5 minutes later. At that point you could see a few empty seats in the crowd and about a third of them were standing up hanging on his every word but the remainder were sitting slumped in their seats. It was real low energy stuff but at least he deliberately avoided the stolen election schtick.

He seemed pissed about Kari Lake, I was surprised he mentioned her given he hates losers but he backed her to the hilt. I reckon she might have been his favoured pick as Vice President nominee and now that plan is in the mud.

It's entirely possible that Trump could beat Biden, but current polling suggests only a very marginal lead:

The poll, released Monday, shows Trump with a 2-point edge over his successor, should he mount another bid for the White House. Forty-five percent of voters say they would support the former president for a second term in 2024, compared to 43 percent who plan to back Biden.

So when you see these narrow polls, why would the Democrats want to take the risk and replace Biden?

Once the criminal investigations into Trump are complete, I fully expect Biden's lead to extend significantly more. Of course Trump will proclaim "fake news", but that will only appeal to his minority sheep base and not with the general public. So his empty proclamations just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Again - Biden was the perfect opponent for Trump in 2020. He is the perfect opponent for Trump in 2024.

The fact is, he is not unlikeable. He is not offensive. You can call him all the names you want but it is impossible to hate him. Even Fox admitted as much recently, IIRC.

Trump can waffle on, but side by side, Trump is a cheap suit and Biden is a polished professional.

Biden has a stack of achievements, Trump has anarchy.

Biden has the complete support of the Dem party and most independents. Trump has his 20% MAGA base.

Let Trump run. Hopefully he does.

I suspect however, he will fade away. He's already courting Q-Anon. If he was a serious contender, they wouldn't be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭briany

It will be interesting to see how QAnon reconfigures itself, seeing how Trump's star appears to be fading.

"DONALD TRUMP WAS SENT BY GOD TO ROOT OUT SATANIC PAEDOPHI- Oh, no.....wait, we are receiving a clarification, here - it says he was sent by Twitter. Nevermind!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement