Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn Internationals 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Talking with my mates we felt it was a lot of of the same problems. Our props aren't good enough. I don't think Barret and Whitelock are a good combo at test level. If Rettallick isn't available I'd rather Vaea as the other lock. Loosies are good but Akira is hot and cold whereas Frizzel seems more consistent. Akira can go missing from the tight work. Papali'i is better than Cane.

Christie wasn't bad but didn't grab his chance. Barrett is Barrett but I'm not sold on Havilli. Also prefer ALB at 12 than 13 but I think Jordie has shown he's the best 12.

Subs made an impact. Glad to TJ showing he still has something to offer.

We never seem to put Scotland to the sword at Murrayfield. Never feel like we're going to lose but it takes ages to finish them.

Foster is delusional and needs to go. I'm not seeing any progress in the side. Just a lot of the same inconsistencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Erasmus is technically not disseminating falsehoods. But could the flagrant one-sidedness of his third party communications, which are damaging to the reputation of a professional referee, be straying into the territory of defamation?

I wonder if he was smart enough to look into what said referee does during the week....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

If this jumped from Twitter to the courts it might bring in some new fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Happens all the time, as another poster mentioned. Barnes does it every single game, as do a lot of other refs. The "guys" he is referring to are not the players but the rest of the referee team, so the ARs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Barnes is just an ok ref. Talks a lot, is very arrogant and barely gets more right than wrong. Not saying that Rassie is right to raise these issues on Twitter (he is not) but inconsistency should be fused through the right channels. As for the French and the comms problems with the final try replay - they should be fined. It is not the first time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Rassie is taking short clips and making big statements about them, he might be right in what he is saying but he shouldn't be airing his laundry in public, there is a mechanism in place for coaches to discuss items with officials.

Rugby is a complex game to referee, every has multiple players from two sides entering from different angles that need watching, players rolling away, holding on, poaching, going off their feet, playing the ball on the ground and all within the space of a few seconds, there isnt a Hope that the 4 officials watching play will catch everything.

What rassie is not taking into account are the calls that go his way where his players are in the wrong, the officials on the most part get things right and what they dont tends to balance out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Watched the France/Boks match on YouTube.

E. Honda would be proud of Du Toit's flying headbutt...

France should play some 6 Nations matches in Marseille, an absolute bear-pit of a ground that would give even the most composed teams the willies.

France firm WC favourites from here on out.

Rassie behaving like a QAnon conspiracy theorist...standard.

They've played Italy there before, in 2018. Not sure why an exception was made or why they haven't played there again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Agree, looks like an obvious forward pass to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

backwards out the hands.it’s not that hard to see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rassie continues to make a fool of himself this evening, pathetic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Having a go at Barnes for speaking French in a game involving France. What an absolute prick.

His behaviour is not going to influence referees one little bit

I don't think it's a forward pass, looks like it's passed back and momentum carries it forward. basically this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think momentum is a factor as the passer isn't running that fast. He slows down nearly to walking pace and even starts to move towards the touchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Agreed - momentum only contributes to the ball drifting forward if you're actually still moving forward - IMO he shifts his run towards the touchline to push that momentum into distance on that throw, and drifts marginally forward.

That said, the "hand off isn't a hand off and probably should have been a penalty - as should the one that someone shared to Kolbes wife.

Rassies crusade about "inconsistent refereeing" is completely disingenious. It's "just asking quesstions" territory. He cherrypicks out those that help him drum up the base, and keep pressure off himself and the team from the springbok supporters, and puts a bit of pressure on WR. Reality is, while there are inconsistencies in refereeing, if the game was ref'ed in such a way to give him no opportunity to put videos out, it'd essentially be unwatchable and he'd be complaining over the fact that the Boks lost because they couldn't build momentum in a spot-start game.

Rassie clarifying that he's not the problem, you are.

Kolbes wife tweeting insinuating France bribed Wayne Barnes.

World Rugby need to just ban rassie permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How the hell do you come to that conclusion? He's telling people to ignore or mute him if they don't like his opinions.

He even apologises if his tweets offend you.

Like him or loathe he's entitled to air his opinions just like you.

Well that's wrong although if you never watched a game of rugby before you could be forgiven for believing that.

Beyond belief there are still people here who think Rassie is great even after his behaviour this week. I'm amazed at the unswerving loyalty he commands despite having done so little to earn it and never having reciprocated it.

He could sh1t in your granny's shoes and you'd still make her wear them to mass.

The hate for South Africa is so evident in this post.

No mention anywhere of the France red card which was even more dangerous. I was very surprised to see Dupont do that.

Both were definite reds. Both will lead to lengthy bans.

Rassie does what he does. If you don't like it don't read or listen to it. It's your choice. I don't like it but I firmly believe it's a move to bring his team together with an us vs the world attitude.

Whatever you have to say about him he's been great for South African rugby.

He earned it by winning a World Cup and by taking in the “old boys club” world rugby.

• Advertisement

He's entitled to air his opinions, but not to drag the game into disrepute.

He's not some Joe Public online (like all of us here) just shouting into the void; his actions have very real and direct consequences and impact on the game. He's putting pressure on referees and encouraging a more NFL-like approach to the game, where every infinitesimal little decision should be micro-analysed.

He has a mechanism to query refereeing decisions if he wants, but this is something different.

I've already given my opinion as to why he does it.

Just to add, I don't read Twitter, Facebook etc. The only stuff I see from there is on here. If you don't like his stuff then don't read it. I'm sure you can set up your accounts on those sites to block any post/tweet or whatever you call it that has Rassie in it?

That's not a valid excuse.

His desire to create a siege mentality or rally up his players isn't a valid justification for disparaging the integrity of referees. It's harmful to the game.

He deserves to be disciplined for these actions (just like he was last time).

Part of me thinks he wants that here; because it will just further allow him to build his false narrative of the world against the big bad Springboks.

What's his ultimate goal? I'd be 99.9% certain it's to win the World Cup. They did that last time up and they have a team good enough to do it again.

If they do it again you'll have loads of people saying they did it in spite of Rassie. Truth is that those people will be lying to themselves and anybody that will listen to them.

I'm sure referees are in touch with each other all the time and supporting each other. It's not going to affect the decisions they make in the field during a game.

It's not just about elite referees at the top of the game. He's encouraging an environment where referees are subject to an even heightened level of scrutiny and criticism.

It's a job that is already relatively thankless yet integral to the game.

If this type of culture that Rassie is promoting became the norm, absolutely no one anywhere would want to do the job.

Many people do though and some of the abuse aimed at referees is disgusting. A players insinuating a ref was bribed is toxic. She was quiet the week before when her husband escaped a red card though funnily enough.

Time for World Rugby to sanction SARU significantly IMO

• Advertisement

Gonna make my Donald Trump comparison again here.

The New York billionaire (and son of a billionaire) convinced a lot of gullible people and self-interested snakes that he was the man to stand up for the working man against the "coastal elites".

Now we have a lad above who says Rassie is sticking it to the "old boys club" of rugby, and there are legions of SA people on twitter rowing in behind that line. Just a reminder that SA are one of the most powerful members of that old boys club. They got away with subjugating an entire race of people purely on the basis of their status in said club.

This is nothing to do with his team. Like Trump, this is all about Rassie and his ego.

I don't mind the SA poster slavishly defending him, that's in his DNA. What melts my brain is Irish people doing it when all he did was p"ss in our face and tell us it was lemonade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

I havent seen much from SA to suggest they are going to win the RWC or are even on track to do it. Is their team good enough to do it? Yes but what evidence is there that the coaches or Rassie are doing anything that's in the end going to lead to them lifting the trophy. To me this talk about winning the RWC is a lazy excuse to just to buy themselves time, identical to what Jones is doing with England it seems. The reality is throughout this cycle what have SA done very little to advance their game, if they were to play a RWC final tomorrow and everyone was fit and on form they XV SA would name would more or less be the same as 2019 bar fullback and arguably No.8 which was already a squad in its prime if not slightly on the older side. So with all this talk about 2023 what has the coaches changed? If anything they seem to be hiding behind the "we won RWC last time which means we can automatically win it against" bollocks

So if u want to talk about pre 94 apartheid then let’s discuss the way the Irish treat the traveler community??no difference to that and apartheid.u don’t allow them in hotels or pubs,u look down on them and treat them as shite?can’t wait to hear ur excuse now

Do you remember the Autumn internationals the year before the last World Cup? They beat a bad French team by 3 points, an even worse Scotland by six points and lost to England and Wales. They finished second in the 2018 rugby championship and won it in 2019. They finished second in this year's rugby championship, let's see how they do next year.

Does this time around seem any different so far?

I want to be clear here, I don't like Rassie and how he goes on but I respect how good he is at his job.

• Advertisement

Well you can't possibly be suggesting that they sanction them because of what the wife of a player said?

It almost reads like you're saying rugby is responsible for apartheid

No but its the type of toxic crap he wants to generate with his video tweets and its time world rugby grew a pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

But once again you prove my point about the Book coaching staff basically hiding behind the "we did it last time" excuse. I have yet to see how exactly those Autumn internatioanls played any role in them winning the RWC?

So basically after 4 years in the job he is in a position no different than he was in 2018...doesn't that sort of prove my point? At least in 2018 he had the excuse that his squad was in transition, you cant make that excuse with this squad.

Its smart by Rassie, hide behind the "we won the RWC in 2019" excuse and then when it all implodes next year he cant be fired as he'll already completed his job, not that it matters as he's practically his own boss.

The stupidity of the comparison.

Rassie is giving his opinion.

Trump told people to do things, incited people to take action. Trump is racist and homophobic. Trump uses religion when it suits him. Cried foul over an election as a con job to take more money from those less intelligent people. Have you seen the court documents released by the hacker group relating to underage sex by two males with a fifteen year old? The other male named in those documents conveniently committed suicide in prison.

Your comparison is crazy.

Hiding behind winning the World Cup? How is that a thing? 😁

They won the World Cup, that's a huge achievement. It doesn't matter if they don't do it this time. It's an incredible achievement if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rassie doing Rassie! If world rugby has a problem with him, they will sanction him. He'll go as far as he's allowed.

South Africa are in a good position going forward. They played Europe's 2 best teams and lost both by a combined 10 points. Of course, they didn't have Pollard who would probably have made a difference.

I agree that S.A have not evolved much. I believe they will have to. They won't bludgeon their way to the world cup. They will be tough and ready.

He(rassie), is following a long line of sports people who use social media to advance their pov. He's entitled to do it? Best to ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

They won the WC where they got spanked by NZ, beat a game Japan, struggled past an average Wales who were only in the semi by virtue of Vahamina being an idiot, and beat a good English team. All conquering they were not.

Absolutely not.

Just pointing out that SA carry a lot of weight in World Rugby, the idea that they need Rassie to stick up for them against the "old boys" is absolute bollocks. They are the old boys.

I presume you read my post. Can you tell me where I said they were "all conquering" or even suggested it?

It doesn't matter how you win a World Cup by the way, winning it is all that matters.

People will celebrate it every bit as much as if you destroyed every team and you'll be in the record books as World Cup winners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement