Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housed cattle coughing all of a sudden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ostertagia type 2 are late developers, not all doses have cover

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Never heard of worm doses being growth stage specific like fluke doses, surely a housing dose clleans out everything, I only ever did the housing dose once

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Levamisole doses don't hit the Type II, inhibited larvae, of Ostertagii. Causes "Spring Scours" when they become active, usually March time, I think. How important it is, is questionable. The other dose types have been dominating for years so I've never seen it. I suspect it's the reason why people started dosing "going out of the house". Levamisole would be effective again at that point.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What's everyone using this year on their cattle? We've got Virbamec Super - Ivermectin and Clorsulon.

I've just been wondering this evening about whether it would be better to get something like Closamectin injection that can treat immature fluke and therefore we can dose sooner after housing as the calves do kick on after dosing?

Combinex can treat all stages of fluke - maybe that and something else for mites & lice etc. like Spotinor or Flypor? Calves could be dosed at housing and any burdens would be removed sooner.

Advertisement