Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it's actually Aki that might squeeze Balacoune out more than anything.

They'll want to give Aki a run , but having him on the bench limits the cover options so they need to have a player like JOB in the 23.

So if the bench is going to be Casey covering 9 , Byrne/Crowley covering 10 and then Aki in the 23 shirt , you have to have an all-rounder somewhere in the starting 15 and Balacoune is the one that is most likely to lose out to make that accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's a young exciting backline with some serious pace. Very light on international experience though. That's my take any way.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JOB for Baloucoune wouldn't be a massive shock as JOB went well against SA but honestly the Leinster dominance of the Ireland team is getting a bit depressing. It's becoming harder and harder to get emotionally invested in this team when it's basically just Leinster playing in a green kit.

If O'Brien goes well is he going to take Hansen's spot when Lowe is inevitably parachuted back into the team? We'll have a backline consisting entirely of Leinster players, on top of a pack that's pretty much Leinster with a guest.

"Team of Us" my arse. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd say there is zero chance JOB ousts Hansen. He'll be number 23 if Lowe is fit, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You can see the impact of this on boards.ie every day. More and more posters are far more invested in their province and a smaller minority actively want Ireland as selected to lose so players from their province will get a chance.

Not sure what you do about it though. Go back to the quotas of the 80s and 90s and play inferior players just to balance it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

JOB won't take Hansen's spot. He's a middling all rounder who fits in cause he sort of like a poor man's Keenan. He's an all rounder, he's grand.

we need to stop hyping certain lads.

Baloucoune seems far more tentaive than last season, you can just see it in his body language. Even take a look at training photos. i think missing the NZ tour really knocked something out of him. He's been fairly poor in comparison. But he also got **** all ball in what has been two fairly poor games for outside backs.

Lowe and Hansen two roving wings will be a very interesting proposition.

this is the biggest game of the series imo. Its the game we are meant to win. We don't do well in those types of situations traditionally. its a nothing Australia team, and if we lose its two steps back.

in the grand scheme of things losing this and say not winning the 6 nations will be better for our WC chances.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow, we're at the stage we're judging players by how they look in photos during training.

A new boards low........

Aussies have named their side:

15-9,1-8: Kellaway, Nawaqanitawase, Ikitau, Paisami, Wright, Foley, White, Slipper (c), Porecki, Ala'altoa, Frost, Neville, Holloway, Hooper, Valetini.

Rep: Fainga'a, Robertson, Tupou, Skelton, Samu, Gordon, Lolesio, Petaia.

But he also got **** all ball 

In the two matches that both Baloucoune and Hansen played 80 mins, Hansen had 18 carries and Baloucoune 11. What's Hansen doing to get 60% more ball than Baloucoune?

Hansens definitely a better rover and more comfortable. makes sense given he has played 13,15 and both wings. maybe even outhalf at one stage at under 20s?

RB may have been told stick to wing. again makes sesne given he was none of the above.

Hansen and Lowe both alternating the above does seem a heady mix. but do we forgo any width/pace?

• Advertisement

i'm a massive fan. i wouldn't have JOB ahead of him. i think RB just needs a run and to be backed. he's been unreal for Ulster. Ireland can't just ignore that type of speed.

his body language in matches and training looks different. however he's obviously an extremely relaxed individual. but yeah i'm judging his body language, his demeanor. you know they're sportspeople right, that can be a sign of things? its not like some made up thing here. Taidgh Beirne talked about the nerves and not enjoying his first few weeks and how it is currently, only yesterday. Like it could be nerves etc. he's only a newbie.

he looks less confident in an Irish shirt. he just looks less confident.

but yeah whatever you say..a new low. will you ever..

maybe he was told not to roam, unlike Hansen.

there was a moment in the SA match where Sexton went mental, cause RB didn't show for a floater. he was livid. its definitely a confidence thing in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Good to see McCloskey getting his third start of the series as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Great to see Joe McCarthy on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Delighted for Joe McCarthy getting his first cap. I think he has massive potential.

Would rather have had greater outside backs cover on the bench. Farrell seems to really like having a centre in the 23 jersey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Realistically the only positions not locked down by a Leinster player are 14. 4. 6. and 12

The Leinster bias makes sense in Ireland selection considering the patterns, plays and strike moves this team are working from are extremely intricate.

I still think its harsh on Baloucoune. He has something nobody in else in Irish rugby has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Axing Baloucoune after two games is a mistake. Our backline was crying out for someone like him, with genuine pace and game breaking ability. Jimmy O'Brien and Mack Hansen isn't going to frighten any defence and the top level. It's incredibly harsh to judge him on two games where our attack just hasn't functioned at all. And it's just very short sighted. I get the "win your next game" and all that, but the World Cup is what matters, not November tests who nobody will remember in 5 years. I think Baloucoune was worth more investment.

How much time did Lowe get, after stinking up the joint in his first season? And Baloucoune gets two games where he didn't even play poorly in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm not sure balacoune has been dropped so much as JOB getting a run on the wing. No different to say Joe McCarthu coming in for Treadwell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think Balacoune was "axed" I just think that given the available players , having him would had led to an imbalance in the match day squad in terms of coverage, it's a "horses for courses" call for me.

Put it this way - if you swap JOB out and start Balacoune and keep the bench as is , who is covering 13?

And with the bench as is, an injury to a winger would require 2 changes - Ringrose moving to wing and Aki into the centre which again leaves us with two out and out 12's playing in the middle.

Why not rotate Hansen out then, and keep the balance of one playmaking winger and one fast winger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It's very difficult to solve. If sexton retires next year then Crowley likely moves up the pecking order if he moves to leinster. Not because he is a leinster player but because then he develops a partnership with JGP.

If its a close call between similar players then the coach likely goes for the partnership that plays together at club level.

It makes sense but it does mean you alienate other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Apparently Mark Nawaqanitawase is exceptional in the air. Foley is not exceptional at kicking.

But maybe that factored in JOB getting the nod at 11 (and his left foot) with Hansen taking back over from Baloucoune.

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You think if Ringrose has to go off JOB will go to 13, with Aki playing wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The whole cohesion thing gives us an advantage right now, but that will be gone at the World Cup when everyone has 4 months of preparation time leading up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That remains to be seen, doesn't it? History shows Carberry gets into the starting shirt when fit. Crowley to me, is in the same bracket as HB! Tons of upside. I do think he will pass Carberry soon enough as Crowley looks to be a natural. I hope he does. I hoped Harry Byrne was going to make an impact but, he's been injured and has no form whatsoever to speak off.

I reckon the coaches have invested so much into Carberry that they must feel he can progress. Personally, I think both Healy and Crowley are superior 10's. Frawley was never seen as a 10 for Leinster. He was moved to center and has prospered from that. It seems they are shoehorning him into an outhalf.

If Crowley continues to impress he will get opportunities. This is where I think there's a lapse of judgement with the management. Carberry is decent and was good v Fiji. But he got 3 minutes v SA. Why Farrell is attempting to play Frawley at out half is strange, imo. They've put a lot into Carberry, are they disappointed? It's getting close to the 6nations and I would expect to see Carberry in the matchday squads. Certainly, Crowley could be in the mix and pick up more caps. If Crowley does go on a run of quality outings, then he surely will get his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I agree honestly.

This game is probably the least important tier one game before the world cup warm ups. This is a logical game to start crowley and mccarthy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Henderson is obviously not ready. That's fairly disappointing. Baloucoune has not been bad. I'm disappointed that he was dropped. I would have liked to see Treadwell get a start.

I hope Crowley gets at least 20 minutes. Having McCloskey and JGP both sides of him would help. With Europe coming up, I hope there's no injuries.

Advertisement