Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1 game is nowhere near enough of a sample size to indicate anything.

johnston had just signed his first pro contract when carbery signed and was 21, he easily could have been the longterm option if carbery wasnt being shoehorned in. he didnt get anywhere with ulster for similar reasons, burns was brought in and was always going to be backed over any other options

If Johnston was good enough he would have got his chance. The fact that he failed to make it at two provinces isn’t because he was being blocked by inferior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

yeah sure, being behind two IQ, IRFU-backed 10s wasnt a hindrance at all........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Depends on the game.

Carberry plays better for ireland than munster, i think he’d fit leinster pretty well.

Same could be said for every outhalf in the Ail. Johnston wasn’t behind Carberry or Burns. He was never good enough to be in a position to challenge them. He was third or fourth choice at either province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is all wrong.

I'd point out all the errors but what's the point, you just don't like Carbery. Fair enough, just say so.

Munster haven't won silverware because they've had a weak squad and rubbish coaches. There were 7 years between Munster's last trophy and Carbery arriving. Is that his fault too?

He sits too deep and doesn’t square up the defence. Like last week, we would just end up shuffling from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I agree with that honestly. I think he usually plays too timid. However, i often have the same criticism of Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

no please do point out the errors, there arent any so id like to see what youre talking about.

i dont like carbery at 10, ive said it many times, hes a 15 and hes done nothing to deserve being the starting 10 for munster

did i say it was solely carberys fault? no, i didnt. i was responding to the idea that munster were 'very lucky to have carbery'- why? why are they lucky? theyve won nothing so what difference has he made? he played well in maybe two euro games in his first seaon and since then hes been average

not every AIL 10 was a big part of the first win against the NZ 20s

Byrne squares up the defence, he’s just so glacially slow getting to the line, the defence can reset. Byrne is far better at arranging players around him though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Johnny Holland is one more that comes to mind; if he didn’t have his injury issues, I think there’s a decent chance Carbery doesn’t sign for Munster.

But I’d agree overall. There was a lot of excitement around Carbery joining Munster at the time.

And initially at least, things seemed to be going well. In particular, he came back from a brief injury in the December and put 4-5 quality performances together, iirc, getting MOTM in 2 of them and not missing a place-kicking in something like 20 attempts.

TheN he got injured in the Jan/Feb and missed practically 2 full years (with the odd failed comeback attempt in between). He hasn’t quite seemed the same player since.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Interested to see JOB on the wing. IMO he doesn't have the out in out pace but perhaps Farrell is happy to slot him due to his defense. I taught balacoune is unlucky but he really didn't put his hand up. Defensively he was sloppy in that last try for Fiji so I think that frustrated Farrell the most.

I still think "Form" Stockdale competes with Lowe for the 11 jersey.

McCloskey starting again at 12 is exciting. Against south Africa, McCloskey was bypassed throughout each phase play as if he was told don't get involved. Lucky enough he put in a decent performance defensively. Against Fiji he made 17 passes and played more as a distributor but really didn't show too much in terms of carrying hard at defense. I hope this week he can get a few gainline carries to show pundits and fans his real

Can't wait to see Joe mcCarthy and crowley - look real prospects

I still think "Form" Stockdale competes with Lowe for the 11 jersey.

unfortunately we haven’t seen form Stockdale in 3 years now. Like for Carberry injuries seem to be destroying him.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

That's fair enough. Its going to a massive 3 months in the URC and the champions cup for players like Stockdale and Larmour. Both guys will need to push hard to impress

Agree with all that and I wouldn't make any great claims about Carbery’s success at Munster.

None of this can posthumously turn mediocre players good though. The poster I was replying to says JJH should have in Ireland squads, or that a guy who never rose above fourth choice at Munster would somehow have been a star if not for Carbery. These are just bad players.

He ain't perfect but Carbery has been the only game in town. Fingers crossed Crowley can challenge that because Healy won't, I'll tell you that now.

None of our current wingers have pace by international comparisons, with the solitary exception of Robert Baloucoune. Keith Earls at his peak had good top end speed and elite short burst speed, and the likes of Conway was pretty quick, but we must easily have the slowest wingers of any team ranked in the Top 10 in international rugby.

Something really cool about Sexton crediting Ryan with the decision to go the corner (and the same for the Herring try in NZ in the summer), yet stating if it hadn't worked it would have been a poor decision by him (Sexton). Great leadership.

Leinster have been the best team in Irish rugby for the past 13 years, and I think the selections are defensible.

It would be one thing if the selection was very one province heavy but we were struggling badly.

If you're finding it hard to get emotionally invested in the Irish team right now when we've been playing some of the best rugby we've ever played and routinely winning big matches against SH opposition then I don't know what to tell you.

There were games in the 2000's when we had a huge Munster domination of the team (and possibly games with a full Munster pack). That reflected their place as the dominant province at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Stockdale has been totally derailed by injury imo. If we still had a fit Stockdale who was scoring nearly a try-per-game for Ireland like back in 2018 or 2017 or whatever it was, I'm sure he'd still be in the team and there wouldn't be very much discussion about it. Hopefully he can get back to his best but imo he's quite a way off that.

A connected point to this - it's not just seen at the senior levels. If you look back at the past 10 years worth of Irish U20s squads for both 6 Nations and Junior World Cups, 44% of the players are Leinster, which is more than Munster & Ulster (23% and 20%) combined.

This is the clear direct pathway on to the next steps, so it's hardly surprising you end up with a senior team stuffed full of Leinster players in time (along with a whole lot of younger Leinster developed talent spread liberally across the other 4 provinces too).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Injury has derailed Stockdale so much, and the landscape of wingers has changed so much, that I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his central contract which is up for renewal this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I mean there’s almost no evidence that this is the case. Crowley has played 4 times for Munster since coming back from SA. He’s played more at FB than at 10 in those games. He’s played at 10 ahead of Healy all of once this season. But do continue to ignore facts in your scramble for support of your position.

He’s played more at FB than at 10 in those games. He’s played at 10 ahead of Healy all of once this season.

Both things things are true but you’re overlooking that they’re also very related.

If we didn’t have such significant injury problems, necessitating Crowley to fill in at 15, I’d have fully expected Crowley to be selected more frequently ahead of Healy.

And it also overlooks the impact the EI tour had in selections, and not just in games that were missed; games either side were likely affected too. I think that’s why Healy was selected against Cardiff for example; for some continuity in what was a new attack shape.

Ultimately I think it’s pretty clear Crowley will be ahead of Healy come CC time tbh.

Yeah you can't tell anything from this season's selectons, it's been so all over the place. Crowley was a million miles off the pace last season, but then that was under JVG...

The Toulouse game will be the acid test of who is where in the pecking order, especially if Haley stays healthy and we don't need to shunt Crowley to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d hope so. But that has only happened since the EI tour (assuming that it has). Akrasia was responding to me basically saying that Frawley was ahead of Crowley because Crowley wasn’t a live option until the EI tour, an opportunity he got because Frawley was injured. Quite how anyone can think that Crowley is level with Carbery in the depth chart is astounding tbh. He’s in the process of taking over Healy. That’s about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is no disputing that Leinster have won more silverware in the past 13 years, but it's simply not true that Leinster have been the best team consistently. In recent years,

They haven't been the best team in Ireland every year for the past 13 years. For example.

in 2014/2015 they failed to make the knockouts in the Pro-12 and were knocked out of the Heineken cup in the Quarter finals

2015/16 Leinster were beaten in the Pro-12 final by Connacht, and came bottom of their pool in the Heineken cup

The next year. 2016/2017 Leinster and Munster both topped our Heineken cup pools and both teams got knocked out in the semi-finals, while Leinster got beaten in the semi final and Munster lost in the Final of the pro-12 (having topped the league table)

He could be at Munster; I think it's unlikely, but we just don't know yet.

In the same way that Andy Farrell doesn't always go by the Provincial pecking order in his selections, that can work both ways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not sure Stockdale was ever elite. He had a brilliant run of games where everything he tried came off. I think it over-stated his level. A bit like Fanning at Leinster for a while (I'm not suggesting Fanning was ever near as good as Stockdale).

His defense was always questionable even when he was in his purple patch. I would be surprised to see him make the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hanrahan is a good player, despite numerous significant setbacks he's currently a starting URC out half and he played nearly every game for Clermont last season. He was unlucky with both Foley and Van Graan, neither coach suited his game at all. Most guys who are cast aside by Munster flame out of top level rugby, while he has persistantly been recruited and got game-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Van Der Flier had a good interview before the South Africa game on Virgin Media.

He spoke about how much analysis goes on in international rugby. He made the point that its easy to come into a squad and make an impact for a year but then you are a known quantity and teams plan around you.

He has countered this by adding different bits to his game every year and the Irish coaches have been great at figuring out what he can do differently to make an impact.

Stockdale I don't think has added anything to his play. He is more or less the same player he was in 2018 except a little slower from injuries. People have figured that he makes mistakes when pressured and how to pressure him, how he likes to turn etc.

For the record I wouldn't be surprised see Stockdale. He is one of the players that could grab what I expect to be the 6th back 3 spot.

Advertisement