Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@ELM327 - "M3SR (2022 LFP 60kWh) is a 300km motorway range car all day. 325 km probably if you drove right down to 0"

Same as a pre-facelift Model S 85 (with almost 80kWh battery). Which has about the same very low Cd. And at constant motorway speeds, weight makes very little difference

So the difference between these cars is mostly the efficiency of the drivetrain, which comes to live a lot more in real world driving than in the official driving cycle in a laboratory.

Can't wait until someone drives a Kia EV6 77kWh, VW ID.4 82kWh and Tesla Model Y 60kWh side by side at 120km/h until they run out. Wouldn't be surprised if the longest range of these cars was in the opposite order of their battery sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do Tesla leave a buffer below zero or is zero really zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Core6

"To do that you'd have to avoid motorway" -- that is a bit of a dramatic statement.

I agree that if you drive at a constant 120kph you won't get the range published in EVDB. No car, including ICE cars, are economical at that speed.

If you drive at 100kph on motorways and don't "exploit" the acceleration in mixed driving you should get the 375km range or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Avoid motorway means avoid motorway speed. 100 is not motorway speed. I drive a 220km round trip at least once a week (dublin to wexford) and fooked if I'm driving that at 100km/h. It takes long enough already, I could do without the ignominy of having to drive my EV so slowly that it gets overtaken by buses!

Of course you get more range if you drive slower. We all know that. However the highway range quoted on EVDB is supposed to be at motorway speeds.

• Advertisement

The EVDB figures are at US highway speeds of 70mph (112.6ph), so European motorway efficiency at 120/130kph will be at least 10% worse.

I went looking for a site that could explain not just the velocity squared principle but could relate the impact of speed to energy consumption for a particular car and I found this.

Exactly what I wanted with the added bonus of head/tail winds. Skip to 7:00 for a handy summary table for anyone not interested in the calcs. I might have to start using Windy when planning a journey.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I have to say I'm getting a bit soft on my Model Y order. All these dire range predictions on a 455km WLTP car have me spooked.

I do a few regular Irish runs that are 350-400kms round trip and one UK run that is 550kms one way. In the ID.3 Tour I easily do the 350-400km Irish runs without charging and usually arrive home with around 10-20% to spare. These runs are motorway heavy, but I mostly stay at the speed limits. It was a good bit tighter in the eNiro, but doable without a charge, albeit at slightly reduced speed.

On the UK run it is nearly all motorway, but is mainly driven at 130kph, just keeping up with the traffic (at one point including an unmarked UK traffic police car 😄) I need a single 15 minute splash and dash to get to my destination with about 60kms to spare. It was the same with the Niro, but the splash and dash was more of a 40 minute full charge affair and arriving with 40kms. The Ioniq 28 was a 3 stop pain in the ass. On the UK run, time is precious. More time spent charging means less time with family on the arrival day and leaving earlier on departure day.

I've used some of the figures online and here to try to make the UK trip a single stop in the Model Y, but it seems to be a minimum 2 stops needed. ABRP shows one 25 minute and one 35 minute stop. The Irish runs look like they would need a stop as well.

I love the tech in the Tesla, I could just about live with the look, but the backward step in range for my use case is a bit of a bridge too far. The range seems to be worse than the 2019 eNiro. I know that the Niro has a 64kWh battery, but you would think that the much vaunted efficiency of the Tesla would at least make up the difference.

I expect some flak from staunch Tesla sect, but I'd prefer if you could show me how the Model Y could fit into my use case.

Seriously? I guess you have no experience of the Tesla Supercharger network then? No planning needed, no queues, they always work, no card or phone needed, pre-conditioned charging for max possible charging speed and very high charging speeds to begin with.

With a good coverage network like in the UK or continental Europe, I'd buy a Tesla Model Y with half the size battery if the car was €10k cheaper. Even if I did a lot of long distance travelling.

If minimum time, minimal hassle charge stopping is your priority and you're not buying the Model Y, what other options do you have from the competition that are better? I guess save up double the money and buy a Mercedes EQS or Tesla Model S where even on your longest journey you wouldn't have to stop at all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The ID tour does 400km motorway and you still have 20% left?

Why on earth would you be considering a change in the first place?

I think your Irish trips are too close to the limit for comfort. You might make some of them without a stop in the summer, but can't see it happen in the winter.

The UK trips, impossible to say without knowing your route and where stops are. Are you fully charged getting off the boat? (Irish Ferries). Is there a 250 kW Supercharger on your route? That might save time over your current ID.3 en route charging?

This guy did a motorway range test at an average of 120kph in an AWD, looks like 19" wheels. Go to 7m 17s for the numbers, but 100% - 0% was 381km at 11-21C. Although he averaged 120, he had it up to 130 wherever he could, which will have been less efficient than a constant 120. So that 381 could in theory in Ireland go higher, but with our weather unlikely. 18kwh/100km.

Did you order a blue Y before Nov 9th by any chance?

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Did a 120km trip in My Audi Q4 (battery) 77KWh earlier this morning (1-3 deg C, still air). 95% motorway 120kph temp set to 18 deg. Range worked out at 275km

did return journey this evening (10deg C still air)and effective range worked out at 330km .

In the summer motorway range (120kph) works out at about 380km.

WLTP range of car is 525km. Pottering around during the summer gets upto 450km range.

Conclusion:

EV’s don’t like cold weather

EV’s don’t like motorway speed.

ill assume the MY RWD will have similar figures at motor way speed due to low drag coefficient and heat pump.

WLTP

“WLTP runs for longer, covering 23.25km at an average speed of 46.5km/h, while its rotation of low, medium, high and extra-high-speed cycles see the cars being tested hitting a peak speed of 131km/h,”

That’s the highest range test I’ve seen which is promising.

Edit. Not surprised. It’s the Long Range version 🤣

Post edited by Gumbo on

My ID is coming up on 2 years old. That's when I like to change my cars. If VW could provide the same car as a replacement, it would top the list. To be fair, a chunk of the motorway on the regular routes is M50, so 100kph... or 5kph, depending on the time of day.

I did have some serious teething troubles with the ID when new, but since the replacement of a handful of modules then, it has been a joy to own. I just had the OTA update over the weekend and the software is a bit better. Still not great, but better.

Post edited by Silent Running on

If it is a choice between keeping a 2 year old car that is ok for your needs or adding the guts of €20k to it for a brand new car that is not as good for you (but the best you can get for that money), the choice would be very easy for me. Keep that €20k right in my pocket. Or stretch the €20k to what, about €50k and buy an altogether superior car that is perfect for your needs.

Triggered much? 😂😂 I've seen queues at Tesla Membury so it's not all roses. Not long queues though just 2 cars waiting just a few minutes until a stall comes available.

None of what you point out leads to a single stop UK drive. ABRP shows 2 supercharger stops for the Y, total charging time of 45 minutes. If you take into account the time to slow, park and then roll out to full speed X2, it'll be more. ABRP for the ID.3 is 12 minute stop at Ionity Chippenham on the M4. One slowdown, one park and one roll out to speed.

This reminds me of a famous poster who took 8 seconds to put petrol into his PHEV. No mention of time spent getting to the pump, paying and returning to the road he had to leave. 😄

I'll probably end up keeping the ID.3 for another year and see what the Chinese are offering then. There are a few promising cars coming up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The V.W. is better built and looks much better, stay with the V.W.

Yep, Irish ferries Rosslare to Pembroke. There are a few supercharger points on M4 to London. Sarn Park, Membury, Reading and South Mimms on the M25 around London, with a few more just off the main line. As pointed out above, two longish stops seem to be unavoidable against one 12 minute Ionity stop in the VW. I leave home at 100% charge, but have 44kms to drive to Rosslare.

Strangely enough, I've never taken note of the % battery I leave Pembroke Dock with. Maybe because up to now I had to go hunting in menus to find the % charge. Since the OTA update it's on the dash screen. Much handier.

Not a blue Y but a white with white seats ordered on 11th November.

@Silent Running - "I expect some flak from staunch Tesla sect"

@Silent Running - "Triggered much?"

I didn't fully understand your priorities until my post after that. That's where out of 3 choices for you, keeping your current car, go ahead with the Model Y you ordered or buy a much bigger range car, my advice was to NOT buy the Tesla Model Y

Give me some credit dude. There seem to be people out there that think I'm a Tesla fanboi, no idea how people get that idea unless they very selectively read my posts. I've been saying for a long time too that I would not buy the Tesla Model Y, but a BMW i4 if the new short range model came out under the grant. This model was announced today for production this year and early 2023 delivery - in the USA, no idea of here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No way that is a RWD MIC 60kWh car, consumption at 50% was 190 which gives 302km range with 57.5kWh usable, it must have been a LR or P model.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

@josip - "This guy did a motorway range test at an average of 120kph in a RWD"

That video is from a year ago so that car was a LR AWD Model Y, not a RWD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You won't get 350kms range from a Y on a motorway run, maybe in summer. UK trips could be dodgy as a lot of the UK SuC are now hitting queues so you would want to check your route, I've used the ones in Scotland a lot and they are sparsely used but if you check UK forums you'll see the influx of the 3 over the last year or so especially has resulted in wait times.

A Norway based Winter test was done with the early deliveries of the 60pack from China in a MODEL 3 and it was 289kms range at 113km/h on average. Ireland would be better as weather not as bad but that gives you a worst case scenario. Remember that was a Model 3 which is a more efficient car, rule of thumb is Model Y has 10% less range.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Ah man... I'm just yanking your chain. You're normally pretty unbiased with the Tesla love in, but your avatar gives another impression. That is Jesus Musk holding the holy lamb, isn't it? 🤣

With the WLTP figure of 455kms, I thought I could stretch a sector of the drive to make the UK run a 1 stop affair, but seemingly it can't be done. Some cars can do, and even exceed, the WLTP with care. The eNiro was one of them. The VW comes very close. It seems the Model Y isn't one.

But I normally change a car because it needs new wiper blades. 😂

Dammit, now I'm gonna have to buy a set of tyres. I haven't had to do that in many years. 😆

@Silent Running - "You're normally pretty unbiased with the Tesla love in, but your avatar gives another impression. That is Jesus Musk holding the holy lamb, isn't it? 🤣"

Damn, I forgot about that 😂

Not a holy lamb but the dog that is the symbol of crypto "doge coin" that Musk pumped. That coin has never had any utility. The thing as my avatar was a p1ss take making fun of the ridiculous following Musk can have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

ID.4 77kWh got 370km on this 70mph range test but weather was probably ideal. Even if you knocked off 50km to allow for winter weather, it would still be at 320km.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/527734/volkswagen-id4-pro-70mph-range-test/

This better @Silent Running?

Old:

New:

😂

Oh you BMW fanboi! 😁

Edit: If I could even look at the beaver front end without laughing, I might splash out on one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cannot answer your questions re model y. As you know I have a model 3 rwd lfp.

I find the model 3 has similar efficiency and range in the warmer weather and in slower roads as my previous 58kWh Id3. But the Tesla is significantly better at motorway speeds and cold weather. Your 77kWh should be much better than the model3/Y in most conditions.

in September I did a run down to London and home via Birmingham. Never even thought about charging. Just navigated to Suc and then used the cheaper Gridserve🤣. Never worried about speed and roads were a pleasure on the day of Queens funeral.

Lovely cars to drive, but everything so simple and just works. Build quality up there with VW now, imo

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t be swapping to the base MY to be honest. Be different if you were looking at the Performance version.

Advertisement