Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Good morning!!!

We bought a lovely fibre optic Christmas tree on amazon and it's coming next Monday!!!! Can't wait to put it up next week!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any chance you'd share the link, and your review when it arrives?

Considering a tree upgrade, bit not sure where to start..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

@jellybear I hope your little man is on the mend soon, exciting times for you and your family xx

tackling some of the kitchen presses today to make room for all the Christmas goodies,

Hoping to do my tree the end of the week/weekend can’t wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anyone know where I can get a snow globe with an automatic blower? One that requires no shaking for the snowing effect

Just tackled that one drawer you that everyone has in their home 😂 my OH said you know exactly what’s in it and where … anyway Ive a fair amount of batteries in stock but you know yourself I will probably need more I knew I had ribbons bows etc in it too but I am just super excited because I know I am going to be using them soon

my kit for basting the Turkey too all in there that I found from Dunnes one of the years with my notebook for timings on cooking the Turkey

In other news Jervis Santa is bookings again this year we went there last year and we were happy bambino was only 9 months then

Hows everyone’s Monday ?

very sad about Vicky Phelan may she rest in peace

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A belated happy birthday to you @freshpopcorn !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We made a decision over the weekend that we're not going to bother with the external lights this year seeing as we'll be away for the Christmas holidays.

Makes sense as if anything went wrong there'd be no one around to fix it and might make it obvious there's no one home!

Will still go the full hog internally though, no chance of that changing!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes!

• Advertisement

25% off F&F kids clothing Tesco might be handy if you need festive clothes for any little ones not sure if it’s in adults but definitely children

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tesco's kid clothes have been great this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Happy 30th Birthday @freshpopcorn !! Hope you had a super weekend :D

Another vote for mince pies!! In fact I make them every year ;) when wee monkeys came on scene, I got into the habit of making them in advance and throwing them in the freezer then ready to be baked on Christmas Eve.

Did anyone notice the prices on trees in homebase this year?? :O Never saw prices so high, suppose they're allowing for half price promo!

Finally got our new mantlepiece up over the weekend and I made a start on painting in living room last night, pressure is on to get it finished this week before I head off to Belfast this weekend- first day of Christmas markets! :D Don't want to have any more DIY stuff to do next week so I can focus on putting decorations up :D can't do it all on one day with wee monkeys! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hard not to be frustrated with this, my heart goes out to all the kids who wanted to see him

Tempted now to request a refund and go to Rod Stewart on Friday night instead (I know it would cost more but much better value tbf)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Half way through November already, it's just flying by Joe, scandelous altogether 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yep and no chance of things slowing down at this stage. Am just embracing it now and going with the flow!

• Advertisement

i'm soooooo ready for november to be over

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

My god- the Simpsons are even older than freshpopcorn 😀

Happy Birthday

Few bits going up around Waterford for Winterval

• Advertisement

hmmmm its been a while since i've been to waterford. maybe its time for a visit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lights on in Dublin 1 🙂

There not having a turning on the lights ceremony here in cork for Christmas because of crowd concerns. It kinda sucks because it would cheer the city up

You'd think after the last few years where covid prevented crowds gathering they'd have something now when it's back to normal

Parade in Waterford Friday night to open Winterval

Lord we need cheering up- I know reduced consumption of electricity is an issue right now but for public display, nothing that couldn't be sorted by a bit of clever marketing and a genuine homeless charity for online/in person donations- it's the little things that make the difference at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Geez, they were happy enough to host the big rugby match last week - didn't seem too worried about those crowds. Crazy decision not to make an event of turning on the lights, people have enough crap going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Happy birthday @freshpopcorn

Biting the bullet next week to get some minor electrical works done in the house and also getting the external socket upgraded to a proper waterproof two gang socket so we can put up some external lights this year. Any recommendations for external lights to hang on the gutters and where to get them? Torn between the "dripping" icicles or the plain yellow lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'm on to you @DvB , you're setting out post by post the plot to Christmas with the Kranks. Bot decorating outside as you are going on holidays over Christmas. 'Bring back frosty!!'

Ha Ha, nice try!!

To be fair Jude, being away from before dawn Christmas Eve until the morning of Jan 7th means we'd have our external stuff set up & not lit for an extended period of time which is a bit of a giveaway there's nobody home. Our estate had a number of break in's a few years ago over the Christmas holidays and we're doing everything we can to make the house safe for whilst we're away. Then there's the weather too, any kind of heavy wind tends to blow reindeers & snowmen over which we'd normally fix up the next morning, if it was left for 2 weeks like that its going to look iffy in my opinion. Genuinely not worth the risk of standing out like that.

So whilst I appreciate the similarities (other than myself & the Mrs looking nothing like Jamie Lee Curtis & Tim Allen) unfortunately its an action taken purely for security purposes. I'll miss the external decorations as its part of our Christmas traditions, and having spent a fair few quid on it too over the years don't particularly enjoy that we wont get to use it this year.

Other than the external decor Christmas will still be celebrated in full. All plans are set & good to go for Friday week & decorating day!! I have the day booked off work and the decorations all organised and ready to go in the attic storage (reorganized after the Halloween stuff was being put away) So we'll have a good 4 weeks of our normal interior decorations.

The killer will be taking it all down straight after we get home from the holiday. Thats post holiday & post christmas blues all rolled into one!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Enjoy your cruise, DvB! 😂

How about you just leave Frosty outside on the porch and myself and Jude will put him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I saw the Stoneybatter Christmas lights being put up on my way to work this morning. We're getting closer and closer :)

Just yanking your chain DvB, it all makes sense in a bah humbug type of way.

Coping saw arrived today so I will spent the weekend cutting the antlers for the outside reindeer. I am sure I will mess it up, then bin the wood and not have a finished article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I knew someone was asking for these, but couldn't find the original post. Lidl had them from last Thurs

Without being a bah humbug on this, we had an automatic snowglobe decoration in the sitting room and it was a lovely item it made a blowing/humming noise when on. Had to turn it off as we couldn't watch the telly. 😃

I got a lovely one from BT, and the batteries used to last a max. 2 hours- I ended up just leaving it static!

We have one like that, as soon as you turn it on you can't listen to/hear anything else!

• Advertisement

Just seen a meme about Pam from Gavin and Stacy it’s giving me all the feels to watch the Christmas special might get it on next week while the bambino naps one of the days hopefully I can watch it with my Christmas tree a glow

Temperature has dropped in North County Dublin OH had to defrost car this morning, it’s still a lovely day though, hope to get out for a walk shortly

Seen two Christmas trees on my walk yesterday, I heard Catherine Fluvio on tv yesterday saying this weekend is stir in Sunday regarding the Christmas puds, I can imagine the smell would be divine

I hope everyone’s having a good day and getting through the week ok

Post edited by SarahLil on

Ditto. We stopped putting batteries in our powered snowglobe a couple of years ago because of the racket it made when switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

Bought a frame on Monday for a Christmas scene picture that I cut out of a calendar last year. Opened the wrapping and it was broken on one corner. Brought it back to the shop today and got a replacement. Thought to myself I'll open it in the car before I head home. Got distracted and forgot. And of course when I opened it when I got home it too is broken. I think I'll just get my arty daughter to glue it back together and embellish it with some Christmas ribbon to cover it up instead of going back again.

Annoying however an opportunity to personalise it.

I don't get it. They can manage it for matches, pride, Patrick's Day, etc. I'd say it's a cost thing.

In other news I've the bathroom and hall painted.

i guess so :/ but it would have brought so many people into the city and helped out a lot of shops that need it.

• Advertisement

I totally agree it would be great for business from people buying bits of food to people starting their Christmas shopping.

watched bake off christmas edition this evening and loved every minute of it

Post edited by sunbabe08 on

Two more people I know have put up their tree, my brother came home from work yesterday and his wife had put it up with the kids, she said his face just dropped when he walked in. 😂

I'd say we'll see a few more trees and decorations going up this weekend.

My in-laws arrive this weekend and will leave before Christmas so we may be putting the tree up this weekend. I was at a corporate battle of the bands last night, it went on until 3am. Christamssy hangover.

My brother-in-law has their tree up. Sometimes I think we should go back to a fake tree so can put it up early.

@Jude13 3am!! I've a better chance of getting up at 3am then staying awake till then!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement