Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What unpopular food opinion do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Add a little concentrated mint sauce... A regular meal for me.. mushy or processed... oh and grated cheese..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Marrowfat peas - literally the only food I would never eat again. I'd rather eat a kangaroo's sphincter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

French cuisine is overrated. Snobbery at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have you tried what you suggested? Please post here! Not quite sure what it is and must be very rare end expensive

LOVE big fat tasty tinned peas ie marrowfat. A meal in themselves or add eg stock and sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped mint for a tasty hot lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would agree with you - even as a Vegetarian! 😅

I love peas, but marrowfat are vile. I call them Zombie peas. I'm sure they used to be alive and happy at some point, but all that's left of that now is rotting corpses, disintegrating in green slime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I love marrowfat peas - but the soak kind, not the tinned kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Graces7 I'm surprised that you don't know that a sphincter is an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Raven1221

Poultry before it happens. But poultry of a good restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not so much real French cookery as you can get a lot of countrystyle French cooking that would feed a herd of hardworking people!

My issue is restaurants and hotels serving so called haute cuisine.. tiny stacks of meat or fish with vegetables and sauces refined to a few drizzles, squiggles or drops on the plate with added sugar and salt in them , and you have to add a shed load of side dishes or go hungry :( Oh and a few well placed leaves or flowers of questionable nutritional value!

Absolutely lethal, unhealthy food that benefits noone except extreme foodies or the owners of these restaurants who are coining it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't appreciate fine dining so no one should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Fine Dining = you need a good plate of beans on toast before going out for a meal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Says someone who's never eaten a 12 course tasting menu, I suspect.

I disagree with both of your posts here.

Where did I say I don't appreciate "fine dining"?

Its the definition of same I think we have an issue with here.

Fine dining is well cooked food i, enhanced by its preparation and ingredients, but what that preparation and ingredients are or should be is very subjective as is seen by the myriad answers on the thread here. So no one definition really .

That above about little stacks of food and excessively tweaked ingredients is my own personal opinion.

Why do I disagree with your carefully placed but a little incorrect answer...?

First you assume my expressed opinion is somehow telling others that they have to agree.. Where have I said that? Why would you say this at all? Just because you don't agree? If so say so. No need to be bitter about it, we are not reinventing the wheel here!

I am entitled to my opinion about what I think is healthy and can be legitimately called food without you having a pop at me. All sorts of replies on the thread here , discussing all types of food so need to get triggered .

That is the premise of the thread after all.

And how do you know that anyone including Tye Continental OP , has not sampled a tasting menu? And if not, does that preclude them from having an opinion?

If somebody wants chip butties with maple syrup that is their prerogative. Nobody is telling you you have to , you know .

Is the thread not about "unpopular food opinions"?

Why be so against other posters having a perfectly reasonable response to the op?

Or are your responses the only one that are valid?

Bad case of food snobbery, methinks.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Chip butties with maple syrup (and bacon) sounds pretty good to me right now :)

Have had them with maple syrup rashes, yum :)

Sweet, and savoury, the best!

I don't like sweet things at all, so need savoury/salt with the sugar... Unpopular opinion?

I agree with you . Am a sucker for sweet / salty combo .

Have to be careful with sugar, but doesn't mean I haven't a sweet tooth . Just have to count it so need to know where it is .

I don't mind sweet , salty or unhealthy food as long as I know it for what it is so I can choose whether to eat it or not .

But it might still be an unpopular opinion , who knows 😁

Gotta be careful in case someone thinks we are trying to convert them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Pasta is the lazy man’s food. Completely over rated and pasta dishes are over priced for what they are.

Italian restaurants charging €17+ for pasta with pesto LOL, codders. And they are so busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Steak with chips or any type of potatoes is a waste. Other carbs like mac and cheese are also verboten and should never be entertained.

A steak should only be served with mushroom, onion, fried tomatoes, sweetcorn and if you must a nice sauce. Maybe a side salad. Possibly some *roasted* (not boiled/steamed) veg like broccoli and carrots but even that is a stretch.

Any potato (chips, mash or the dreaded gratin) with a decent steak is just filler and adds nothing to the dish

• Advertisement

Actual fine dining is extremely satisfying and worth every penny. Pretend fine dining is an excuse to charge more money for less food. There is a massive difference in the two

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

Sweetcorn with steak, having a laugh there. Fried tomatoe is debatable also.

We need to know your issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just give me the chips. You can keep the steak.

The steak (medium rare for me but I'm not a "doneness" snob) is the centrepiece, the ultimate meat. The tomatoes add acidity and juicyness, (should be cherry tomatoes, unsliced, I forgot to specify that). The sweetcorn adds sweetness, the mushrooms and onions are for flavour. It's a very balanced flavour profile

But ultimately its not only about the flavour but the textures, you have a great mix of textures in the meat, juicy tomatoes, crunchy sweetcorn, mushroomy mushrooms (?) and tender but firm onions

Its a symphony of flavours and textures. The potatoes/chips add nothing but stodge - all filler and no killer

What cut steak are you using if you are depending on a onion and a few mushrooms for taste?

This is not looking good.

Sure thats like saying why do you need a brass section in an orchestra or an anaesthetist in a surgical team.

I think you've been brainwashed by Big Potato tbh, you need to learn how to think outside the boxty

Go back now and read my posts I never once mentioned potatoes as an essential with steak.

It’s yourself that is brainwashed, wake up and read what people are posting. I’d suggest you log off, take the last sip of sherry and go to bed.

Its a car crash for you, game over ball burst.

You sound like a man who has just had every assumption you ever had about a steak dinner completely dismantled. You are watching your steak-game crumble before your eyes.

I appreciate it may be confusing and difficult to understand at this point but you need to stop fighting and embrace it.

Stop the bus I’m getting off. Enjoy your dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I like the flavour of a decent spud whether that be boiled, steamed, mashed, mashed and fried, chipped or baked - I'm starting to feel thats an unpopular opinion.

What might be unpopular is I hate most traditionally Irish spuds nearly all the flower ones have no taste whatsoever. Rooster is just about OK (not an old variety any) but there are lots of better ones around. The potatoes we get from Cyprus and Egypt each year are just wonderful.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement