Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

It was a token cap. If he wanted to see what he could bring to the squad and whether he is ready for senior international football then he should have been given at least 20 minutes and utilise him in the manner I mentioned earlier. Hopefully he gets a proper runout against Malta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's the substitutions and choice of player that's the big issue. Ferguson should have gotten a half hour, same for Smallbone and Coventry. We do not need to know anything more about Robinson, Hendrick, Brady or Browne. A half each for 2 of the goalkeepers wouldn't have been bad either.

There's no point just trying them against Malta in what, on paper, should be an easy game.

SK is just making a rod for his own back with team selections now.

Think thatas me off the kenny train. The choice if subs today was so uninspiring. Dont think we can afford to get rid of him but not seeing progression anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,507 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Disappointed to see Brady and Hendrick coming on. I thought Robinson should have been substituted early as he was very poor. Comical defending for the winning goal. Its a huge job Kenny has to make a team from this squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ditty Haman making some great points. As much as I want Kenny to succeed, I'm really struggling to see how he can turn this around

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

One of these days people might accept that we're just not that good.

We have decent players at best who have been performing above their level. We're still missing a midfielder who can move into the pockets of space and create something. An Odegaard, a Dusan Tadic etc.

Kenny had a chance to try to see if we have one in Smallbone but he didn't. People might forgive him for losing 2-1 in a meaningless friendly against Norway if he tried something different and it just didn't work but, O'Dowda aside, he didn't really. That one is on him.

However, a different manager doesn't suddenly make it any better, especially ones that the FAI can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Robinson/Obafemi combination didn't work at all. There was no link up play between them whatsoever and Kenny shouldn't have waited so long to make a change. Not giving Hogan a single minute was strange, he's our most prolific player by far. The bad mistake from Collins was worrying. He's clearly a good player, but this isn't the first time he's made such bad errors this year. I wonder has the Premier League move come too soon. An awful lot of spotlight and pressure on him. If he makes a few mistakes, his head drops and his confidence goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Updated Stephen Kenny record: 29 games; 7 wins, 10 draws, 12 defeats.

We were deservedly beaten by a Norway side that rested their talisman and world class player. Didi Hamann is correct: that first half was as bad as we've ever seen. It's a good thing Haaland wasn't there because, aside from him battering us, the apologists that make up Kenny's pals in the media would have said he was the difference between them and us. That excuse can't be made now. In reality, a competent coach could have got the win against that outfit tonight.

We have not made any progress since the McCarthy era and we're going nowhere under this regime. Beating a Malta side ranked 168th in the world won't paper over cracks that have been on show for a long time now. He needs to go. I don't want to hear 'who would we get?' as an excuse. Once we've established the coach ain't up to it - and he's not - move 'em on, draw up a list of candidates, and choose the best one on the list. It's not rocket science. The bar has never been lower. To better these standards, the next coach needs an overall win rate above 24%, and a competitive record better than 4 wins in 21. Hardly mission impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As much as I'm in favour of SKs approach I am starting to feel like we're swapping one dogma for another.

It used to be get rid of the ball at all costs, now it appears to be hold onto the ball at all costs.

Norway sat back and we had no answer. Huge amounts of space to charge into in the middle of the park but we're playing sideways balls to lads still in their own half.

Substitutions in a friendly would also make you rethink the whole kennys kids or building for the future.

Seemed very much geared towards a result more than any development.

I don't see how he deserves minutes and Hogan doesn't. He's only played one league cup game this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It may only be a friendly, but if he loses to Malta he's got to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Yeah agreed bringing on Brady and particularly Hendrick is a massive groan moment when he has alternative options on the bench to try. Surprised Ferguson got minutes tbh and is in squad as well, not getting minutes in Prem or any real first team football. I'd leave him be for the time being tbh. On the Collins header/Norway goal it's not woeful for me he's going away from goal hard to get momentum to get that away with the shove in the back as the ball in coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Jaysus we couldn't lose to Malta. I don't see that happening. A dreadful 0-0 at worst, possibly.

Tis less brady himself and more the lack of ambition

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The hate for Brady is strange, he was our best player against Armenia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Oh Jayus, and there I was thinking it would be handy enough.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Kenny fairly honest in his interview for change.

Edit - except when he said he would not accept it was lack of urgency in first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya it's different approach and same problem.

We have lots of decent players that will work hard but we have absolutely no one who can really break a team down.

Kenny actually just said everything we done wrong and then everything we done right later on. He wants the ball to be moved faster so why is it not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s not hate. We know what he can do. Surely a friendly is for trying new things? Testing out new players. What were we gonna learn from seeing Brady again??

Jayus that is damning praise from Didi. Asked about the O’Dowda - said he was not as bad or as good as anyone else. And called the first half pathetic.

No punches pulled from the German. It was almost as if he hoping the players hear it in ‘hotel room’ because Kenny won’t lift them out of it.

Compared to previous interviews he was a bit better. But I think needs to lift the players out of it now and again.

Another problem we have had for years and multiple managers.

I thought Kenny would finally break the cycle and treat friendlies as chances to experiment so was disappointed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He was devastatingly critical. Like someone with nothing left to lose and no longer returning to the easy RTE pundit jolly perhaps.

It shocked me to be honest, normally Didi tries to find a positive, balance it out a bit. But he sounded extremely pissed off. And he is not even Irish!

I would love to hear the conversations between Doyle and Didi off camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The only positive from tonight is that the Stephen Kenny disaster of an appointment is coming closer to the end. He wouldn't even get a job interview at League 2 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably thinking why the **** did I agree to do this when I could be sunning my bollocks in Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭crushproof

It's been said a million times but I've no idea how people think a new manager is going to improve the team.

We have a squad made up of a couple of relegation zone PL players, PL players who don't get major playing time and the rest are mostly mid/lower level Championship. We don't have a single outstanding player like Odegaard who can control midfield and create chances.

Spot on, it is an odd state of affairs Irish football is in now. Directionless, for all the talk of ‘the future’. An international manager plays to his teams strengths. I am not sure Kenny does that.

Are set pieces attacking/defending drills done enough? It does not seem like it.

Ireland has small nippy quick forward players so play quick ball on the counter. The slow side to side stuff at the back really handicaps Ireland. Easy to defend against kills momentum. Ireland is a team that needs energy in their play to play well.

It is a mess really.

I don't see many players worth experimenting on quite frankly.

I think a better manger would put structure on the Irish team. At least make teams work to beat Ireland. And be more of a threat from set pieces etc. This Ireland team is very limp. They are a roll over team. A handy number.

Forget about technical ability. There is no steel or drive in it. The latter part is created by the manager who picks the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Well a new manager couldn’t make it any worse .

Not only has be us playing a style we aren’t good enough to , he has also taken away our strengths and what we’ve always been good at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

350k a year.....the man is stealing a living....what's his win rate must be only about 35% or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The lack of speed to our play is what makes it painful to watch. And there is no risk to our play. Norway where also terrible.

First half was as bad as you'll see entertainment wise. We where good from half time up until our goal and reverted back to the same again straight after, happy for the draw which was the saddest part. It's a friendly, try to win at least. When we made our subs, O Dowda stayed as far as way as possible and Obafemi switched from right sided forward to the left side to waste time. Molumby stopped, bent over, pulled his socks down and removed his shin pads after his number went up. He was met with a mixed reaction from the crowd. Not the reactions of players or a team looking to win.

A disappointing effort from both teams.

There is no such thing as inherited "strengths" or nations having inherited values that they are "good at"

Its all just myths we create. What worries me is I think we are not good enough to play any different way.

• Advertisement

I get your point but to be fair wev been traditionally very hard working , physical and hard to beat , dangerous from set pieces and very good in the air in our own box . That’s not a myth

No we haven't. When Jack made us "hard to break down" people went nuts because it was the wrong way to play.

I don't think we were ever that good from set pieces either or at least I don't remember many goals from them historically. You can't be good in the air if you don't have the big players and that is not Kenny's fault or can't be fixed by another manager. And the one thing we still are is hard working.

Practically everything you listed is just a mindset of a certain generation who happen to be a large part of the Boards demographic.

You don’t remember Shane Duffy being our best chance of a goal so for the past 5/6 years no ?

One player for a few years (years we were sht) does not amount to some sort of national tradition spanning the history of Irish football.

Its a stupid idea that Brazil are always this or Italy are always that. All it does is hamper sides.

One player ??

I can understand people who are dug in on Kenny defending him and that is grand but to try now to deny that Ireland have never been any good at set pieces or defending crosses and Kennys team is the way it always has been is total nonsense

Some of our best players and most important goals ever were scored from set pieces and we had some of the strongest players in the air in international football . Dunne , Quinn , McGrath , McCarthy , Moran , Cascarino , Duffy .

Its been an obvious strength of our national team for over 30 years

I never said Kenny's team is the way it always was. I am saying there is no such thing as the way it always was.

What can Kenny or any Irish manager do to change our players to be as good in the air as those players. Is that something you actually think can be done.

What were these important goals. I honestly don't remember many from set pieces. Not outside of Duffy at least.

I don't think people expect a new manager to come in and start turning over the likes of France and Netherlands, but a new manager with more of a tactical pedigree could certainly improve things. You'd expect a new manager would make substitutions early when the game isn't in our favour, rather than constantly waiting until the 80+ minute to make changes. Or instead of setting us up to have the wing backs fire balls in wide aiming for a striker that is dwarfed by whatever defender is marking him, play to his strengths by going through the middle or else get more of a strong forward on the pitch who has a hope in winning the high balls.

As nice as it is to see us winning the battle for possession, Kenny remains tactically naive, making the same tactical mistakes in every game and expecting a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

SK won't be replaced as long as there are plenty of bums on seats at Lansdowne Road, as there have been since he took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Can you name a player, any player in the squad who has proven they are able to create space, find a pass and have assists? We simply do not have a player like that. Our strengths are our defenders.

I have supported Kenny all the way but the constant slow and strange subs as others have said will probably be his downfall in the end. I still think he should get the Euros campaign And if it doesnt start well then I hope the FAI have a plan in place. As someone said Kenny cannot now say we are building for the future when he brings on Hendrick and Brady. He really isnt helping himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Crowd went very quiet when Hendrick was lining up to come on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement