Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

@Leroy42

Ivanka is a big loss. She was the moderate voice in 2016, the way to smooth Trump's edges, especially with women, but also overall.

Disagree. She came out anti-abortion which loses any cred she has as a moderate. She had no influence over TFG beyond helping with pro-Goya ads.

She absolutely was his intended running mate. He must have been raging going on stage

the responses to her tweet (“we know BS when we see it in Arizona”, or something like that) are very entertaining. Generally along the lines of “yep, you got that right” and “nice self reflection there”. And her fans pointing to the fact that she has more twitter and Facebook followers than her rival as proof that she cannot possibly have lost. It’s comical and so Trumpian

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There are still some posters on here equating "likes" and crowds with votes and can't understand when actual votes go the other way (or they bubble seething just under the stolen election narrative and spill over now and then).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I only just read yesterday that Kari Lake called John McCain a loser during campaign and said that Arizonans don't like losers. Given how close the race was all she had to do is let McCain RIP and she probably would have won it. She literally talked herself out of a win by attacking a dead man and someone who was very popular in Arizona. But that's what happens when you follow the Trump play book.

She also sent Liz Cheney a hate soaked letter during the campaign but Cheney got the last laugh with this tweet yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

That little pained and insincere closed-mouth smile after Trump announced he'd be running. That's all you need to know right there. I think he knows his time as a major political influence is coming to a close.

However, I'm still surprised that he didn't announce at a rust belt rally. Holding at Mar a Lago only furthers the idea that he suddenly can no longer fill those kinds of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

My knowledge of American politics is a little rusty, but is it not early to be announcing a presidential bid considering the election is two years away?

Seems he’s trying to spook the republican opposition into not running against him.

No rules on this. TFG announced for 2020 the week he was inaugurated in 2017. First primaries are January 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Usually it'd be the coming spring/summer in the normal cycle. It's very early, especially considering there's still the Georgia run off to come and trump's announcement will divert fundraising away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not that unusual. American presidential elections can last up to 2 years which of course reflects American craziness.

It'll be interesting to see how CNN deal with Trump this time given the ridiculous coverage they gave him for years. People have copped on that they were making lots of money by saying how bad he was. They can't get away with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Can a mod change the thread title to 'What does the future hold for Florida Man?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very boring speech with the same old tired lies repeated. He's just exhausting at this stage and outside the hardcore MAGAists, who does Trump actually appeal to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭francois

I can quite see what must be the GOP’s nightmare scenario: Trump losing the Primaries but refusing to concede, calling them a fraud and that thy were stolen. That would utterly split the GOP support and hand everything to the Dems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Ahwell

This is the earliest presidential candidacy announcement in history. So there is obviously something else going on here - a dash to become a presidential candidate before the indictments start coming in.

Post edited by Ahwell on

Trump thinks announcing a run will protect him from indictment, legally he's incorrect, however he'll say (untruely) that he's being victimised and that Joe Biden has weaponised the DOJ

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump announcing now has a few elements to it.

He is announcing because he feels he need to protection of candidacy to shield him from Prosecution. It doesn't give him anything of the sort , but he hopes that it might give the DOJ pause and that they might hold off in charging him - They won't.

He also correctly believes that the only thing that might stop him being convicted in two years time is being President again , but time is not on his side here.

The Official declaration of his candidacy was supposed to be some kind of valedictorian speech following a GOP blowout victory in the mid-terms that he would claim as full vindication of everything he has ever said, allowing him to crest a wave and to a large extent clear the field in front of him. He would have all the right-wing media arrayed behind him in support etc. etc.

Of course that didn't pan out but because he had signaled it so loudly and clearly he had to go ahead with the announcement as any delay would correctly have been seen as an admission that the mid-terms were a disaster.

So , his pre-election bluster and hubris forced him to go ahead with the announcement.

So in the endit weas a damp squib of an announcement with no recent achievements to promote so he was forced to roll out the sad and tired "greatest hits" that no one wants to hear anymore.

An announcement so dull and uninspiring , the crowd tried to leave and had to be kept in the room by security.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot can happen in two years and a lot can be forgotten about in the same time frame. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the GOP suddenly had a change of heart and started backing Trump again, if it meant another shot at the Presidency for them. The right wing press and media, too, have form in changing their tunes when it suits them. Into the bargain, the Democrats don't seem to have anyone at the forefront to offer at the moment. IIRC, Biden hasn't offered anything solid on running for a second term? Or have I misinterpreted that? In any case, Biden may have Trumped the orange gobshite once, but there's nothing to say that he'll be able to do it again.

In addition, given the absolute wretched state of US politics in the last few years I also wouldn't be surprised if Trump actually managed to get to the WH in 2024.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The GOP only care about winning which is why they are only now seriously looking at trying to distance themselves from him.

So , if he still holds the keys to getting past the primaries for these charlatans then they will slither back to him. But once they are clear of the primaries they'll try to avoid him like the plague.

Trumps ability to win in 2024 has been very badly damaged by these midterm results - He hoped to have legislative influence in multiple swing states through the likes of Mastriano , Lake and others that could help him secure those States in close races.

All those attempts to overturn results that were rebuffed in 2018 would have been welcomed with open arms by people like Kari Lake in 2024 - But she's not there and none of the other Election deniers won their races in those key swings states either so he's in deep trouble and his almost disconsolate announcement last night suggest he might actually know it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,449 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s a bizarre thing to announce as a policy agenda on the exact same night Artemis launched on its maiden test flight around the moon (unmanned drone flight).

Because, NASA isn’t going to Mars it’s going to the moon. Artemis and the Lunar Gateway is committed.

But if he and Elon want to go plant a flag on Mars together I say glory to both of them 👋

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I can't wait to find out what Trump has on Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If Trump had an ounce of sense (and he doesn't) or if he listened to the one or two people in his orbit who know full well what's coming (and he won't), Trump would move to a nice little tax haven in the Caribbean and live out the last 3 years of his life quietly, before burger cancer gets him.

Instead we are going to be treated to the full Pay-Per-View of his destruction; financially, legally, politically and probably family wise too, such as it is.

I'll also be delighted to get the popcorn out for the massively destructive exercise that the GOP will have to carry out to exorcise him and the Cruz/Gaetz/MTG imbeciles. What fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump could be out of the Presidency race by Christmas.

Rupert Murdoch does not play nice.

He might be out of it by Thanksgiving.

In fact, I'd nearly go so far as to say if he's still in it by Christmas, in the face of this approach by Murdoch, he'll likely be the nominee.

Edit number 2: This is the content from Page 26 of the Post.

He's toast if you ask me. No way he gets any meaningful support without a propaganda arm.

Post edited by Tell me how on

Nothing is my guess. Conservatives are weenies.

Trump's clownish conduct only makes total submission to him more humiliating, and therefore more irresistible, to the Republican leadership. It's a mentality that's largely foreign to liberals, except perhaps in the controlled environment of the bedroom or the sex club. But this kind of willful subjugation is a 24/7 way of life for conservatives, whose entire worldview is about power and pecking orders. They had their fun pretending to resist Trump, but now he's pulled out the whip and yanked the chain. As they have a hundred times before, they'll fall on their knees, begging for a chance to serve the fake-tanned fraud they've made their master. 

I'd wager something that substantiates the 'ladybug' rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well, there are a few notable exceptions now. And the list is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Maybe Mel is planning on being First Lady Magaga

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Trump is just about the one GOP opponent that Biden is sure to beat , sleepy Joe must be over the moon at this announcement

Biden is a bit like Enda Kenny , mediocre talent, will never do anything too dynamic, a Washington lifer but you couldn’t ever despise the guy and with the right handlers, won’t burn down the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You do get the sense that Republican voters want to move on. I think we'll get to a point when people who were rabidly pro-MAGA will pretend they never supported him out of embarrassment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement