Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone feels Christmassy out there fog here in North County Dublin

Safe journey to anyone on the roads

Hopefully when the fog lifts it’s a nice day get out for a walk, I got my LO a snow/Pram suit I think I’ll put it on for today’s walk it’s super cute

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The fog is lovely isnt it. We must be in the same next of the woods haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Couldn't agree more. We went back to a fake one a few years ago as the fresh ones just weren't lasting no matter how much we tried. Now we can put it up as early as we like.

Since we do not do some typical Christmas things like Santa with the kids - we tend to go all out and serious on the things we do do. And Christmas Trees is one of those things. Big bushy and beautiful and we go all out on decorating it - mostly with decorations we make each year ourselves. So we love opening that box and taking them out in descending order of time so the kids relive the memory of each preceding Christmas where they recall making each decoration.

It's like a revelation each Christmas because they forget them all over the 12 months. And then suddenly taking out these memories again propells them back to when they were 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or whatever years of age. (My oldest are currently 12 and 8). So exploring these ghosts of Christmas past is a great start to each new Christmas season. And a great way to preseve memories is to revisit them periodically so I geneuinely hope when my kids reach 60 they will still clearly remember their Christmases from being 6 or even younger.

So with that obsession in trees in mind: We started planting our own quite a few years ago so pretty much since Covid we started coming into the benefits of that. Depending on the size and shape you want it can take anything from 6 to 12 years to get a majestic large and shapely tree. Our oldest trees are now around 10 and we plant a new one every year so hopefully every year from now on we will have a minimum 10 year old tree to cut down and call our own.

If you want a tree that will last longer because you want to put it up earlier or take it down later - the two ways to best help with that is to either A) go to a farm where you cut down your own so you know it is freshly cut and has not been sitting in a warehouse for a week or two already or B) find suppliers of potted trees. Both will go over the 4-6 weeks you will generally get from a cut tree from some random supplier.

With potted trees it serves to be aware there are two types. The first is land grown trees which have been transferred to pots. Pretty much all of those will last longer than a cut down tree but will generally not survive all the same as the roots are damaged. The second type is "pot grown" so everything in intact. These will last as long as you want with care. And if you keep them well cared for until after the coldest/frosty months you can plant them from the pot into your garden and they will continue to grow for years - or you can cut them down again in a year or 2 or 3. So you get a tree this year for Christmas and then a "free" one in a few years for another Christmas. Do that in 2022, 2023 and 2024, and you basically have your Christmas trees for 2025, 2026 and 2027 too.

Nice walk this morning all wrapped up

abit chilly now I’ve stew there going to get some into me and get stuck into some household jobs

an order came so il stash that in awhile, I’ve a good few orders there to go through some for returns, sizing of some off H&M clothes abit crazy in sizing for the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Had to work very hard to resist decorating my desk at work after such a lovely frosty morning! Also picked up new Christmas bedding in Lidl- not red but it will do, been wanting to get new one for last few years!

Congrats on your baby! First Christmas?? :) I finds H&M very generous for sizing too, if it is something you can put on them in few months time it'd fit then.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Are anyone finding that there is very little talk or buzz about the Toy Show this year again or is it just me? :(

It was all over my Instagram feed a few nights ago as people were trying to win tickets for it!

• Advertisement

Definitely very little talk about it this year. I started to fill in the application a few weeks ago and then just gave up on it. We've booked flights to Spain for 23rd now so we'll be away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

haven't heard a lot to talk however haven't been listening to the radio or watching too much TV last few days or much social media. OH was in Penny's earlier and said it is rammers with Toy Show merch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to see Rod Stewart tomorrow in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Miracle on 34th Street (the 1994 version) is currently on Film 4.

Also, Just a little warning as you all might be aware of the revival of The Santa Claus on Disney + based on a few half hour episodes. For those who haven’t watched it yet & are planning on tuning in with little elves, might want to pre-watch it first to be prepared as I’ve just finished watching the first episode & there’s a lot of Santa isn’t real references made!

Post edited by gidget on

Lights were turned on in Cork City this evening - no celebrations just switched on. Drove through the city to have a look and grand parade area is lovely. Rest of them are same as every other year but still nice. It's a real shame that they didn't have the usual celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Turkey preparation!

Aldi are sponsoring a Christmas tree in our town.

There was an announcement that somebody big will turn on the lights.

It was announced Today.

It's Kevin the Carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Christmas tree arriving from Amazon tomorrow, I’m putting it up!!! It’s time

I miss the old Christmas decorations that were on pana! They were stylish and bright and had character

• Advertisement

There's a very nice video on TikTok of cork in the 1980's at Christmas but the link won't share here.

Here's a pic tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

After dumping my old 17 year old tree & decorations after last Christmas & my unsuccessful attempt to try & get a new one in the after sales, I did a big order myself yesterday on Amazon - new 6ft Christmas Tree for €49.99, a tree & decoration bag set along with a load of tree decorations. All I need now are some lights for it which I hope to pick over the weekend in Homestore & More or Woodies

ahhhhh the olden days. That makes me feel so nostalgic right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gentle preparations here.. knitting small gold bells which I will send with personal notes instead of cards... the jingles will be here imminently. As at this time of year ( I live offshore and am all but housebound and getting somewhat... decrepit! ) we can be cut off by the weather I have learned to keep calmly ahead. My own artificial tree (.... that was an adjustment that was hard for me!) will be offset by the Advent Wreath being of fresh evergreens, pine cones and all.

Advent is a Quiet Time here. Perfect for seasonally- oriented craft work.. I also have a new set of lights on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Watched Scrooged last night, really brilliant version of a Christmas Carol.

Happy Friday everyone! How many are putting their decorations up this weekend?

@xDisneyDivax thank you my LO is 20 months it’s her second Christmas, the Christmas outfits for her are coming along nicely 😂

I thought it was just me I haven’t been listening to radio either but I don’t feel there’s as much hype about the toy show

Hoping to get a few decorations down from the attic today and tackle the tree tomorrow

Happy Friday everyone

• Advertisement

We'll take out all the lights this weekend to make sure they are still working but it's a bit early for us to put up the tree. We're away next weekend so will put it up the weekend of the 2nd Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One more week for us, but next Friday is a simple plan, get up, brekkie, get kids to school, start decorating (with Christmas FM on in the background of course!!)

Hopefully have it all done by the time the kids get home from school at 3pm.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

One week to go for decoration day for me too! :)

So excited! Cant believe how quick the time has come around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Getting my decorations out of the shed tonight and into the house. In laws arrive in about 1am so decorating over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm doing the tradtional "Day of the Toyshow" decorating next week. Once again (like last year), I'm in denial that it's only 5 weeks to Christmas. I feel like I'm nowhere near "done" with everything. I have bits done for each person present-wise but I feel like nothing is complete!

• Advertisement

Winterval starting tonight in Waterford. Few pics

Tea break here from Christmas decorations LO having a nap, tree tomorrow…. I had to go with this weekend as toyshow Friday and I am out Saturday next for the day with a pal it’s well overdue so looking forward to it going for afternoon tea

Two and half full packet of 10 pack batteries gone already “Tis is the season”

I only just ordered my batteries online today in preparation of the decoration season!

we got our christmas tree today!!!!! and of course i put it up!!! feels like christmas time!!!

Let work earlier for the weekend and there is a serious Christmas feel in the air.

Kevin's switching these on Tomorrow!

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

Went out for dinner with the family tonight and the pub we went to had all their decorations up and a gorgeous log fire going, bliss.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We finally kicked off Christmas this evening. Watched the Grinch with the kids and lit a roaring fire. Kids want to go Christmas shopping on Sunday so we're hitting Blanch early.

Also found out that work will be doing a Christmas lunch in the canteen on the same day I'm dragging my team out for Christmas drinks so at least we'll have proper soakage before we hit the pub 🤣

Electrician had a last minute cancellation yesterday so we got the electrical bits and pieces done. Outdoor lights ahoy hoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Went in for a walk around winterval tonight. What a buzz around the place. Everyone in such a good mood. First time in years we have a proper Christmas to look forward to. Place was very busy, lights and decorations are class. Only took a few pics and they don't do it justice. Lots of huts selling artisan stuff, mulled wine stall, food, stage with bands playing, light show, the massive poet box, a garden done with all the lights, massive Christmas tree, carousel, Waterford eye, ice rink, amusements, nutcrackers and props all over..wonderful job this year.

• Advertisement

This day 5 weeks is my favourite day of the whole year... normally I'd have it all planned out to ensure the day after went as well as it could... this year we start travelling early and as we get closer to it I'm starting to feel our Christmas is being stolen from us... thrn again 50 years of tradition is difficult to break I suppose.

Anyway, quick query, as we're flying out on Christmas eve its perfectly acceptable to wear a Christmas jumper and santa hat isn't it?

It would be more acceptable to wear the jumper and hat than not wear one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Absolutely acceptable! When you wear Christmas stuff out it gives all the other hidden Elves the confidence to come out, there are tons of us! ha ha

Another one or two around Winterval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭deezell

Utter junk. For sale to people who buy car door antlers.

Baileys 700ml €10 in Tesco atm

Be rude not too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm slightly disturbed a veteran like yourself felt the need to ask!! 😱

Advertisement