Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19k to spend on a car

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Again- Thanks for all the input folks best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@tom1ie - "This thread was to find out was their an EV at 19k that suits my needs which there isn’t- not my financial education 😂"

Fair point but I think I speak for a few other posters too in saying that I'm worried you are making a decision that is not good for you. Just give it some thought before you decide to take up that loan. Whether it's for an EV or an ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

FWIW, I've put your two cars into the cost calculator I have and it results in a €315 monthly savings for the EV versus an ICE

Assumptions:

40,000km driving per year, seems realistic based on what you've told us

5l/100km consumption from the Civic

19kWh/100km average consumption from the Kona

90% charging at home at 13.75c/kWh

10% public charging at 37.5c/kWh

Diesel price at €2.10/l

Fuel cost for the Civic comes out at €4,160 and electricity for the Kona is €760. When other running costs factored in it comes to €4887 for the Civic and €1106 for the Kona

I didn't factor in tolls since I don't know which roads you typically travel on, or insurance costs because that's very individual. But I believe those would be worth another couple hundred per year based on what you've said

So I would say despite the larger loan the Kona is definitely worth a look

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah fair enough thanks for the input I appreciate it, but I’d just ask would you rather have a loan of 15k paid off in 5 years at a cost of €304pm or a 15k loan paid off in 5 years at a cost of €160pm about it’s the flexibility of knowing you can not overpay if you want (10year loan) or overpay if you want( 5year loan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Personally I never had and never will take out finance on a car. That has meant that for some periods of my live, I have owned and driven bangers.

Absolutely I get ya and I wouldn’t normally take out a loan either- but for this scenario I have to unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Soarer

If you can afford the €15k loan over 5 years, why not bite the bullet and get €30k over 10 years and get a Kona (or something similar)?

May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, and at least with the EV, you'll be saving on running costs so can overpay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Tom1ie - fair play for doing a decent cost model, most people dont. Your unit charge can be got lower but it will push up your day time home unit costs. Also you need to be really honest with the range - if 280km is a winter test range in reality you won't run it down to 0% so 260km is probably more realistic- and this will likely force you to stop and pay between 35 cent and 80 cent to charge at a public charger somedays. Factor in degradation too - e.g that Kona with 124k isnt going to be 100% unless its had a battery change, so the range could have dropped another 10% and you could be looking at 240km realistic range. With your mileage even a brand new ev is going to lose range over the next 6 years.

You consumption on the Civic is low, but your diesel costs very high so probably balance out. You would need to factor in some repairs too. As Unkel correctly points out higher repayments on a dearer car is not all cost - the more expensive car will be worth more in a few years. I would disagree with general comments around E.V.'s holding better value than petrol or diesels- I think it depends on the car and many diesels are holding their value really well and demand for most used cars is really high. I know people being offered more for two year old Tiguan's that they cost new in 2020. If anything I would se diesels holding value best as new ones are going to be priced out of it with higher VRT but I would assume all cars will depreciate.

In your shoes I would keep ev in real focus but hang on till you are more comfortable spending 50k+ on a long range car that can easily do 400km without charging. In meantime I think the Civic is a decent option - but equally with petrol tracking 20 cent a litre cheaper an economically hybrid might be the way to go https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris-auris-hybrid-luna-sport/32664129

No because I have other things to spend my money on- that’s the truth not meant to come across as smart or anything.

Thanks Casati for your input.

Yeah i really thought about the petrol option (hybrid won’t suit as I do 90% motorway), due to the cost difference per litre- however I can’t find a petrol car that does similar MPG as the civic for in and around the same mileage, at the same capital cost.

Petrols seem to be dearer.

Obviously EV’s are a lot dearer too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this raisin.

I may have given you a bum steer with the 40k per year mileage as it’s more like 24k.

My bad and apologies.

With 24k in mind it’s a lot closer in terms of overall cost per month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

But your posts state 3 trips a week of 300km. That’s 43k before any other driving 🤷‍♂️

*based on 900x48 working weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

You'd get a lovely Toyota hybrid in budget -

**2017**AUTO**HYBRID**NEW SHAPE**SELF-CHARGING**64 for sale in Dublin for €18,900 on DoneDeal

New shape Prius is surprisingly nice, or Lexus CT200H and IS300H are also within your reach -

Lexus CT 200H S-design hybrid for sale in Louth for €18,995 on DoneDeal

Lexus IS 300H, 2014 for sale in Galway for €17,950 on DoneDeal

NB these ads are just the first I found within budget online and not specific recommendations. A good compromise while you wait for the second hand EV market to cop itself on over the next couple of years, will look substantially sexier than an Ioniq or a Leaf, and will hold their resale value a lot better than a diesel, for which I fear demand is nosediving and unlikely to recover, may be hard to shift one in even 3 or 4 years.

But I do 90% plus motorway driving so hybrid mode at lower speeds won’t benefit me? Or am I misunderstanding the whole hybrid thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

On the Toyota hybrids above I had a 1.8 CHR 182 loaner while waiting for my EV to come in and it was honestly the roughest, most unrefined and underpowered yoke I've ever driven, I hated it. It wasnt even really any more economical than the 190bhp Audi A6 i had just sold, maybe with the recent price differential between diesel and petrol it would be a bit cheaper to run but very little difference in consumption.

I'm not sure if Toyota do better hybrids than that but my god it was desperate. I see they are in the top 4 or 5 sellers in the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

where?

it seems you’re all over the place with what mileage you actually do?

other posters are quoting 40km too so im obviously not the only one confused?

Ok.

I said above, 24k on two separate occasions.

Look I think we’ve figured out the answer to the question on this thread so we might leave it at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

For motorway Civic is hard to beat. Megane 115bhp v economical, comfortable and cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

If you can easily afford a 3-5 year term, why are you prepared to give the credit union an extra €1000 in interest payments, for flexibility which you say you don't need?

If the €144 extra per month could be the difference in missing a payment or not, then I think the €160 loan is a bad idea too.

What's the reason you need to change car?

The A6 wasn't a patch on the Rolls Royce either I'm sure, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, you are more or less. A Toyota or other hybrid will be comparable in running costs to a typical diesel motorway cruiser, probably slightly cheaper but it will also have better resale value as a) they're hugely popular in Ireland b) the ar5e may (probably will) fall out of diesel.

A plug-in hybrid is better for nipping around town but you have to always remember to plug it in. Plenty I know don't in which case they end up funding a usually big and thirsty petrol engine all the time. The mild hybrids work completely differently on an Atkinson Cycle model where a portion of the petrol produced power is constantly going to charge the battery which is in turn constantly assisting the internal combustion engine to reduce running costs regardless of town or country driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Only comparison I gave between A6 and CHR was that they were very similar in fuel consumption despite the Toyota being very underpowered and pretty much advertised as a fuel efficient option, which I didn't find it to be at all!

Advertisement