Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Good question.

The citizens of Qatar are exceedingly happy with their lot, and there is no clamour for great changes to social laws or government structures.

This is of course because they are exceedingly wealthy. I have read that the average Qataris household (which might comprise of several generations) has an annual income, from state salaries, rents and profits, of about $1m per annum.

Qataris get free education (including university education abroad) free electricity and water, free land to build a house, and a generous state pension. Cars are cheap and eating out (unless you go to top end places) is not expensive. The law permits women can work and drive - though some families will be more conservative. I would say that the majority of Qatari women wear an abaya, but I also know many professional women who do not. The niqab is rarely seen.

It is true that a woman will need the permission of her guardian (usually father or husband) to travel abroad, but as the shop owners and couturiers of London and Paris will attest, they seem to be able to travel freely. Again, I am sure some Qatari guardians are pricks, but you don't need to go to Qatar to find that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Buster197456

I never said i was outraged. I said the world cup in Qatar is a farce. Thats all im not outraged because im not shocked. They should never be hosting it everyone knows that. People know complaining is all a bit late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ok but by that standard then you can point any ccountry hosting it and say its a farce, and why bother with it at all.

Qatar should never have got it every knows it. No history, to small etc. Basically Fifa where bought. However nothing was done at the time. Its all about human rights and LGBTQ now. It should never have been about this from the start. It was never should have been in the picture. Wrong climate, size, history etc. Now people speaking out to late on issues that should never have been on the table as Qatar should have been never considered on basic criteria. The winter world cup is a farce. Why did UEFA not stop it. They could have but im sure they wheels where greased as well. I will be watching. It's on now. Just get on with it. Bet during the world cup we shall hear many reports on Qatar human rights, gay stance etc. Bet we will see alot of footage after the world cup of this as well. Fifa are scum they allowed this farce to go ahead. But at the end of the day money always wins. Saint Beckham taking alot of it. Many artists as well. So don't really care now as its on. But Qatar getting a world cup shows anything can really be bought if you have the right amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jericho2

I'm sick of politics and virtue signalling taking over sports, movies and TV shows. I hate and don't trust any political party, and really don't need to know anyone's sexuality or religious beliefs (or lack there of). All I can do is not par take in discriminating, or slandering anyone. The likes of Hollywood (who have done more than anyone to stereotype races or sexual groups) virtue signalling has turned me away from that filthy industry for good.

As for the WC, much like league football, I'm sure someone will tell me the scores, but i really could care less, as i believe all sports at the highest levels are as predetermined as wwe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thats fair enough - your choice - but why then do you want to go online and tell everyone this (how you couldnt care less)

And at that same time moan about virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

its a storm in a tea cup at the end of the day, plenty of people will rabbit on about human rights blah blah.....but once the games start most will turn on the tv, crack open a beer and enjoy the show, thats what people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

many football fans will do so, the rest of us wont give a fcuk....

No why would that be the case. Are you just arguing for the sake of it. Why would a country like France getting it be a farce in fairness. You actually know what i mean. Qatar should never have got the world cup end off. Many reasons. No history of football, wrong climate, to small a country, not fan freindly etc etc. That's without their human rights stuff and lgbtq stance. France Italy etc have every right to host a world cup. History, stadiums, etc. Qatar getting it is a complete farce. It was bought and that as you know is not right. This is my last post as im getting from your tone your on a wind up mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

That looks as plastic as the world cup they are hosting.

I was reading today cigarettes can be bought but vaping is illegal.

At the end of the day it's a commercial profit motivated business, isn't it? I mean, the guy standing behind the counter selling you the €15 euro glass of beer is probably saying to himself in the back of his mind "I don't think this is really such a good idea that you hand over that amount of money for what I'm selling you". But ultimately his priority is to relieve you of the €15 'cos he's got his own sh1t to deal with.

As long as people are happy to wilfully and knowingly get fleeced and scammed then people like Sepp Blatter will continue living in gigantic mansions licking cocaine out of super model's asses. Everybody complains about it, but relatively few are prepared to what's necessary to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

How old is this thread?

Oh look, someone got outraged 3 weeks before the tournament was due to begin!

Where were you that last 12 years...ffs.

Why should any muslim country play in France after the way Muslims have been marginalised in and by that country.

Why should any Paciific Island team play in France after the enormous damage that country did with its nuclear testing.

Why should any African country play in France after the way African asylum seekers have been treated there.

I am not arguing for the sake of it - I am arguing to show you can put up a moral argument against anything, so why is it that the hordes have descended on Qatar to put the boot in (the only muslim country to ever host the World Cup, despite muslims representing one quarter of the worlds population) and why did they never put the boot into any European country that ever hosted it, or Brazil or USA for that matter.

To your argument:

only countries with 'history' of football should get it - Hello USA 94, or South Africa, or South Korea. This is a really pompous argument - its a World Cup FFS. And even to your point - why is football a global sport ? Because Colonial Nations brought it around the World. One of the few good things they did while on their trail of destruction. And now the likes of yourself saying that same Colonial Nations - France, England, Italy - are the real football nations, with their history of football? That stinks.

doesnt have the right climate - really? In USA 94 Ireland played in near 40 degree heat - forecast for Qatar is high 20s.

My point is not to defend Qatar, but to point out the enormous double standards in some of the arguments against it.

As for your comment on 'wind up mission' - attack the post and not the poster, and all that. I've said from the outset that I wasnt trying to defend the Qatar, but that I was fed up of the hypocrisy of the attacks on this World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Your points are, to be blunt, nonsense.

1. No history? Isn’t that one of the points of being given a World Cup? To build profile, build up football etc.
    2. Too small? Small countries can’t have a sporting event? Fcuking hell. More straw-clutching than Worzel having a peddle.
    3. Wrong climate? Again, nonsense. It’s the WORLD cup, not the mild weathered cup.
    4. Why didn’t UEFA stop it? What an absolutely pathetic Eurocentric view of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lads is it me or is the build up to this World Cup totally lacklustre and almost jaded before it even starts??

When I compare to the likes of

Mexico 86

Italia 90

there is hardly any hype or interest in this. All a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

People were concentrating on the league until Sunday. There hasn’t been a chance to build up. Normally there’s a month and a few friendlies in the build up and no other football to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

The anger and disbelief started in 2010. The sports washing disease from the Emirates and Qatar has spread even further than most could imagine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Is there any chance we could have a thread that is just about the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Having an issue with a country that has abused migrants in getting ready for an event and for having criminalized lgbt people isn't virtue signalling. People are rightly pissed off that the WC is tainted.

some absolute headers on this thread, and history is against you lot.

• Advertisement

jesus so that makes this act ok so?

you keep ignoring the fact it IS ILLEGAL. thats the **** point. it matters, its not some **** semantics here.

well yeah you silly melt, 6500 deaths building stadiums etc does seem high. hence why the debate around this is happening. didn't know i had to work in the CSO to be able to take issue with a huge number of excess deaths.

you're still ignoring the facts here. and why do you keep lying or at least taking whatever Qatar is telling you as gospel? The figures are not available from Qatar which is what has made it so difficult. they say 37 people died during construction. bullshit.

you're taking this condescending tone yet you're full of shite. and you're acting as if opinions like mine are outliers. so the NGOs, governments, and numerous journalists using the stats of the countries involved are all wrong are they? or you know better. cause right you live there, and you know every aspect of Qatari life etc. just like every Irish person living in Ireland knows all about IReland.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/les-decodeurs/article/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-the-difficulty-with-estimating-the-number-of-deaths-on-qatar-construction-sites_6004375_8.html

its actually hilarious really. conflating deaths in UK with Qatari deaths, some of which have sparked investigations and queries. why would deaths in the UK warrant an investigation. there's numerous reports of men working in the high summer heat dying etc. please point me to the part of the UK this happens. Point me to the labor camps, and the workers not getting paid etc.

anyway you're one of 2000 Irish plebs working in a state that criminalizes homosexuality, has verified human rights abuses, an unelected head of state/ruling family and you do it basically for money. i wouldn't be getting on your high horse here.

you've basically whatabouted and victimblamed a man who saids he was raped by Qatar police. you use anecdotal evidence to basically justify Qatari laws etc.

nobody would be saying anything in the normal scheme of things (alot of us already despise these undemocratic backward nations) except you know there's a WC going on. and as Klopp said the indignation should have happened at the time. so the World has taken interest. its why there is such conflict today. Look at Russia and the language around the west, wokeness, liberalism etc. its a clash of civilisation. you've made your bed there, fair play. hopefully it brings Qatar around to our side. if not i'd gladly fight the likes of you or your qatari brethern on a field of battle in any looming strife.

Post edited by starkid on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does that include the gay population of Qatar? Or are you of the impression that there aren't any?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,714 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Utterly pathetic attempt at deflection and whataboutery.

Legal recognition of same-sex marriage is a very recent development in almost all countries where it's recognised. Only seven years ago Ireland wouldn't have been on that diagram. That didn't mean we were the same in 2015 as Qatar is today in terms of LGBT rights however, what an utterly ridiculous comparison to attempt to make.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

no no, he has gay friends. so he knows everything that goes on. its not an impression its a lived experience.

he knows more than the NGOS, journalists, governments cause he lives there. Sure whats it matter if its illegal, he has gay friends. SO what if females need gaurdians etc. everyone is happy. he knows, cause he lives there.

the same way i know how gay people feel in Dublin cause i have gay friends, and how because most of us live in Ireland we know everything that goes on in IReland. and can vouch and speak for all prejudices here.

I've been to Qatar a couple of times and it is a nice place (especially at this time of year). Particualrly enjoyed the Museum of Islamic Art and the Souq Wakif. But it gets a bit boring after a few days as most conservative places do. It certainly didn't seem to have any restrictions but then - as I said - I didn't ask about the gay bars or alternative and underground hangouts.

If you want to host a world event you have to be open to be inclusive - and that means catering for everyone, even those you don't agree with. And that's not a political attribute, that's a cultrual one. I know many conservatives who are open to alternative liberal groups even if it's not what they want to do. If you're NOT open to being inclusive - and Qatar for it's many qualities is NOT inclusive - then I don't think they should be hosting an event of this size.

The culture - and i mean this on a personal level as well as a national level - will tell you more about a group than their politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I would definitely believe someone living in Dublin ahead of a journalist trying to sell a story.

Using the 6500 figure seems disingenuous. The figure given by Qatar of 3-5 deaths due to stadium construction is clearly crap. The truth lies somewhere in the middle but noone knows where.

I don't think Qatar should have got it as the place is just too small.

I don't mind that they don't have a history, USA didn't really in 1994 either. I'd prefer it in a small country (but Qatar is just too small) than somewhere like the US where a team might have to play games in florida and seattle which are completely different climates. And travel. Between games becomes too expensive for fans. Somewhere like Netherlands and Belgium hosting is perfect.

I actually don't mind that it's moved and screws up the European leagues a bit. Shows that's its a world cup rather than Europe being the only important leagues.

The LGBT angle is hard to deal with. If you ban Muslim countries from hosting due to their laws then where do you stop. Do Fifa pick and choose what laws they find acceptable?

I'm torn on this as its good to see it outside a traditional country, good to see it in a Muslim country, but Qatar is too small and their human rights record is too dubious to think they should have it.

the guardian aren't trying to sell stories. its non profit organisation. one of the last big papers that funds investigative journalism. its not the **** sun or something, don't be Trump like.

so you'd take my opinion on say Irish corporation tax over say an investigative journalist from The Economist. or that i could vouch for how gay and LGBT people fare in Dublin over actual lived experience. just cause one lives in a country does not make them experts on all matters. i know we Irish like to think it does, but thats just one of our idiosyncrasies.

I don't care about its size, or history or whatever. I care about human rights abuses, labor laws and LGBT rights. thats it.

as i said yes, you do stop Muslim countries from hosting World Cups due to their laws. over 65 per cent of the World has legalised homosexuality. anyone who hasn't is barbaric and backwards. And many people did criticize Russia as well. the two World Cups will be remembered together in an example of corruption and backhanders and stupidity. there is also realpolitik involved here, particularly with Russia. but it didn't work. Will it work in Qatar? well they have brought some reforms about. if thats the result of modernise these backward places then many of us will ok fair enough.

and thats what i was talking about around the woke angle and Islam. Some of the most woke people on earth would say that is Islamaphobia. Even Qatar tried to play that angle. its why the likes of Dawkins, Hitchens etc have been deplatformed. As an atheist i despise all religion equally and hold it in contempt. however the religion of peace is worse than most, given its laws around women and LGBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If these oil dicatorships want to increase their image and exposure to the world and be accepted, its very simple. Adopt western values and human rights.

I listened to a podcast earlier about gay people in Qatar speaking about their lives, its stone age, harrowing stuff.

• Advertisement

Size is an issue though - and this is like holding a wrold cup in Leinster. There's already been the issue of not having enough hotel rooms in the country and people paying massively over the odds for a tent or a room on a cruise ship, and I'm not sure how they're going to organse transport when the population of the country jumps by about 30% in a week.

Advertisement