Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

Toll bridge might start making a few quid off the Sallypark side..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

The problem of traffic congestion on the Quays is because the issue of there only being one bridge in the city has never been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Valhalla90

They should be planning for a bridge also at Reginalds Tower across to Ferrybank!

Ironic, only posted something related to this earlier. Definitely needs to happen, still far too much throw traffic going through the city. How the Dept of Transport and Council can talk about a more cycling and pedestrian city while maintaining a tolled bypass forcing cars through the city is beyond me. It is speaking out of both sides of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

whats that big thing upstream with the upside down Y at one end called…?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Unfortunately I think this is just a publicity stunt for cllr Roche. Her, along with the rest of the council, know it is almost impossible to do and that was explained to them by Fergus Galvin in a meeting a couple of months ago. Only way for this to happen is for either TII or Waterford Council to buy out Celtic Roads who own the toll. Really can't see TII doing this given the backlash that the government would get if a public entity bought out this toll and not the M50 toll, and Waterford Council don't have the money to do it. No way Celtic Roads will agree to moving the toll anywhere else as the road is already loss making for them and they'd collect far less money if it was anywhere else on that road.

It would be great to see happening, but I think its impossible and Mary knows this.

What exactly is/was Mary Roche suggesting/proposing/asking council to do……? Removal of the toll by the council or TII buying it out…..?

She was asking either Eamon Ryan & TII to buy it out or for Waterford Council to buy it out themselves. It would be a multi-million euro buy out though for the sake of moving traffic from one part of the city to another.

An interesting proposal I saw on Twitter was for the Government to agree a 'shadow toll' with Celtic Roads where the toll booth is removed from the road and the Government agree to make a payment to Celtic Roads every year based on the average number of cars on the road, I think this is what they've agreed to do on the New Ross Bypass. It would still cost millions over the remaining life of the toll contract but would avoid the multi million euro cash spend up front.

Not a fan of Mary Roche TBH. But in this case I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect the toll to be bought out by whoever is responsible. And it is possible. It is not so long ago the government was spending tens of millions on an art house cinema for Galway. They can sort our problem out so. As I said, can’t talk about a more cycling and pedestrian friendly city while maintaining a tolled bypass forcing cars through the city. It all follows what the government is talking about these days and international examples. These are of course bigger scales but same principle applies, get the cars out of the city.

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2022/05/31/eight-completed-highway-removals-tell-story-movement

It was absurd tolling it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think Waterford people are fortunate they aren't paying more tolls. On a trip from Dublin to Galway over the weekend I had to pay three on the way there and three on the way back.

Love that article linked above BBM. I think a lot of people are expecting that if the toll is removed, 2 lane traffic on Dock Road and Rice Bridge will remain also. If the toll does get removed we need assurances from Councillors and the Council Executive that Dock Road & Rice Bridge will be reduced to one lane of traffic and a bi-directional cycle lane and bus lane is installed in line with the new WMATS.

To tie this back to the thread title, we can't wait for the North Quays infra & new bridge, need to do something now.

This looks like a really half assed proposal from a local Councillor. I'm sure the individual means well, but quotes like the one below reek of amateurism.

"While I don't have any proof of it, I would argue that if you knocked on the windows of every car going down the Quay, and asked them where they were going, I would say 70-80% of them are not stopping in the city."

Personally, I wouldn't use the road if the toll was removed, not in the near future anyway. It's a bypass of Waterford rather than a ring road, and is catered to those who don't want to go through Waterford on their way to somewhere else.

Instead of throwing submissions into the Minister for Transport, they'd be better off doing their job and working with the Council to conduct research to help identify the issues and potential solutions to problems.

Perhaps a park and ride facility on the approaches from Ferrybank and Sallypark would be a suitable pilot project to help take some pressure off the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Time to escalate calls for a downriver bridge which is included as an aspiration in City Development plans, either Maypark - Newtown/Kilculliheen or further down at Faithlegg - Gorteens. Forget about putting it at Reginald's Tower - North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Why not toll through-traffic in the city? A kind of congestion charge.

Waterford City residents can get a permit, but anyone else snapped going in one side of the city and leaving the City on another side would have to pay a toll that is either the same value or slightly above what is on the Maher bridge.

This would have to be done in such a way as to not penalise people for going into the City to shop / spend money but I think would be achievable. More acheivable than buying out Celtic Roads.

This is part of the problem. The Waterford Area Metropolitan Strategy is against building a new down stream bridge. The idea is to make it hard to drive through the city so that people will use the bypass. Same thinking was behind the changes made to The Quays. But people won’t use the bypass because it is tolled. The Quay is being used as a tool to force people onto a tolled road. The logic is literally all over the place on this issue and the city is stuck with pointless and unnecessary traffic volumes. To my mind it is just arsing around.

I've long felt that this could be a real game changer.

Unclear as to the engineering challenges and the most cost effective option, but I'd like to see something coming across the River Barrow somewhere between Minaun and Passage. That would link up parts of South Wexford which are currently quite isolated, and it'd also give a fairly straight run between Wexford town and places like Ardkeen Hospital, the Airport and the industrial estates on the Cork Road.

Another option is to continue the road from Belview across to Faithlegg and also linking it up with the Outer Ring Road.

These are ambitious future projects that could drive further growth in a functioning south east economic area, and might be a better use of time than asking for a toll to be scrapped.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The logic isn't all over the place,

Its about removing cars out of the city centre when they don't need to be there. Sadly some people are so dense that they'd rather waste loads of time sitting in traffic and waste fuel idling their vehicle then spend 2e on the toll and save buckets of time.

Cars passing through the city via the quays don't add any life to the city, they ultimately kill the city. This applys to Waterford or any other city.

Opening back up lanes on the quays like some have suggested will only create induced demand and will not solve the problem. Instead the longer term goal is to encourage more public transport and cycling within the city if you have to be in the city centre and if you don't have business in the city centre then you should take the bypass to either totally bypass the city or the access to outskirts.

I'd agree that this proposal put forward by the councillor is very much half arsed, its based on feelings rather then hard facts. It's just to get media attention for her profile. Due to the cost of buying out celtic roads I'd say this is a non-runner, the council can't afford it.

So charging people to do the thing you want them to do and leaving it free to do the thing you don’t want them to do is logical? Also, you do get that to use the bypass coming and going to work costs around €500 a year. The logic is certainly all over the place! Also, €2 is for one go only, its disingenuous calling people dense for not taking the bypass option.

I know cars kill a city, did you read what I wrote above?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd be all for a congestion charge but given that hasn't yet happened in Dublin its realistic to say such a thing happening is a long, long way off in Waterford.

Reality is if you want to do the free thing then be prepared to sit in traffic, thats the decision people make and the council know this.

People have the option to spent the 2e and get quicker to their destination or sit 10-15min in traffic, if they choose to sit in traffic then its clear they don't really value their time that much. I would call some people dense, especially those with new cars worth 30, 40, 50, 60k who moan about the traffic but refuse to take the bypass because they claim 500e is too much. Got my new car for 20k and I can manage the toll cost just fine.

You'll see further changes happening including more of a push to have more bus and cycle lanes in the city and this will reduce driving lanes even more which makes total sense. The new pedestrian bridge will also open the ferrybank area much more and may the quays a much more walkable and cyclable destination for people which will reduce cars use further.

The bypass was a massive infrastructure project and people under use it, so it's interesting to see people push for a third bridge when the second bridge isn't even used much. It's a hard sell to justify a third bridge in the area (yes I know the pedestrian bridge would technically be the third bridge but I'm referring to road bridges).

• Advertisement

“Reality is if you want to do the free thing then be prepared to sit in traffic, thats the decision people make and the council know this.”

Precisely, the Quay as it currently stands is a tool to force traffic on to the bypass. And in that lies the problem. The Quays are not designed to be a city street friendly to pedestrians and cyclist. It is part of an integrated plan to force traffic on to the bypass. And that is the way it will stay until the toll is removed, the city stops being a through road and people start to seeing the city centre a living area not as a parking lot.

Think the best option would be to trial the bypass as toll free for a few months.

Post edited by BBM77 on

To be fair the quay's were never designed for cars and HGV's either 😃 Nobody could have imagined such monstrous things moving down the quays at speed when they were first created.

Trialing the quays as toll free might be an option or perhaps at a lower cost the toll fee could be subsidised down by 1e with the motorist paying the remaining 1e. After all is it fair that non-motorists subsidies somebody else's decision to have a car? Roads, parking spots etc are already subsidised by non-drivers to a massive degree.

Still, I would question the removal of the toll or reduction and would see it as a poor use of tax payer money. It would be better to plow that money into improving public transport links and just rolling out the better bus lanes as this would enable public transport to flow more freely along with more public transport options which would inturn encourage more people out of cars. This could benefit everyone rather then those that decide to own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

There's not much advantage for people living in Ferrybank to use the toll bridge. You might save 5 minutes by travelling twice the distance.

The toll bridge and bypass is for non-destination traffic ie those not wishing to stop or do business in the ‘city’….one idea I heard recently also was that the current owners/operators of the toll bridge and bypass ‘cell-tick’ roads group do a swop with the council and put the toll on the existing Rice bridge……this would also act as a ‘congestion’ charge…..or even do a trial for a period of one year and see what would happen the traffic numbers using the bypass……most likely the bypass bridge if toll feee would see a doubling if not trebling in trip no’s but the complaints and moaning by the public wound be unimaginable…….maybe the best solution as mentioned above would be to adapt the New Ross bypass model…..?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

The traffic in the morning from the toll bridge regularly stretches up from the Cork road or beyond to near the toll bridge

Exactly my point that you'd be paying millions to move traffic from one part of the city to another. Modal shift and reducing the number of cars on the road is the only game in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Ironically nobody sees that because the clowns commenting on this thread or Mary Roche obviously don't use it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I wouldn't call it 'forcing cars through the city' but something badly needs to be done about it!

Luckily enough I don't have to use the toll bridge but I see the traffic in town & wonder

wouldn't it be a lot easier using it than sitting in the traffic? What does it cost in fuel?

It's a sickness in the irish mentality. A reluctance or unwillingness to pay for things.

Thats my point, between the fuel costs of idling a car for so long and also the wasted time and frustration it seems a strange mentality to do it instead of paying 2e,

• Advertisement

Getting back to main topic as opposed to discussing toll bridge etc…..when can we expect to see major construction activity now that it appears all the ‘ducks are in a row’….will we be still waiting for first tower crane to appear this time next year…?

Advertisement