Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Gender discrimination for jobs can be ok.

Women should never be bus drivers. Men should never be Gynecologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The Qatari Government and the laws they impose in relation to human rights, women, LGBT, migrant workers is well known. A journalist interviewed on Newstalk on Monday told a harrowing story of a woman who was raped going to the police to make a complaint, she was arrested herself for having sex outside marriage.

To dismiss their laws and say “if you don’t like them, don’t go” isn’t controversial, it is ignorant. If it is racist or bigoted to call that out, to call you out, then I’ll take the hit, gladly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d say this isn’t as unpopular an opinion , moreso people just don’t say it in case the hysterical section of society jump on it. It is easier to keep quiet and let certain sections of society (particularly loud, overly emotional ones) think they are right by not engaging.

Id prefer some male associated roles like James Bond (007) or ghostbusters (for example) were just left male. It’s not that you can’t have female versions, it’s that it’s ok to not switch every f*cking character to female to show how “progressive” you are. It’s not that you can’t have female roles based in these movies, just don’t copy and paste females into male recognised characters/roles.

Give females more lead roles, more strong characters, but create them , don’t just copy and paste them into popular existing ones.

When society is trying to make progressive changes , it pretty much always goes from one extreme to another. Calling somebody Racist or sexist or xenophobic is not just something that is reserved for people who really are hateful anymore , it’s now easy to be branded one just by telling a joke or making a statement of fact.

Look at Klopp being branded racist by a regime who have slaves and a deplorable human rights record, how is that even possible? I could be branded sexist just for saying I want James Bond to remain male, that’s not sexist, it’s just a preference. I’m male and I like the character , I’m allowed to like male characters and want them to remain male, there’s nothing sexist about that.

Oh and white man privelage, f**k off with that sh*te. I’m not rich, I don’t treat people (females or non whites) like serfs , so don’t brand me something I don’t use or abuse. I work hard and have my own unique life struggles that don’t make my life sunshine and lollipops. Nobody cares about my problems or issues , don’t tell me to care about others because “they have it harder”. You don’t know that and saying “well you are white man” means nothing , it’s a pathetic ignorant statement. Might aswell say unless you are a starving child in a poor African country you are privileged and deserve no sympathy and should be grateful and STFU complaining.

It’s pathetic and it’s part of the reason there is a railing against what are intended to be good changes. It’s gone too far, like the nazi police , makes me think of life of Brian parody “all I said was the food was good enough for Jehovah” and your man is stoned to death. People losing their sh*te over language that is not aggressive but subjectively offensive. I’m not talking about people spiting hate and intentionally trying to stoke up anti minority dislike, I’m just talking about general chat that isn’t hate.

I Wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the people professing moral outrage on these platforms are dicks in real like and treat people like sh*t, without any awareness of their behaviour because they are too busy correcting everybody else. It’s always easier to point fingers at others and highlight others flaws while ignoring our own. Like hardcore religious people back in the day lecturing people on what makes a good Catholic while beating their kids/wife or being an awful parent. (street angel , house devils)

Im no angel and not above hypocrisy but I have at least tried to change through a support group and therapy that helps me look at my behaviour to others, instead of constantly focusing on what others are doing wrong. I’d say a fair amount of the posters on boards could do with having a light shun on their own blind spots if they could put the keyboard down for a few minutes and actually reflect on how they treat people.

Before peoples irony detector goes off, I’m not above criticism , I’ve said stupid sh*te (I’ve posted misguided stuff in the past) which is why I said we all find it hard to see our own flaws, it’s just some of us are worse then others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

”incredible sportswoman”. She’s fighting nobodies. It’s the equivalent of Niall Quinn spending his career in the LSL and scoring 5000 goals and claiming he’s Irelands greatest ever footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Given lots of people would never have known one iota about Qatar, holding the world cup there has done more to shine a light on their human rights issues. It has started a debate, it has got people thinking about how they can have an impact (boycotts etc), it has been a focus for activism etc. None of this would be happening if the world cup was in the US or UK

Obviously change in Qatar will have to come from within, but having the worlds eyes on their country has the potential to do more good than harm in the long run. (Not that this was fifas motivation of course)

• Advertisement

Does she not hold every belt in her weight division, who else is left to fight?

If Niall Quinn held every trophy/medal/award possible in football, at the same time, and scored all the goals necessary to win them, I think it’s fair to say he would be recognised as Ireland’s greatest ever footballer, wouldn’t you?

Im struggling to think of another Irish sportsperson who is/was at the top of their sport for such an extended period, maybe Mcillroy, but he hasn’t achieved Taylor’s domination.

How many other Irish sports stars are professionals competing against amateurs??

Who else is left to fight?

Niall Quinn obviously. Throw McIlroy in there too and make it a triple threat match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't really disagree with your opinion here, but I love that you start this post by complaining about loud, overly emotional people, then work yourself into a tantrum about James Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We don't need to hear all the bad news from around the country, a mother gets stabbed to death by her son, a child drowns in a river, a whole family is killed in a car crash. it is sad but I think them kind of stories do more harm than good, people get depressed listening to stories like that, RTE and Newsalk etc spend hours then interviewing people about the tragedies, making people even more depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭con___manx1

9 penalty points and a fine of 5000 if caught on a mobile phone while driving.

If a fatal accident occurs because of phone use a minimum of 5 years in jail.

While driving a few months back had a girl veering towards me. Her head buried in her phone. Slammed on d horn and she Just barley missed me. This happened a few months back. Also had a similar thing happen a good few years ago.

Can just imagine the amount of people that were not so lucky.

I just hope these people go head on into a truck and not into a family with young kids or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The vast majority of people who claim to be offended on the internet aren't actually offended at all it is purely performative.

Persoon, who beat her in the first fight, but for dodgy judges, is a copper when she’s not boxing in her spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

RTE should be privatised and operating out of Ballymun. Donnybrook site should be used 100% for social housing.

She’s only had the 51 pro fights since 2009 and been ranked the worlds best super featherweight, second best light weight and second best pound for pound fighter.

Seems she’s a railway copper in her spare time as her career draws to a close, she is 37.

You can view her record on Boxrec.

You’re opinion isn’t controversial. It’s just plain straight up wrong.

She has to take annual leave to train for fights. Which shows the level of female fighters, she can work full time and still do the above

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-30927923.html

“I had to take my holiday for this fight,” she says. “I always do. I never take vacation for vacations. Every day of vacation is for training, that’s just the way I live.

We are in Belgium where there are no facilities for pro boxing so if you want to train you have to take your vacation time.

“I normally get 32 days per year, but this time I got 55 days and my boss also gave me some extra days.”

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wrong on both counts. Persoon is a professional boxer who Katie beat, not once, but twice!!!

Please see above. She boxes and trains in her spare time/annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

LGBTQ and Woke ideology should be banned from schools.

We shouldnt be killing ourselves to comply to climate change regulation's when countries like china and india completely negate our efforts.

Anybody who uses the word woke should immediately be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The option of too much choice has ruined people's expectations in life. When you're told you can have everything, nothing will satisfy you. Delayed gratification, sacrifice, and a view to long-term success/happiness are being forgotten in the pursuit of the hedonistic you can have it now and you can have all of it mentality.

The long-term implications of that mean a lifetime of transience, never establishing a story in which one can be satisfied on a deep almost spiritual level. Just a succession of experiences in the name of having a YOLO life. When the self-discovery of oneself through discipline, focus, and hardship brings their own deep meaningful experiences. Experiences that will shape you and ultimately reward you.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Woman doesn't have a penis and men can't get pregnant are my two most controversial opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anybody who IS woke, should be immediately shot, twice, one bullet in each temporal lobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

Controversial (and it goes against my own general concerns as I empathize with those strgluggling with accommodation in this climate)

But I've no time for those voluntary "help the homeless" crews. There's absolutely nothing official about them, no scrutiny or accountability. And there's countless ones trying to achieve the same goals, which is surely inefficient.

I'm of the view that for some of these groups, the homeless come last in terms of priority. It's easy enough throw on a hi-vis jacket and hand out tea etc. But it's the who and the why that concerns me.

It was the Jason Reed article that reminded me https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2022/1117/1336791-reed-cab/

Man pays no prsi since 2008 and caught transporting 350k, along with 30k in his own home and whatever jewellery. Yet, there he is with the hi-vis on being a good soul.

Don't get me wrong, many good people do what they can, and I understand that. I can't help but feel that the organisers of these things are the very ones who cause it, and use it to promote themselves. While also tricking the families of the very people they sell to, into giving a (genuine) dig out as their poor Johnny is homeless and they want to help out. And isn't Jason great for organising it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Using China/India/whoever as an excuse to do nothing about climate change is what has us in the unenviable position of being a generation who should apologise to our kids for what we've done. Or haven't bothered our bollix to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

For cultural appropriation or because they sound like a child who has just learned a new word and really likes using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think that people who immediately respond to being challenged in a debate with phrases like 'whataboutery', 'Straw man' or 'gaslighting' should have their access to the forums removed permanently.

• Advertisement

It's the PC brigade I feel sorry for. Everybody seems to have forgotten about them

Advertisement