Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying traffic cones, pre-weighted or buy cones and sand separately?

Options
  • 13-11-2022 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I need to get 3 traffic cones. They need to be heavy enough to not easily move when hit (i.e. someone pushing it as they walk by, or perhaps dragging a bin over the edge), but I also want to be able to move them once a week or so, so not a complete deadweight.

Are the cones with sand built-in sufficiently heavy or are they fairly light, or should I buy the cones and bags of sand separately?

Where can you get the sand bags if the latter is preferable? Would prefer to order online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Maybe better in the DIY or Garden forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

How are you fixed from a PL view point or are they all inside your property

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

They will be inside my property

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you buy stackable cones you can stack them to make them less likely to move whilst easy to reposition.

e.g. https://www.theramppeople.ie/pe-traffic-cone-750mm

6.25kg each so two of those won't be going anywhere, and when the top one gets injured you can make it a bottom 😀

Thanks.. the base looks a bit thin though, I wonder is the weight stored in the main orange bit rather than the black base ?

also spotted these: https://www.hermeq.ie/mpl-traffic-cones.html

The 75cm is 5kg and the base looks nice and chunky which is something I also want

• Advertisement

If you think about how cones are used, they need to be light enough to be fecked off the back of a truck by the hundred, hollow enough to be stacked in transit, and not so heavy that they cause damage when vehicles hit them.

None of these properties exactly suit your use, so you're going to have to improvise.

A cone that is hard to move is a bollard. God loves a bollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

Sling 20 quid to the first council man you see and he'll hook you up.

Hmm but the ones listed here do suit my use? *confused*

I mean your requirement that they're difficult to move, since cones are designed to be easy to move.

nah the requirement was that it wouldn't budge if someone brushes against it as they walk by... 5 or 6kg should probably suffice for that.

I also wanted it to be not so heavy that it becomes a deadweight to move a few times a week.

If I did need extra sand where do you get those bags? Just any builder providers?

• Advertisement

If I did need extra sand where do you get those bags? Just any builder providers?

Yeah, they all do small 20kg bags.

Advertisement