Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Exactly. Those NZ Sauv blancs are fine if knocking them back but if you actually taste them they're fairly puckering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea got a box

careful though, she tried to charge me full whack!

drank one last night, was grand but you wouldn’t serving it up for Christmas dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Speaking of wine in Supervalu... this is somewhere between a bargain alert and a read the small print notice.

Supervalu (Raheny) had cases of Santa Rita wines 6 for €40, Pinot Grigio and Cabernet Sauvignon.

They are that low price because they are lower alcohol: 9.3% for the Grigio and 8.5% for the Cab Sav.

The red might be better slightly chilled in summer but maybe some intrepid boardsie can give us a review :)

e.g. Santa Rita 120 'Delight' Cabernet Sauvignon 6 Bottle Case

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1839507000

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tesco

Corona Extra 12 x 330ml

€14.50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Just a quick example of an order Im picking up tomorrow. If you search for "alcohol" on the Sainsburys website a checkbox appears to filter for "offers only" so padded out the order with those. 25% off the wine is already applied. When you check out you can then stack the £18 off coupon bringin this order down to £150. Im hoping they do this offer again just before Christmas 🤣.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

Are you able to register for Sainsbury's with an Irish phone number?

Doesn't seem to be allowing me to register for some reason "There was an error and we were unable to submit your request. Please try again."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes ive done it a few times now to get the £18 off code. You choose +353 from the country code list then drop the '0' from your mobile number to enter 9 digits in the input box e.g. 871234567

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

From tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Might be worth a trip For anyone around portlaoise with a blade machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭bassy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Some good deals here on beer and wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

If you have a clubcard,it's fairly drinkable i think?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Lidl doing 4 cans of Beamish for €6.79 from next Thursday.

Never seen a 4 pack below €8 before, and I'm in Cark bai so I see and drink tins of Beamish often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tesco have some good deals on whiskey currently. Got a 1l bottle of jameson for 32 and a bottle of method and madness single grain for 40 earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Franziskaner is €2 a 500ml bottle in Dunnes at the moment, good value compared to UK non mup where LIDL and Tesco are selling 4 for £6 (€1.72 a bottle). Single bottle pricing is more in UK than Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To expand on that... they have until 29th November:

€30 Tullamore Dew Rum Cask, Powers 3 Swallow, Chivas Regal 12

€32 Jameson Black Barrel, Sexton Single Malt

€35 Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Bushmills Single Malt

€36 Johnnie Walker Black, Bulleit Bourbon

€42 Talisker 10yo

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Decent prices, but worth noting that Bulleit is cheaper in Dunnes at 32 at the moment, and Buffalo Trace seems to be 30. Some of the others are more expensive in Dunnes, of course, so it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If I could just get my covid-ravaged sense of smell back I'd be well away 😪 no point spending money on nice whiskeys anymore and it's been over a year now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Thats the worst side effect I've heard of.

On the bright side, does that mean cheap shite smells / tastes the same as the good stuff to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dunnes

Carlsberg or Budweiser

20x300ml bottles e20.36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The cheap stuff tastes kinda the same as it always did, but a big part of the pleasure of drinking a more expensive whiskey for me, and I imagine many others, is taking a good sniff of it before tasting, and also appreciating the smells while tasting. I do have a mid-priced bottle of Black's tucked away for Christmas so I'll see if I get anything more out of that than ordinary Jameson / Powers.

It's a pain but it's far from the worst side effect some people have, I never had any symptoms until one day I realised I hadn't lit the gas hob properly but could barely smell the gas. Got a PCR test and it was negative. That was last October.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lots of dunnes spirits are at MUP, various flavoured absoluts and other vodkas, jack daniels, jameson variants, too many to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

25% off 6 bottles starts again tomorrow in Sainsbury's. Tesco clubcard prices in NI run until tomorrow so probably something coming up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bailey's 70cl currently €10 in Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Anyone been to the UK by ferry in the last while and have any experience of customs to share? The allowances to bring back into Ireland are very small (e.g. only 1 litre of spirits) and just wondering to what extent that's being enforced on the way back. Going out from Dun Laoghaire, not Rosslare, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dun Laoghaire? Hasn't been a ferry from there since roughly 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭con747

Yes, Dublin port. Apologies! Only ever gone before from Rosslare but have booked Stena Dublin to Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes Dublin Port is in the city, and Dun Laoghaire is another place and its port used to compete with Dublin and have ferry services but Stena line pulled out and moved to Dublin.

• Advertisement

I've acknowledged I made a mistake with the port name. If anyone has any answer to the original question, and is not here just to beat me up because I made an error, I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement