Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We were getting so heavily screwed all along that there is only so much increase we can take here. Everyone I know who is a car guy is holding off on buying as it's just nuts now.

UK is a different market and cars were relatively cheap until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Thinking of importing a commercial Pajero from the uk. The UK prices are list ex vat. I assume i have to pay UK VAT at garage, then the VRT (which is low on commercials) here. Or do i have to add VAT here as well. I'm going for a 2015-2017 with low mileage. There much cheaper there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Are you VAT registered? In theory you can buy the van ex VAT for export and reclaim the Irish VAT on import

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elCilliano

Folks I need some advice, I want to get a range Rover vogue se around the 2014 and above year. I am looking at them in NI how much roughly with a NOX and VRT am I talking, am I living in fantasy land as it will rob me blind?

Nox could be high on a 2014. Try find out if it has Euro 6 engine. Maximum Nox would be €600 if so. Sep 2015 onwards definitely is Euro 6 but I think Range Rover might have went Euro 6 a bit early. Can’t remember exactly.

You will need to calculate the VRT on the VRT calculator. I’d guess around €16k tho. I remember looking into it before and it wasn’t worth it. Not unless you crewcab it and pay no Nox and only 13% VRT

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to crew cab it and get cheaper rate. My father done it in the past with a 2015 Hilux, I wasn't aware you could do it with a range Rover also.

Thanks for your comment very helpful. Country has turned into rip off capital. I feel if I don't go for it I will never be able to do with all the regulations being brought in.

As far as I can remember you can convert a 7 seat to a 5 seat crewcab and 5 seat to 2 seat commercial. But can’t go from 5 seat passenger to 5 seat crewcab

On 2 occasions now, I've spotted NI registered car at bmw in NI that would be ideal for bringing in here and within 30 mins of enquiring, they come back and say sorry, my colleague has taken a deposit on it or sorry the car didn't meet our standards and we are no longer retailing it.

I don't know what the story is. Maybe bmw don't want them selling to south or something but it stinks. The first time I had reservation deposit paid and talking to sales lady about travelling up when they pulled the no longer available card.

Cheers for the Info. So if all is going I can import and register as a crew cab as I have a farm and business and pay just 13% VRT ? Sounds to good to be true lol

You have to pay vat and customs if its a UK car. And have to pay to have the car converted. And 13% VRT is still expensive enough. Its far from too good to be true. I priced it before and it didn’t work out any cheaper than buying here. 2 Seat commercials are cheap enough to buy here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I’ve just put a deposit down on a car up north, any one got any tips on best way tj transfer the remaining balance? Seller needs to receive circa 20k GBP..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

If you have a Wise account you can simply do an EFT and its instant as its a UK account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Just downloaded wise so going to have a look at that now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBulb

Hi Guys,

Did anyone go through the process where they purchased the UK mainland car from a person in Ireland? For Cash. The car is in Ireland since July 2022.

I know that I will have to pay 10% customs, 23% Vat, and VRT on top of it. It still works out cheaper and the car is high spec and I would be saving a bit of money for a car I really like.

The question I have is if the previous owner arrived by boat in July 2022 and did not declare the car to customs and the car was parked up as he is only in Ireland during weekends. Then if he sells to me in November/ December 2022 and gives me an invoice for how much the car is being sold with for example December's date.

Will I have to pay any penalties for the time when the car was not declared by the previous UK owner?

Yep, been there done that. You need proof of entry into Ireland. Otherwise the car won’t be VRT’d. If you present an invoice from Ireland without proof of entry then its likely it won’t be accepted.

If the seller happened to write a random NI address on the invoice instead if ROI then that would solve your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What if the car was already presented for VRT inspection back in July by the seller but wasn't VRT'd for whatever reason? Would that throw a spanner in the works for the OP now as it proved when the car entered the country?

I'd be a bit cautious of something that seems too good to be true - a high spec car going for a good price compared to importing it yourself.

Yep, its a bit of a risk alright. More so now than it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrBulb

Spoke with VRT yesterday, they told me to write down the statement and just say that I have bought a car from such a person and he is unable to provide me with a Ferry ticket so I have no way of proving the entry.

I have MOT from Late July that was done in the UK. This may help as well...

When I asked whether I will have to pay a fine for the overdue time, even though I just bought the car. She said you are the one importing it so you may have but she wasn't sure. She just said to come over to the center and they will tell you on the day. She also said you can always appeal the decision.

My brother is moving here and wants to bring his car over. He was told he needed a conformance document which he got from VW. However the document is totally in German and VW won't provide an xml file or English document to upload on revenue website. Is there any other way to submit a conformance document? He says it's very difficult to enter it manually especially since the session times out before he has finished.

What would he need that for?

• Advertisement

I think it's only needed for cars that were not originally homologated for EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Deleted. Posted in wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Inviso

Sorry to potentially be asking a load of questions that's already been answered ad-nausem, but I have a few.

If I buy a car privately in the UK and want to import it must I use a broker or can the paperwork be done by myself?

Is it easier to come in from the North and drive down?

What if the car is sold to me below the typical market value? I understand if revenue suspects the vehicle is worth more they will take the value from a comparable car, but what about cases where the vehicle requires work either body-wise or mechanically, would this be reflected in their judgment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You will have no grounds to appeal as it is up to you to provide evidence that you only just imported it (which you will not have). You cannot rebut any Revenue assertion (eg if a VRT attempt was made already). Don’t waste time with an appeal on this ground if they have a problem with it. It just clogs up the system for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In theory, any personal importation paperwork has to be capable of being processed by the consumer themselves where the item is being directly transported. Whether you are personally capable or whether it is just easier to pay a broker is a different matter. VAT and duty is based on the actual cost plus transportation so that even if you get a good deal (as opposed to say paying money under the table) this would be reflected in the taxes due. VRT is based of the OMSP - an estimate of what a similar car in the SAME or SIMILAR condition would retail at in Ireland. The question is thus whether the particular faults/damage would result in a reduction here. Don’t get them fixed before you have it inspected unless it’s a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Inviso

I see, thank you.

Here's a scenario for you;

If a mate in the UK wants to get rid of a car today, and the car needs a bit of work that he doesn't want to do himself, so he wants to sell it to me for relatively cheap (not stupidly cheap now either). How will that go down with the VAT and Tariff, I presume they're going to just do the valuation themselves and I'll be stuck with a car that isn't worth what they're telling me it's worth.

Another question, is when is the VAT and Tariff due? Can I bring a car over, see that they're going to try and **** me over, and then tell them to put it back on the boat?

What about if the payment was made by bank transfer, would they be more accepting of a valuation if the payment was made by bank transfer?

Post edited by Inviso on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and they backdated the VRT to the last day the car was taxed or MOT’d in the UK (can’t quite remember which it was)

I had no ferry ticket or receipt of purchase either.

VAT and duty is based on the invoice selling price. There is no valuation or anything like that, and you probably won’t be questioned. The most you will have to provide is proof of funds such as a screenshot of the bank transfer.

People buy crashed cars all the time which are worth a fraction of a roadworthy car, for example.

VAT and duty should be paid before arrival, if the car comes through Belfast you can declare it afterwards.

A scenario of telling them to put it back on the boat would not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Is there a good website list for checking NOx? I know the V5 is the only accurate way of knowing but just for convenience sake when browsing different models

• Advertisement

Not really to be honest. V5 is the only accurate way. But as a guide,

If its petrol, regardless of year or engine size, it’s probably around 0.020

Post Sept 2015 diesel maximum Nox is 0.060. Usually around 0.030 to 0.060

Pre Sept 2015 diesels are usually a minimum of 0.100. Some models such as BMW are lower.

Hybrids are usually around 0.005

Advertisement