Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

If Rehill is back in there will be good competition for places in the half back line and even McVitty could slot in there if needed but i would prefer to see him in the forward line. No word of Gearoid stepping away either which is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I always thought Gearoid's best role was on the 40 but seeing how he absolutely wrecked senior teams when in at full forward, I would be surprised if we don't see him in there for the county. Hopefully that would suit him to get a few more years out of him. Granted, i think he became a father and parenthood brings massive demands.

I know early yet but having Gearoid and Paddy Lynch inside could be a serious handful for any division three team, and ideally free up James Smith to where he plays his best football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It would certainly add an extra dimension to our game and allow us to kick long while the opposition would need to play there sweeper a lot deeper which should leave space for runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Has the panel been extended then with all these new additions or who has left?

On the podcast Damien said that these were the names invited in (10 new additions) and that along with Murray and Conroy (and obviously Thomas Galligan), some other people stepping off the panel. There's a few people who have been knocking around for a couple of years that (as yet) haven't made much of an impact and at least one who has been in and out and never nailed down a place. I assume some of those might wonder whether all the effort is worth it if they aren't making matchday panels. Which is fair enough.

We won't know for certain will December who is on the full panel was the message.

• Advertisement

Had a listen to it. Some of them do seem to be lads getting a trial alright. I don’t for a minute believe the panel are not already training. The podcast were very clear to say this is the panel for the end of November when training starts again!

If all those lads go in, you’ll be a happy lad. Seven lads from the Lough on the panel and you would assume 4 maybe 5 starting if all fit?

Rehill going back in surprises me the most. I hadn’t expected to see him back in there until the member of the panel that he had a bad falling out with retired. Kofi Annan must have been called in for peace talks.

He’s a very good footballer and that debut season was unbelievable. I’m delighted he’s back in- that’s going to make for some competition for half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Great to see Conor rehill and dara Mcveety back in, I’d like to see paddy Meade in I think he has great potential, hopefully the holla will be back to himself, it’s a pity Thomas galligan is heading off .

• Advertisement

Good point on Meade. That was some performance against Killygarry seeing as that was his first game back in about a year. I remember him starting against Westmeath in a league game and getting a straight red in 2020, has he played for the county since?

In terms of the panel, I assume there could be a few Gowna lads asked in as well. I would be surprised if Ryan Connolly isn't asked in once Drumlane are finished. Fair play to them, great performance and fingers crossed for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Great to see the statue of John Joe Ó Reilly unveiled today... It looks great let's hope its respected

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Sunday was a brilliant day for Cavan,To see a statue unveiled of a true legend of the game . When you look through his roll of honour and what he achieved it is incredible. Hopefully it will spur on future generations of Cavan players.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

It's a fantastic statue with great life likeness. A certain podcaster not happy with looking back to past by County Board even though it wasn't a County Board project.

Is he still banging on about this? It's not like it's an either / or thing. You can celebrate (and should) heroes of the past and still look to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

What a bloody twisted take on this, how anyone could not be immensely proud of this statue and all it entails for the Cavan GAA community is beyond me.

I agree. When I first heard him raise this, I honestly couldn’t believe it. You’d swear we were tripping over statues to our GAA heroes in Cavan.

What proud Cavan Gael wouldn’t celebrate this? It’s brilliant. Can’t wait to see teams bring trophies back to Market Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

The statue was a brilliant endeavour. Cavan people are deeply invested in our County team, we always have been, and the statue shows we always will be. Let's hope Raymond Galligan will be standing in Market Square beside John Joe with the Anglo Celt held aloft in the next year or too.

A couple of months ago the CCB were hiring a full time CEO. Was there any update on this process?

Drumlane game is on Ulster GAA TV for those who cannot make it down. Fingers crossed Ryan Connolly is the first Cavan man to bring a cup back to Market Square this afternoon. Good luck Drumlane

Disappointing weekend in Ulster. Drumlane were unfortunate. Penalties is a lottery.

Kilcoo showed that Gowna were probably better off bowing out valiantly on penalties rather than being hammered after their annihilation of Enniskillen Gaels.

I had hoped Castlerahan would beat Corduff as there is a real argument that they never should have found themselves at that grade.

• Advertisement

Three games where Cavan teams conceivably should have won but came up short, two times by penalties. All three teams will feel they left those results behind them, but I especially feel for Drumlane. They were the better team for long spells and Stewartstown scored once from play whilst Drumlane kicked some great scores from play. Yes, they should have put the game to bed in the second half but showed great grit to fight back in extra time when most teams would have thrown the towel in. Would have loved to see a Hawkeye of that last kick from Owens, looked good to me (granted Ulster / Tyrone TV didn't make much of a fuss about that, surprise surprise). His two monster points to bring it to penalties showed serious courage.

Have the McKenna cup fixtures been announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Draw is on December 13th i think.

Cheers. Was it 2019 when we had a home game in Breffni not long after Xmas? I think it was Down and Conor Madden kicked a lovely score to win a tight game. And whilst the game means nothing, it was a great way to dust the cobwebs off for fans, especially those who are heading home for Christmas. Would be nice if we got a home game around the Christmas again!

We played Down in the days between Christmas and New Year in 2018 and played Armagh in the same period in 2019. It’s nice to have a game in those days when all is quiet. Your only problem this year is that the 31st is the Saturday so doubt players will want a game on New Years Eve/day.

Martin Cahill announced as Operations Manager tonight. Is that the new full time county manager role they had mentioned?

That's right. The Armagh game was less fun (coming off the back of two big Ulster defeats and then leading into another big defeat against Armagh in the league). But it was great to get big crowds in Breffni in late December (the dry weather both days definitely contributed there).

Game on New Years eve during the day and let the lads off the leash afterwards :)

Martin Tynan has up that Cormac Reilly & Caoimhin Reilly were not asked back in by Graham - although he did previously post that Killian Brady had retired so maybe should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The news about Caoimhin is particularly disappointing as he showed patches in the League last year. He has to be in his mid 20s now so difficult to see him making a mark at county level.

We'll have to take that claim with a wheelbarrow of salt for the moment! Would it be the hugest of surprises if the case though? Neither looked like nailing down a starting place on the 15 last year. Some of that undoubtedly due to injuries of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Are the dates for the league fixtures out yet

• Advertisement

Westmeath away on the weekend of the 28th January- from memory it's a Sunday with a 2:30pm throw in. It's then Longford (H), Tipperary (H), Offaly (A), Down (H), Antrim (A) and Fermanagh (H).

Advertisement