Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Processors insist on QA and then insult us with a bonus...... Our producer group insists on QA---

Dept are going to insist on it in the new beef schemes now, we were warned at the CAP meeting last night not to let it lapse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It's hard to get cattle into the factory without QA and in reality it's not that big of an issue. Every auditor needs to find 1 or 2 things to put you down on they can't be giving out 100% all over the place. Had a real sound lad here one time and he more or less said to me give 1 thing that isn't right that I can dock you marks on. Told him there is no record for any cat medication, so he was happy out. I see in the Mart even forward FR stores are making about 20 cent / kg if they are QA.. think its for the Northern market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

QA is becoming more of a selling point for forward stores. A man that buys locally for a factory feed lot told me recently he got strict instructions to not send them anything out of a non QA herd. He'd have other jobs for non QA stock but at a different price of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone have a subscription for The Currency?

Seems Justin McCarthy leaving the IFJ has a backstory: https://thecurrency.news/articles/101855/fighting-over-the-farm-an-ill-fated-dairy-farm-and-a-departing-irish-farmers-journal-editor/

"When the Bellair Estate in Offaly came on the market late last year with an asking price of over €5 million, the Irish Farmers’ Journal said it was a “wonder to behold”. It noted that the 345-acre farm had a commercial dairy operation, plus a “stunning” and “exquisite” period house with an indoor swimming pool. It was “an uncommon combination of assets”, the Journal reckoned.

Journalists at the newspaper might never have guessed that their own boss might think the Journal should buy it. Yet the purchase of Bellair Estate, to be used as a research farm and the newspaper’s…"

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Must've thrown the toy's out of the pram.

A journalist told us last night justin is still CEO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It seems to say individual asset transfers aren't included, and gives an example where one nephew got land and the other got machinery. The land would count as business relief and machinery wouldn't.

So I think it sounds that if say, machinery was transferred to a member of family, if the value added to over 10% it would count as business relief but if it was valued at less than 10% of the total business, it wouldn't.

Example Business Relief Allowed

Under his will a deceased farmer left all of his farmland to one particular nephew and left his farm implements and machinery to another nephew. The farmland comprised 268 acres and was valued at €207,000.

The farm implements and machinery, which were old and largely obsolete, were valued at €2,000. The nephew who inherited the farmland was not previously a farmer. On inheriting the farmland he started to farm the land.

The question to be determined is whether the nephew who inherited the farmland had inherited property consisting of a business or interest in a business which qualified for business relief or whether he had merely inherited an individual asset (farmland) used in the business which did not qualify for business relief.

On these facts, the nephew who inherited the farmland should not be refused Business Relief because the farm implements and machinery (valued at less than 10% of the value of the land) were not transferred with the land. The nephew who inherited the farm implements and machinery is not entitled to Business Relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

If you’re married - then wouldn’t it be half of everything (house + cash) would be used as the comparison against the farm value.

I don’t know the rules around it - but could you transfer some of the farm now. Transfer enough to come under the ag relief rules. Then, in time, transfer the rest - would the value of the bit transferred now work to your advantage in the calculations in years to come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I never worry about minor issues in the QA. Usually hit mid/ high eighties. Arriving at the gate the first thing he misses seeing is the QA sign. He arrives in the yard with a smile. He is happy he is marking down from 99%.

I will have my medicines and feed book up to date, herd register right etc.

Best I heard was an ag college who went to extreme lenghts. Everything was perfect. A cat ran accross the yard and the inspector mentioned ''she helps with the rats I suppose''.

The herd manager replied ''yes'' and the Inspector looks for a vaccination record, Got ya 99%.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I saw a meteorite/shooting star tonight on the way home from work. I don't remember every seeing one before, apparently there's lots of them about tonight if you keep you're eye's skywards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Passed with 96 here. Grand job says I. A couple of weeks later got a text and letter saying that some of the pom prescriptions weren't fully completed.

Some a hole at hq checking the pics he took, went through them and failed.

Had to get the vets office to make out new copies showing the missing info and upload them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I am an ulsterbank customer, I went to bank of ireland yesterday to suss out some stuff. The woman who was there as customer service was a total dragon. You knew everyone's business as you were waiting in the queue. So much for gdpr. Put me right off moving to them. Elderly woman in front of me left nearly crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s very few good staff in banks any more. 30 plus years ago it was seen as a big achievement and a matter of pride to have a family member working in a bank and the majority of bank staff would have been intelligent and hard working people.

Over the last 10 or so years, based on my own experiences with 3 different banks, I firmly believe the only qualification you need to work in a bank nowadays is that your IQ has to be in single digits. Any higher than that and you’re over qualified so you don’t get the job. It’s the only reason I can come to for the very poor quality of bank staff now.

Tbh I always found the staff out front on ulsterbank 100% first impressions weren't very good yesterday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I saw one woman in BOI being amazed that she could lodge a cheque in the ATM outside the bank. I suppose Ulster bank made the decision years ago to pull out and from that day on never upgraded anything.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

I always found Ulster bank the best too.

Their website and app is by far the best of the major banks too.

Ye , it's a shame they're leaving. Find the Internet banking really good. Account manager is 💯 too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Keep your eyes open and think back over last 48 hrs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Empty spray cans have to be triple rinsed crushed and a hole drilled in them.

Is that in your guidance docs? Did she ask where you have to put the rinse water afterwards?

I think @Bass Reeves has the right approach. I presume there is no subgrades of QA - you either pass or not. So, there is no point trying to get full marks when the lad down the road doing the minimum is getting the same benefit as yourself.

I wonder what the inspector would have said if the hard manager said it was the neighbours cat?

Local man was just finishing his bird bia inspection and they were chatting in the potato store. A load of starlings flew in and he failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's a horrible thing to happen to any farmer and I hope this farmer gets them back.

We had two good FR year and a half old bulls stolen from a outfarm during the late Summer 10 years ago. Whoever stole them knew what they were at as they were by far the best out of a bunch of 27 - they were British FR types. We reported it to the Garda and Dept at the time but nothing ever came of it other than the Dept removed them from the herd pending investigation. The Guards advised us to move them home which we did. A few months later the dogs went mad barking at about 4 in the morning, we got dressed and ran to the yard (with both shotguns) and found 6 bulls separated into a pen that we use for loading. We reported it to the Guards at the time and a Garda came the next morning. Our house and yard is in the middle of the farm with only one entrance and you have to drive past the house to get to the yard so we would hear any vehicle driving past. The Guard reckoned that they would walk the bulls along the lane to a jeep&trailer/lorry at the head of the lane to load them.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/almost-600-cattle-reported-stolen-or-missing-so-far-this-year-714892

Would Fr heifers not be hotter to handle than beef cattle or are they all going to dodgy meat?

Big dogs like our Rottweilers are good when people drive into the yard but you can't beat a yappy mongrel terrier that hears the grass growing - they set off the larger dogs.

We reckon that our cattle ended up somewhere like this - https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1111/486055-carcasses-louth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

I wonder does the Dept keep the DNA code for cattle via their BVD tissue sample. It would be a great way of identifying stolen animals if they were found elsewhere with different tags.

Advertisement