Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We saw the physical toll of the S.A match. A number of lads nursing injuries. The fringe lads need run outs. Treadwell has done very well imo. He will play again this week imo. Loughman needs another shot. He did fine last week and I reckon he has a chance to step up. Carberry was ok. He made tackles and put his body on the line. That's what we should expect. I was thinking that he was doing fairly well until he went off.

Baloucoune didn't get much ball, whether by design or under instruction, I don't know but, he hasn't really laid down a marker. I hope he plays this week and delivers. When Conway returns, he'll be under pressure to hold on to his spot. McCloskey did well but, I don't think enough! Another run out this week? But, then Aki is available and Henshaw needs minutes.

Crowley was so so. His debut and all so, I suppose he will be happy to get that out of the way. I hope he starts this week! The result means fcuk all! Depth should be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Henshaw is out AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Shehal

The result means alot actually, the aim needs to be continuing our momentum going in 2023. Handing out caps just to test people out is the wrong approach, these players need to earn their caps as they are more likely to step up and perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

McCloskey Aki partnership would be fairly abrasive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think we seriously need to calm it down on the Jack Crowley hype. Like, he's only started a handful of games at 10 for Munster, and hasn't really shone in any of them. He's never scored a try. He's 2nd choice (at best) at Munster. Granted he was good on the EI tour. But that was against Currie Cup B-Teams. He had a fairly mixed 30 minutes against NZ XV and an "ok" 30 minutes against Fiji. And people are now talking about him starting v Australia. Like, let's calm it down a bit. Maybe he will be great. He does seem to have the skills and athleticism, and he looks like a natural 10. The coaches seem to really rate him and I'd trust their judgement. But he's done nothing to warrant a start v Australia. Is he really ready to have Hooper, Valetini, Tupou, Samu, Arnold and Skelton running at him? I don't think so. I want to see him go and nail down the Munster 10 jersey and put an outstanding run of form together there before I get giddy about him.

The exact arguments you're making about his lack of experience could have been made about Joey Carbery, Garry Ringrose, James Ryan, Caelan Doris, Dan Sheehan and a handful of others.

Sometimes you just know when a guy is destined for a higher level, and I feel that's how it is with Jack Crowley. A variety of injury circumstances has contrived to put him in this chance: Frawley's injury, Carbery's injury last week, and potentially Sexton being out. If he gets a start on Saturday he might not be ready, but we won't know until we give him a chance.

This notion that we need him to get 50 Munster caps before throwing him into the next step is antiquated thinking to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Most of those guys play for leinster. That makes it different. I’m not even being funny, that’s the mindset.

Farrell goes down provincial depth charts all the time. This is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

10 is a bit different though, you really need someone with experience leading the team. its almost impossible to do that to an international standard when youre not doing it every week for your club/province.

id usually agree but carbery is seemingly always going to be first choice for munster without actually deserving it so its almost impossible for healy and crowley

I think this coaching staff thinks that there is no chance of winning a world cup without sexton, so why bother developing back ups. It’s cynical but logical.

So, why not just try your hardest to beat australia? It makes sense to me.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I get that, but because JvG didn't give Jack Crowley a chance doesn't mean everyone else is bound by that same approach.

I think if Sexton is fit he'll start this week, and Crowley will get an opportunity from the bench, but if Sexton isn't good to go, then we should back Crowley.

The really important thing with this though is that we don't throw him to the lions after his performance one way or another. He's going to make mistakes and parts of it will unquestionably be bumpy. We just need to collectively not overreact good or bad to how he goes.

Carbery, Ringrose and Doris had all started and excelled in European Cup games, MOTM performances etc. and were fixtures in the Leinster 23. Sheehan had a fairly substantial body of work for Leinster behind him when he made his Ireland debut. James Ryan is the exception, not the rule. If Jack Cowley starts on Saturday and has the impact James Ryan had when he first broke in, I'll be the first one on here admitting I was wrong.

Who said anything about 50 caps for Munster. If he was to have 5 very good games for Munster between now and the 6N, I'd be all for throwing him in there. But he hasn't done that yet. He's had one pretty good game at 15, a about 4 ok to decent games at 10. He hasn't even nailed down the 22 jersey.

As I said, I'm a fan. I think he could be great. But we've been here before with the latest new 3rd choice 10. We know there's a dearth behind Sexton, so we really want them to be great, therefore we hype them up to be more than they are.

How come there isn't so much hype around Jamie Osborne. He's younger than Crowley, and has done a lot more at provincial level? Because we're stacked at centre. We aren't as desperate for someone the come through

He was excellent in the game against ulster a few weeks ago. Way above ‘decent’.

There’s no point putting him in 6 nations games, that’s too close to the world cup. Either start developing him now or go with a more senior option imo. There is a time crunch element.

He wasn't able to get those games for Munster because he went away on the EI tour; something which the Ireland management are hardly going to hold against him.

The Carbery comparison to me isn't out of whack - he made his European debut in October 2016 and then his Ireland debut less than a month later against the All Blacks in Chicago. Most of the guys I mentioned made their provincial debuts within a year of getting their first Irish caps.

i completely agree with the last point, have been massive overreactions to other 10s performances at times.

but i do think whether crowley plays on saturday is irrelevant (or should be anyway) unless he nails down a place in the munster squad and ideally as the starting 10. if he isnt getting the experience of leading munster most weeks then he wont be in a good enough position to do the same for ireland in a rwc if needed. in my opinion anyway that is

Agreed on the Munster point, but sometimes the activity of the national coach will push the provinces in the direction you want them to.

JGP has been the nailed on Leinster starting 9 since he became the Irish 9. There are a couple of other similar examples.

If you trust the Munster management to select the best option, then the problem will look after itself. If he isn't able to justify being ahead of Joey Carbery and Ben Healy domestically, then he isn't the guy for this RWC cycle anyway. But I do think he's shown he will be that guy for both Munster and Ireland in time.

i have the feeling that your first point is part of the reason that carbery always gets straight back into the munster team whenever he isnt injured tbh.

to your last point, i hope that is the case with the new munster setup but i personally dont think thats how it worked previously. JJ, Healy and Crowley all did well enough to warrant keeping the 10 jersey but carbery would be parachuted straight back in as soon as he was available. whether that was van graan or due to pressure from the irfu, it was always so frustrating to see the others show promise and then have JC straight back in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sheehan had played 17 professional games in his life, starting 5, before he made his Ireland début.

Crowley had played 17 professional games, starting 6, before he made his Ireland début against Fiji.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's no logic to this though. Why would Ireland insist that an Irish qualified player be picked ahead of another Irish qualified player?

Carbery always gets picked because he's infinitely better than Healy. Absolutely no contest.

If Crowley can show that he's better than Carbery, he'll get picked. That is how it works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Like, he's only started a handful of games at 10 for Munster, and hasn't really shone in any of them.

That's not accurate tho, imo. This season, he was excellent against Ulster recently from 10 and very good at 15 vs Leinster.

From memory of last season, he was very good in Castres on his Eurpoean debut (and was 100% off the tee) and against Ospreys in what was a dreadful team performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Jalibert got his first French cap, starting at 10 in a 6 nations match against Ireland aged 19. He Played very well but got a knee injury in his first game

Ntamack got his first international cap at the age of 2020, again, in a 6 nations game.

Crowley is 22, and he's been given a few minutes because a 37 year old 10 is just about fit enough to play in a relatively unimportant game

Not quite as simple as that. Carbery has a high ceiling, but hasn't found the form he once had, he won't find that form unless he gets game time and his confidence improves. Unfortunately, this impacts the other 10s at Munster.

He's also been given an awful lot of investment, having him sitting on the rehab list for years on end, and then not even playing him when he's fit?

Everyone would have tough questions to answer about that

I think Carbery is currently the 2nd best/possibly 3rd best 10 at Munster. Healy had an excellent performance against the SA A team last week. Carbery has not had that game yet, for either Munster or Ireland, and now he's injured again, hopefully he'll pass the RTP protocals and be available for Connacht, and then it'll likely be between him and Healy to battle for those Minutes.

Anyway, Sexton says he's fit and ready to play on Saturday night, so he's very likely to start, if it's a close game, Crowley won't be brought on until well past the 70th minute, unless Sexton gets injured

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Was that the knee injury that warranted a HIA so they could bring someone back on?

Yeah. Both Jalibert and Dupont kept their brains in their knees for that game... those crafty frenchmen

because he was backed as heir apparent for some reason, lots of moving between provinces went on to facilitate him playing 10 and now the irfu need to show there was reason for it. as a munster fan i dont think its been worth it overall tbh

carbery is in no way infinitely better than healy. carbery has consistently been average at best for munster over the last few years, healy had a bad game against leinster and was average against connacht but has been pretty good this season in a poor time. he was fantastic against SA A last week too. no contest my hoop. carbery is probably a better overall player than healy or crowley but both of the others are much better 10s than he is

pretty much all of the other options have shown they are better at 10 than carbery and yet he still gets picked so no, thats not 'how it works'. it should be, but it isnt

i get what youre saying but at the same time, theres a point where you have to cut your losses and realise there are much better options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

If McCloskey (as opposed to Henshaw) is in the 12 shirt I think O'Brien makes more sense in the #23 shirt than Aki. Henshaw moving out to 13 with Aki coming on arguably strengthens the side, but I don't think you could say the same if McCloskey had to move out or Aki played 13. O'Brien is probably a better 13 than Aki or McCloskey, and Ringrose can do a fine job at 12. So, given JOB also covers the back three, I think he's the man for the bench spot.

I suppose Stockdale could also be in the mix, but he hasn't played centre in ages, as far as I'm aware.

Jalibert was absolutely flying for Bordeaux in the Top14 and scoring worldies. Crowley hasn't yet nailed down the Munster 10 jersey. Not a good comparison.

Ntamack was starting week-in week-out for Toulouse.

• Advertisement

He wasn't "excellent" against Ulster. He was grand. I agree he was very good against Leinster at 15, but I specified that was "at 15". So unless he's picked by Ireland at 15, that's irrelevant. He's there as a 10, so I'm judging him as a 10.

Again, he was grand v Castres. I wouldn't say "very good". And personally, if I was try to make a case for a player's inclusion, I'd try not to mention losses against the Ospreys.

I like Crowley. I think he's very good. I just don't think he's put together the body of work to justify the hype he's getting. His recent "rise" (as it's been called) is almost entirely a result of injuries to others, rather than anything he's done. He hasn't had one game at 10 for Munster that's made you say "woah this guy is special". If he's as good as people say he is, he'll have no trouble ousting Carbery and Healy.

Advertisement