Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Darn, I'd definitely recommend trying different channels. Mine was very spotty signal at a distance of about 1 meter using the default channel. I think cycling through a couple of channels fixed it

I found it best to leave it for a day or so between testing channels to see if it stayed connected

It still drops every so often but for now doesn't seem to affect the system, although I don't have solar yet so we'll see how that goes

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just on the actual placement of the Eddi in the hotpress and the potential heat - I've mine in there a year now. No issues what-so-ever and yeah it does get a bit hot alright. I think the amount of heat that the Eddi generates internally is proporational to the current being pushed to the immersion, so one way of limiting the heat might be to allow a max usage of (say) 10A instead of the max inside the menu system.

Effectively you would be capping the immersion to 2200w (or there abouts), or lower if needed. Sure, heat is not good for it, but if the placement in the hot press was a requirement, I think you have a mitigation there anyway.

Aside: Inside my attic on a hot summers day with the sun beating down on the roof tiles could easily get to 35c-40c ambient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

That's kinda what I was thinking. Attic temps got up quite a lot during the summer. I stuck a zigbee thermometer in the hot press earlier and the peak today was about 26C in there, so I think it'd be OK. As you mention, I could possibly scale back the amps slightly if needed.

Sadly no, it's well sealed so I'd have to put a hole in.

Maybe just leave the attic door open for a while and see if the signal improves?

If your hot water cylinder is well insulated then it shouldn't get hot in your hot press. Mine doesn't seem to get any warmer than the rest of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

You can't actually see the signal strength. Myenergi devices don't show it.

Yeah the tank is insulated. I have a zigbee thermometer in there since yesterday and one outside on the landing also. It reads about 5-6 degrees higher inside. Peak around 26C which is fine. I'll scope things out at the weekend when I have time during the day. Too cold in the attic in the evenings after I finish work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Wow, just did a check of my gas usage. Which I want to cut down on (primarily to reduce our household CO2). I never had a clue how much we used for cooking V heating before. Only using ~1kWh of gas a day for cooking, so costs us 13.5c per day (rate we pay for 1 kWh).

Used 1150kWh of gas overall for 2 months last winter (Jan to March) for both heating and cooking. So the 60kWh I’d use for cooking (over that 2 months) is a drop in the ocean - in a good way. 2 adults, 2 kids. But we tend to keep the house cool so our heating usage is low (house is small too but very leaky).

Now we’ve an EV and solar since earlier this year, we’re almost down to 1 energy bill from 3 – which is class. Petrol is gone, gas non existent at mo bar standing charges (until it gets colder and elec rads we’re using now won't cut it). So have just electricity and solar helps there of course.

We have an electric shower so not using gas for DHW tank. Will change to an electric cooker in the future (and our air fryer helps cuts down on usage).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And also there are gas plans out there that give you cash back. When I renewed in July, I got €220 cash back. This meant that if I used about 1100 kWh in gas for the year, I would have a zero bill, including standing charges! I won't make that, I will have to use gas central heating on very cold days (or use peak rate electricity) and we have a gas fireplace that's used too sometimes

I should be using at least 80% less gas than I used to, going forward though. Bigger inverter, even bigger battery and even more solar PV are going to be in place in the next couple of months.

Positive news story that France has passed a law that all carparks of more than 80 spaces need some amount of solar cover. I saw them in Portugal where a supermarket had rows of them. Everyone used them as it was really in summer. So in warmer climes, people will find them useful for shade. Once they become more common, people might start to want their own solar / renewables. Link: France to require all large car parks to be covered by solar panels | France | The Guardian

I've been trying to do some estimation of electricity usage of various cooking appliances

For standing appliances it seems to be much the same in terms of consumption. I guess you still need to put the same amount of thermal energy into the food

However, I've found a slow cooker only uses around 250W, so it would suit solar power really well as it can fit into your generation through most of the day, even on dim winters mornings

Air fryer is pretty frugal as well, only needs about 1.8kW. Compared to the 2-4kW used by the oven this is pretty good

Slow cooker is a good idea. Low, slow heat into the kitchen too. I won't get a battery so am looking at lower watt devices like you. More likely they can use solar excess. I use a 400w electric heater at mo to easily heat the sitting room.

But even with a battery, an air fryer uses less power and finishes quicker than an oven.

Pretty much all devices have a lower energy setting. Dishwasher, washing machine. My tumble dryer has one that uses 1.4kw instead of around (so runs for longer).

Microwave has too. But would be a bridge too far for our family members :)

• Advertisement

Looks like Seplos has a copycat with the DIY battery kits, company called EELBattery are selling them now

https://eelbattery.com/EEL-48V-16S-Server-Rack-DIY-Unit-BOX-Built-in-Seplos-BMS-stackable-typesuit-for-230280302Ah-cells-p4402591.html

Uses a Seplos BMS with cells from CATL or EVE. I think CALB cells are taller so won't fit

No fuse in the battery at all 😱

I'm not a big fan of Seplos just putting a mega fuse inside the panel where it's difficult to access, but at least they had something

Nice looking package overall though, they've also got a vertical stacked one that looks like a powerwall on wheels

If I can't see what's "in" the battery, I'd use a fuse on the positive terminal anyway. But I guess these pre-made packs are aimed at a target market that wouldn't be aware of basic stuff like that, so I agree it should have a fuse internally between the positive pole and the BMS P+ connection

Likewise I'd always have an external fuse, but without any internal isolator or fuse then the always live segment of the positive side is a bit long

I like the idea of the DIY kits because they're a lot cheaper than the pre assembled batteries but still hides all the components away without having to design something

My batteries will be in the utility room and even though I'll be putting a lock on the door the kids can still wander in when I'm doing the washing machine, and I don't want the battery components exposed for them to mess with. So some kind of case is important for me

DIY battery with just cells, fuse, BMS and / or balancer and no case and cover it with a radiator cover against a wall, far cheaper, simpler and safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why are the wires from a panel, let’s say a mere 200 watts, 4mm thick. Why is there a need for such a large wire??

I guess it's just standard at this point, plus there are MC4 connectors to join panels in parallel. So you could join 3 panels in parallel to another group of 3 in series, in which case some of the panel wires will be carrying a lot more current

No idea why anyone would do that, tends to be series then parallel from what I've seen. But it's a possibility

I’m thinking of running a 240v AC, 10litre under sink heater from a 175w DC panel directly wired from panel to heater. Would that work?

Yes, but it is tricky to match up the specs of the panel with that of the heating element for any decent output. If you have a look at David Poz on YouTube, he did exactly that and explains it quite well.

Thanks. So the worst that could happen is that the heater mightn’t heat perfectly efficient?

No. The heater accepts AC, the panel generates DC

You'll either need an inverter to convert DC to AC, or a DC heater

• Advertisement

Wrong. You can power an AC heating element with DC no problem. Look up that David Poz video I mentioned before

Have you a link to this video? I googled him. He has dozens of videos

I watched it years ago, it will take me as long as you to find it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

That's it. Ohm's Law! I actually bought an element years ago that would match the PV setup I was going to play with - I think the 3 panels on my old shed at the time. But I never used it / needed it so sold the element on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

There is an installer in Wexford that were fitting SMA equipment and I believe they still are.

They wouldn't sell me anything SMA directly but might be worth a try for your needs.

Solis 5kW hybrid 4G inverter for sale, perfect condition, with WiFi dongle. €1100, no offers. Not advertised anywhere else, only here on boards.ie

PM me if you are serious and ready to do the deal this weekend, collection in Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Yeah sorry, it's spoken for. It's coming down tonight, swapping it for a bunch of batteries I like. Deal good for both seller and buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It might only get lukewarm. You'd be running it at around 40 volts?

Advertisement