Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hamilton and Verstappen hit eachother... body damage... and leClerc anf Norris hit,... body damage... interesting first lap.... including safety car lap+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Having seen the segment on the AMG One on Top Gear this evening, I already had my suspicions it was little more than a trojan horse for F1 development away from the prying eyes of the cost cap, now having seen even more closely how barely functional and completely unusable it is as an actual road car and what an utterly pointless project it is without some ulterior R&D motive, it's hard to see how it is anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Any thoughts on the Red Bull beyond-hypercar which is a track-only car and gives F1 performance?

I'm sure you have a reason why the Red Bull version is a noble, selfless pursuit where the Mercedes version is just a sneaky trojan horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great GP weekend that as it had pretty much everything you could have asked for bar a midfield team getting a podium buy hey ho.

I think the team mates/ team harmony aspect was massive this weekend, stroll nearly driving vettel off the road (after Austin the lad should really be on his best behaviour) the Ocon/Alonso show, leclerc essentially begging his team for Sainz to give up a podium for a handful of points and once again sounding less then happy on the radio, and obviously the max/perez position swap fiasco definitely sours the mood at red bull.

Mercedes look to be near enough to where they would want to be but I wonder how much of that is in terms of car development (can't imagine red bull have developed their car much recently) so obviously we will see how that goes into 2023, let's hope there's three constructors challenging for wins next year.

Midfield looks pretty punchy, Alpine really do have pace, and the Aston with Vettel has race pace atleast, if they can dial in that car for next season I'll be interested to see what alonso can do with it.

Onto Abu Dhabi where the only real thing up for grabs is P2 between perez and Leclerc so we will see if max will play nice to help him out this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A thing I have been wondering about Max not letting Checo past. He said on the radio that they discussed it in the summer, and not to ask him that question. He suggested in post-race interviews that they are even now, so will help in future. But if Red Bull hadn't asked him to move aside today, does that mean he wouldn't have been even, and would have done the same next week if the situation arose?

One is a 2 seater with a V8 engine that's intended to be a fast track car on its own merits. The other is a literal current F1 engine bolted onto a barely usable road car with experimental changes to its packaging layout, tolerances and cooling solutions. You should probably look at the actual plans rather than make assumptions based on who is involved.

The Red Bull projects sounds more like one of those passion projects to keep Newey engaged and happy, freedom to engage in this is the sort of thing that lured him to Red Bull from McLaren back in the day. But we will see when there's actually something to see.

Ha. As predicted. The Red Bull one is a noble 'passion project', and the dastardly Mercedes one is a Trojan Horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Multiple reports now that Schumacher is out and Hulkenberg is in.

I agree that it’s time for Mick to be moved on, Magnussen has shown that the car has had pace but Mick had never managed to get much out of the car at all.

Hulkenberg, though. A likeable driver but I don’t really expect him to do much either. Presumably just 1 year while they assess their options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This was always gonna happen. I do hope Mick lands a support role somewhere and his F1 career isn't over just yet.

• Advertisement

Mercedes is without a reserve driver for next year. Might be worth employing Mick to see what he can tell them about his experience of driving the Ferrari engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I thought Danny Ric was Merc reserve?

I'd say that would be a great fit for him.

Danny Rics manager is probably on the phone to RB as we speak anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I feel sorry for Mick. Thought he was doing ok this year and he seems like a decent nice guy. Magnusson wasn't supposed to be driving this year, he only got in after Vladimir Putin started acting the bollox.

On current form, if I was a team principal, I'd take Mick over Danny.

Noooooooo!

Stupid boards made me click on a poxy Merc advert, now I feel manky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd feel for Mick a bit aswell, he hasn't done that bad for only his second year in F1. The strategys haven't worked for him on a good few occasions and he's only had two dnf's in races. When Haas has had pace he hasn't been bad, he's only 2 points off Stroll but having the Schumacher name doesn't really help when it comes to expectation

• Advertisement

As a reserve driver? Ricciardo has massive potential of getting back to his old self. Mick is meh. As has been said elsewhere, remove the surname and he's never an F1 driver (although to be fair, same argument could be made about Latifi and, if you're feeling mean, Stroll). Seems like a nice dude and all, but life at the top is bloody hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I read it somewhere that Hulkenberg has an amazing ability to read the car and feed info back to the engineers, so that is likely why Haas have taken him on

If thsts true it could make him a great fit alright. Haas has had some serious trouble figuring out the car and improving it. Remember that year (2019?) where they couldn't figure out if the original in spec was better or worse than the upgrade. So they raced both specs for the second half of the season and never figured it out. That's poor.

If Hulk is that good at feedback, he could be a great addition to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching the race with the brother. What a great race OK a bit boring after the beginning but delighted for George Russell.

Very dissapointed in Max for not moving over and letting Sergio by.

What happened to Red Bull they even let Ferrari beat them? Not good.

I do not think next weekends race will be anywhere near as good.

I could be wrong we shall see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why is Verstappen being such a d!ckhead? He surely owed Checo that one, I was disappointed by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Rumour/speculation is that Sergio admitted to purposely crashing in Monaco Quali to stop Verstappen beating him, so Max vowed not to help him if/when the time came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If that happened to be true then I wouldn't blame Verstappen for not helping him but I'd find it hard to believe that Checo crashed on purpose

We'll never know if Perez did it on purpose. But were hearing that Max believes he did it on purpose and that's why he didn't help Perez on Sunday. If it's true, Max an hold a grudge like an irishman.

He considers he needed revenge on Perez and this was his way to get it. He wants Perez to know there's a price for every transgression. Some drivers might live and let live, but max will get revenge

The thing that I'm not sure about is whether he just wanted one-off revenge or if he had vowed to never help Perez again. His comments in the car suggest he never wanted to be asked to move over for Perez, but his comments post race suggest he would help Perez at the next race. Hard to know what he's thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

max owes him, he really should have fcuking moved over!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Binotto gone by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Binotto can hardly have any complaints getting the boot, Ferrari have a hefty highlights reel of mess ups all season!

The perez/Monaco situation is interesting, can it be revisited/retrospectivly punished for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Another Frenchman becoming team principal at Ferrari. Will he bring interesting to see if he will be successful like the last Frenchman who was in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Binotto seems to have fallen foul of the Peter Principle. Ferrari did well to develop the joint fastest car this season, but their race management is beyond a joke.

• Advertisement

Ferrari are denying the news, so it is probably true.

On the second part about punishing a driver retrospectively. Absolutely not. There's neither the will or precedent to trawl up the past and meddle in long finished races. How would they prove it anyway and what would the punishment be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Saying Checo crashed deliberately is another classic line from the Max Verstappen fanbook. It's like when they said Red Bull only went over budget because of catering. It's all deflection from the facts, that Max was a d1ck on Sunday.

Ah, I don't have a clue if Perez did it or not. How could I possibly know? But its being reported that Max thinks he did it and that's why he wouldn't help him on Sunday. Nothing wrong with commenting on the reports.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If Max has evidence of Perez cheating then he should present the facts or he should just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bad move by Ferrari imo but sure what's new about that? They need a new strategy team not a new team principle, Binotto was a technical whizz by all accounts and had a good relationship with both drivers.

Max hasn't said publicly he thinks perez did it no purpose. He doesn't have to prove anything. He is getting on with it, as you suggested.

Some media is reporting that he thinks it.

• Advertisement

This is an analysis of the laps he did in Q3 at Monaco. It is up to yourselves if he crashed on purpose or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

I think he’s been given a fair chance with 4 years. Given Ferrari’s resources, I don’t think you can say they’ve achieved much in that time.

This year they had a chance with the reset and were in the fight early season but fell off badly. Being beaten by the Red Bull is fine but possibly losing second to Mercedes after the start is a bit of a collapse.

Team as a whole could do with being more ruthless and decisive so I think if it is his time to go or be demoted, it might be for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

The telemetry is one thing and as ever won’t say whether the driver meant it or not. I still find the situation so illogical.

-Perez, a very reliable team player, deciding to make a stand while locking in a Ferrari 1-2 and risk his car while he’s at it

-Max waiting for payback for 5 months to deny Perez 6th place and harm relations

-An incident from 5 months ago now getting scrutinized as if no one cared at the time

I’d like to think there’s more to it as it’s all a bit pathetic. A bit of disharmony in RB will do no harm to the 2023 title with Mercedes’ trajectory.

Who knows? Max hasn't actually said why he did it. It could be payback for a real or imagined insult, or he might see himself as the main man and above giving up a place for another driver. We'll probably never know for sure unless Max tells us.

They've had the biggest budget other than Mercedes for years, and they had a completely free run at the new regulations, sacrificing their last couple of seasons to focus on this year's car while the other top teams were fighting tooth and nail for the championship.

Developing the joint fastest car this season really ought to have been a bare minimum expectation. I personally had them pegged as favourites long before pre-season testing kicked in.

But to have had that car and to be in a position where they might not even secure second in the WCC is disastrous. Binotto should have gone a couple of years ago - in reality he should never have been promoted into a position that's way out of his expertise and out of his depth to begin with. They were on a better trajectory under Arrivabene, they really stalled out and went backwards under Binotto and only the opportunity presented by the new rules this year allowed them to get back into a competitive position, one that they've then squandered badly.

I've always had a positive impression of Frederic Vasseur, he's done well at Sauber and was hugely successful in GP2 so I could see him move the team forward, though it's certainly a risk as he's never been in a position with anything like the level of pressure and expectation of Ferrari.

Yeah there is zero chance that was intentional, it risked damaging the gearbox and only served to help out Ferrari more than anything else, there was just no reasonable motive for it. It does seem like something that's just been stirred up by the media without any basis whatsoever, Verstappen hasn't mentioned it at all and he was clearly really happy for Perez at the time and there hasn't been the slightest hint of any suspicion in the months since. Whatever was discussed prior to Brazil about whether or not they would resort to team orders, I'd be pretty certain it wasn't this.

If I were to guess I could see it being something much more mundane like a pre-race agreement that they wouldn't use orders because Verstappen is still aiming to tumble records for the most successful ever single season (something that will be remembered long after whoever finished second), and Max took that to heart while the team figured it didn't apply when down in sixth.

It's all a massive mountain out of a molehill of course. Perez and Leclerc both could have gained points in the fight for P2 if their teammates who were both faster on the day and directly ahead donated a position to them, but both were denied which is ultimately fairer all round. Red Bull should have shown the good sense that Ferrari did in making the decision not to use unnecessary team orders themselves rather than placing the burden on the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

It wasnt some agreement talked about before this race, Max said on the radio he had already talked to them about it in the Summer so it's obviously something more substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If thats accurate then no way a penalty should be given to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

What’s great about that view(if accurate) is seeing Hamilton is basically doing all of the reacting to try and move Verstappen. Verstappen looks like he has picked his line and he’s confident that the corner is his.

What you can’t judge though is the reason the stewards penalised Max, which was the speed he was carrying into the corner.

It’s a strange one that looks one way, could be the other.

The onboard footage looked like Max was really unlikely to be able to maintain that line through the corner. I thought it was clear he was going to understeer into the road and I thought that's part of the reason he got the penalty

Hmmm not sure about that, something looked unlikely to be successful therefor it was clear it wouldnt have been successful?

Unless he actually understeers through space left by hamilton I don't think stewards can confidently apply a penalty. Bit of an exaggerated example but similar to when someone locks up trying to go down the inside and instead goes straight on and into the car on the outside.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement