Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nicely put @Hesh's Umpire - I also didn't know her but have benefited from her work. RIP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I am surprised that I am only having to ask this question now (family trees to date have all been Ireland with a pinch of the US)

Is there a free site for searching B/M/D records for England (GB) similar to that of IrishGenealogy.ie?

I have a great-grandaunt who (per census records) was born in England c. 1873 and I am hoping to get some residence info for her parents at the time

There is a free index site at freebmd.org.uk but no images.

Most sites have access to the 1881 census for free because it was an early digitisation project.

Familysearch probably your best bet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Heartbreaking and heart warming at the same time! There will be more coming back I'll bet.

• Advertisement

Another wee question, it may be an obvious one but thanks in advance!

In my wife's tree her 2x GGM remarried following the death of her husband (my wife's 2xGGF) and had a son named Charles.

My wife has an Ancestry match with Charles' son.

In this instance, is the relationship Half 1C-2R?

I had to plot it out - I need the visual!

Yes, you're right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to (using the cousin chart) go another generation back to the nearest common grandparents

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi all, just wondering if there is an equivalent for RIP.ie in the UK?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is one I've bookmarked in the past...

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Sadly there is no real equivalent for RIP in UK. Death notices are not always in newspapers. Funerals tend to be less 'public' and can be several weeks after the death with attendance at a service by invitation. The need for a public notice is less urgent given the delay in holding a service. I see that one I used use "iannounce" is no longer around and one posted by Hermy is best.

I received my adoption file yesterday.

Although it's mostly information I have seen before the file is now unredacted and in full colour - a vast improvement on anything I had received before.

Also, I now know the name and address of the putative father which is intriguing as I don't know if he is real or made up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Congrats. Nice to hear that all your determination and hard work has finally paid off! Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Happy for your good news at last Hermy. With your expertise you may be able to confirm if the name is real or not.

Mick, in fairness the person to doff the cap to in this case is Roderick O'Gorman who implemented the legislation necessary to make our files available to us, though the question still remains as to why he was able to do what no previous minister was able to do. Though I have to add I am thankful that I managed to trace my birth parents before the legislation was changed. That mattered to me.

Yes Jelly, if the person mentioned is real I fully expect to be able to trace them but what I really hope to establish is why their name was put down at all and given what I know already of my backstory it's hard to speculate as to the reason.

Another person I'd like to make contact with whose name has now been unredacted is that of the medical registrar at Temple Street Hospital whose letters to Temple Hill refer to me as this little chap or this young chap, sentiments that belie the notion that it was an exclusively cruel environment us adoptees existed in back then. It's a small thing but it's always resonated with me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you want a laugh, I'm on a podcast this week. I give the boards gang a mention!

https://familyhistoriespodcast.com/2022/12/06/s04ep06-the-politician-with-claire-bradley/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Lovely Claire, well done! I can say 'snap' to a few of your comments. For example my marriage cert was incorrect for 35 odd years until I thought to get a proper copy for myself having collected so many other ones. Up to that point, I seem to have coasted thru life on back of a church certificate. Then later when other half was applying for buspass... it turned out that the official birth record was incorrect and different from the handwritten copy we had used down the years! there is even a record of mother in law correcting it but the 'official' register had not been changed. I can see how you are a natural teacher with such an engaging style.

You're very kind!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

I don’t know if this is the right place but I got all of my dad’s files from birthinfo recently. There’s 12 years of letters from his mother there, I know where she last lived in the 50’s but I’d love to find out where and when she died and is buried. I’ve tried various online places such as findmypast but can’t find her death anywhere. I also have the putative father’s name and would probably like his death info too. I’ve found their birth records but that’s all. Where could I look please, considering I have no idea of when she died. TIA

• Advertisement

Well done on getting your Dad's file APMom - I got mine recently too.

There is a dedicated adoption forum you can post in but we can provide some general info here about tracing deceased persons.

However, please be aware that it is forum policy not to discuss searches involving living individuals.

Irish civil death records up to 1971 are currently available for free at the irishgenealogy.ie website.

For records after this date you can visit the research room in Werburgh Street, Dublin City.

Also, do you know if the person married - a search for a marriage record might be another option.

Newspaper notices are another great source, not just deaths but obituaries and anniversary notices as well which sometimes give names of other family members. The Irish News Archive (subscription necessary) has the largest collection of Irish newspapers and is free to search in many public libraries.

If the person you're looking for was from a rural area you could try searching the local cemetery to see if you can find a headstone for them or other members of there family. There a numerous free sites online with burial and headstone details so you may not even have to visit in person.

We have a dedicated thread which lists many of the burials websites available.

One other website that may be of use is the probate search at the Irish Courts website.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Good overview there Hermy. I have made good use of the Electoral register for Dublin. There is database for Dublin in Pearse Library research room (still closed?). Also the Thoms Street directories and even old phonebooks that they have, can be useful. It can throw up when the person no longer was at that address so narrow down a death. Do County libraries around the country keep such records? I have also checked with neighbours to find out where someone might have moved to. I suppose 1950's are too far back to expect memories to survive. Would the father have gone to England? a lot of emigration there in the 1950's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Got my ancestry results last week, I have some very close know matches; my father's brother, first cousin via his sister and two second cousins via his mother's side. On my mother's side I have a first cousin and a couple second cousins.

My thinking was that having know matches would help identify how others are related via what close matches they also match, however I have matches that don't match to any of my close matches. Is this due to the randomness of the DNA you and others inherit as the generations go on or more likely down to false positives?

You're absolutely right that being able to bucket your matches are really helpful, particularly those second cousins, who can only come from 2 of your great-grandparents' branches.

It depends on the strength of the match whether you will match the same person though.

For example, my brother and I are both tested, and we match all the same close relatives, but a varying levels. Once we get out to 3rd cousins, there's a 20% chance you won't match someone, and that drops to 50% for 4th cousins. So at that distance, my brother and I have some different matches.

I also notice that for some matches we have a wildly different amount, despite the same relationship. E.G. a 3c1r who matches me at 89cM (an identical amount to my mother) and that same person only shares 25cM with my brother. What's happened here is that my brother got more of that chromosome from our Dad, where I got our Mam's.

You only need to worry about false positives under about 20cM, when you might get a match which is identical by state (chance) rather than descent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A single address for a 'Mrs. Baldwin' in an old address book of my great aunt from her time in the US in the 1930s led me (once I had worked out what Mrs. Baldwin's original name was) to find a 2nd great granduncle and some 1st cousins 3 times removed who had upped and went to New Zealand after the death of the man's wife. No descendants from any of them, but great to be able to tie their loose ends off. Six children from that family and no grandchildren.

Mind you, I think our gang have more than balanced things out in that department.

I am guilty of throwing out some old address books, so many family items seemed to have distilled down to me, my father having been an only child/only grandchild/no cousins etc. It is hard to know now what to do with family heritage items. Many things are of value to me because I knew the person and family history research makes some random thing of interest. I try and keep detailed notes on people in my Ancestry family tree (not uploaded). I have a very cluttered 'china' cabinet with odds and sods of things. Perhaps time to write up an inventory and post around but for the moment few of the younger family members are much interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Honestly, even looking up Google Streetview for old addresses relatives lived in while in the US (and knowing the conditions some of them lived in in Ireland on their return) was really interesting.

Yes agree with Streetview being a great resource. Just be mindful of the way house numbers can change down the years. In my case it was South C Road and only when a 85 yr old photo turned taken outside that I realised I had ID'ed the wrong house. On another line, several London addresses are no longer there presumably result of bomb damage.

Sometimes genealogy is the most bizarre thing.

Over Christmas I began reading The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion.

This morning I logged onto Ancestry to check a new DNA match of my father-in-law's.

The home person in the unlinked tree is a first cousin of Ms. Didion!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I had a huge and we'll overdue sigh of relief today.

Myself and a distant Ancestry match worked out our common ancestry and broke down a long standing brick wall! My family tree now has an additional set of great grandparents!

Advertisement