Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently heard a comparison made which seemed to make some sense; cities created an existential threat to human health, and one of the biggest changes made to counteract that was the invention of the sewer system/public sanitation. social media is an existential threat to clean public discourse, but we've yet to invent its equivalent of the functional sewer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not enough people use twitter for it to make money. It should have brought in a subscription for news sites etc years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Oh no, they called him apartheid profeteer and colonizer, the irony is lost on them unless they were native Americans living in a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is the hilarious insane part, having some friends who are that level, not with Twitter but other companies.

They don't apply for jobs, or even get interviewed, they get courted and head hunted dozens of a times a year.

They effectively interview the suitors and set their terms.

Also the idea that they will agree to some sort of 9-5 and are constantly whipped and degraded by some cockwomble is hilariously naïve.

His massive fragile ego has completely over taken the logically part of his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The whole thing is just mad.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I think those arguments are a bit pointless though. The genie is out of the bottle and the internet is here.

Other social media platforms are there and as one dies others will take over. The network is there and people will use it and build stuff on it.

The internet is as profound a change as the invention of the printing press, a technology that allowed the free flow of information and caused chaos too.

We just have to adapt to it and learn how to use it. Social media is still very new, but we can’t just turn the clock back a few decades either in search of some comfortable nostalgia.

This is where we are. This is what a huge shift technology enables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twitter ran into the same problem Facebook ran into: the more they tried to become an indispensable part of life and "current affairs", the more the cold reality of living in that space became. Starting with a basic need for moderating the extremes. "Free Speech" is a myth usually wielded by people who really mean "I want to be a cúnt without repercussions", but FB & Twitter quickly discovered being a ubiquitous tool meant dealing with those cases. And to be fair to them both, neither could have predicted the levels to which "Fake News" and misinformation came to be weaponised on the services. They reacted too late to the problem, but that's just what happens when you basically become a new Media.

Point being. Mastadon, if it truly takes off, will run into the exact same problem eventually. At some point you need to cover your áss, doors start needing to be shut if even from a legal standpoint - limits put on what can be said or tolerated. True Free Speech is 4/8chan and there's a very simple reason why nobody above a certain level wants to advertise there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I feel sorry for anyone that has, or will lose their job because of this.

But god damn is it enjoyable watching that complete muppet constantly making the wrong call. Everything he's done has been a complete shitshow. It's like a manual on how not to run a company.

I think that you forgot to mark your posts with a sarcasm tag...

Mastodon could potentially get weirder again because it isn’t a single entity. Mastodon is really a protocol that allows anyone to spin up a microblogging service, much as you would an email service or a website, and to connect to an ad hoc network of similar servers across the internet.

Individual servers can opt to block connections from servers they don’t like, and set their own rules locally, but it’s potentially very much more complicated because it isn’t a single company or platform, it’s just a protocol.

Regulating it would be like trying to regulate email, SIP, or even the Web. None of those things are centralised. They’re just protocols linking servers connected in completely ad hoc ways across the internet.

It will be … interesting…

• Advertisement

It's almost like there is employee power in numbers when they come together to a single entity, a "union of workers" if you will...

Yes, even if it was a handy tool for breaking news (particular example the Russian war in Ukraine)

Want to be able to delete new posts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This exactly. Many of my friends are developers, simply 'cos one of my initial friends is - I am not. However, I am in a position where I have hired and it has been difficult. And yes, the closest a GOOD developer would do to seeking a job is simply getting it out there "I'm open to offers". There are quite a few developers out there. It's not like it's a small field but most of the recruitment/recommendations is via word-of-mouth. "Oh I worked with them in XYZ. Give them what they want". A good developer usually doesn't stay at a place very long either. Sure, money is a factor, but doing interesting work is actually higher on their list of priorities. So they'll come in, work on a few improvement/transformation projects, get bored after 3 years or so and move on.

Who in their right mind would work at Twitter if they had other options? A Social Media platform needs absolute tip-top developers. They need to build and maintain a robust environment while also not stagnating. They NEED a stable developer core but why would they? Sure, there are tech layoff at the moment but these people could literally literally finish a job on Friday and start another on Monday if they wished. Usually for more money and better conditions/perks.

I think I heard somewhere (Maybe here) that there were thoughts that he bought it as almost a tax write-off. At the time, I thought this was a bit far-fetched (I am NOT a conspiracy theorist). But right now it's had not to see this as anything other than an intentional dismantling. He is smart enough to know the impact of these policy changes. It is very strange.

Was it true twitter was losing 4 million dollars a day before Musk took over?

How was it worth 44 billion? Crazy.

I could have told Musk how unused twitter was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think a lot of people misunderstand the idea of it being a private company. While it is it owes substantial money (12 billion) to the banks. How soon the banks can get in to take control am not sure.

I imagine on borrowing's line that it will have earning and turnover targets definably quarterly maybe monthly.

Payments of interest on that loan would be 50-60 million a month. Over the last few weeks he has added another 70-100 million that has to be found in the first quarter to fund redundancies.

Unless he is willing to put hundreds of millions into Twitter o er the next couple of months the banks will foreclose.

Finally if the site starts going down more advertisers will pull out. He is now in a death spiral where Twitter is concerned. It's not if it's when control is taken from him.

Slava Ukrainii

It was grossly overvalued. There’s no way to explain it really.

The problem is, assuming the worst (which looks likely) by the time the lenders move in, there won’t be a Twitter to take control of.

I think the backers of this could well be looking at taking a dead loss.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's just all been so rushed and poorly thought out.

I've been part of corporate takeovers before , where a larger entity buys out a smaller one and what happens is that the big company send in the Consultants/Auditors for a few months (I did that role a few times) and they find out exactly how everything works or doesn't work and come back with a set of proposals to streamline things which may or may not include redundancies.

The idea that you could come in and make this scale of massive changes after only a week or two is just complete and utter madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Well it kind of isn't sarcasm, sorry its terrible that so many people have lost jobs, but if a company isn't doing well and then someone else is taking over then they are entitled to do what he is doing in order to save the company.

Ok, Elon is doing it Elon's way with a little troll here and there, in some instances it is funny and in some it is warranted, but the man has a serious level of fcuk off money, so he's in some way entitled to say fcuk off

Sad day for Virgin Media "journalists".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think that's a joke. Alex Cohen's bio says:

Building things at @carbonhealth. Mostly parody account

And this:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Based on the 2021 numbers it was losing about $4M a week - It lost $220M in 2021.

Once Musk took over and burdened it with $1.2B of annual debt repayments from his buy-out, NOW it's losing $4M/Day.

There's a theory that he chose the purchase prices based on a Marijuana meme , which he has used multiple times before.

Bottom line , he's an arrogant tool who fully believes his own hype.

So I suppose was the downfall of twitter was inevitable given how much money it was losing.

Musk just speeded things up quite dramatically.

Some people got extremely lucky during the tech booms. It doesn’t mean they be easily knew what they were doing, in terms of finance and investments anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well we were constantly told after the acquisition that Musk wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't a genius businessman and that he is so much smarter than all of us, so obviously he was going to make Twitter a huge success and we just couldn't see how brilliant his genius plan was.

So either those people were wrong, or they and Musk will all try to save face and claim this was Musk's plan all along because Twitter bad and lefties bad and lefties liked Twitter, so Musk spaffing $44bn up the wall and greatly damaging his personal reputation to own the libs and drink lefty tears was a sacrifice God-Musk was willing to make.

The issue he faces now is more about investors getting cold feet about Tesla and Space X. This isn’t really demonstrating good business leadership. It looks like it may well go down as one of the most expensive corporate collapses in modern history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Advertisement