Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Making Brexit work is the only option. There is no quick re-entry so the best you can do is promise close alignment and cooperation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Stick to the damn treaties, regain something of the lost soft power and international respect that the Tories spaffed way and maybe we can start talking about rejoining in 2030 or so.

Anyone in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU, do you want the UK as it is right now back in? As much as I do, I don't think it'd be good for the EU with all that is dealing with though SM and CU membership would sort out the NI issue. I think that that would make for an ideal medium to long term solution.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anyone in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU, do you want the UK as it is right now back in? As much as I do, I don't think it'd be good for the EU with all that is dealing with though SM and CU membership would sort out the NI issue. I think that that would make for an ideal medium to long term solution.

Personally speaking, no. It would be no different to when the likes of Farage and others attended simply to disrupt over stuff they were making up. This behaviour benefitted nobody and was done purely to appease the newspapers at home...

...or this...

The British MEPs have not shown respect towards the institutions so why would we let them back in if they haven't changed one iota?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not that I'd forgotten it ever happened, but just watching that performative garbage again rekindles my disgust Farage ever achieved the public status he did - and that he had such a hand in the Brexit Narrative from the off. A solid reminder just how paper-thin the entire argument for Brexit was in the first place; flegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Up is down, left is right, definitely not Brexit related etc..

• Advertisement

The fact that Paddy, Jerry and the rest of the EU were annoyed by that stuff was a massive plus for an absolutely brain dead childish wing of the Brexit voter.

All that "they don't like it up em" bullsht.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What shocks me so much about Farage is how has ditched Brexit and Europe and has now reinvented himself as an Oswald Mosely / Enoch Powell figure attacking defenceless refugees and migrants, bigging up his mate Donald Trump and criticising Zelensky. How on earth did that charlatan with such noxious opinions get on Question Time even once?

From what I can see, I don't think he was ever even interested in the EU or Europe. It was just a platform to promote himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

You do know 'They don't like it up em' is a quote from a 1960s comedy programme don't you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not remotely shocked.

He was always going to hang around. He has destroyed his reputation in the City so this was always going to be his only option. What are the refugees going to do? Take legal action? He's picking on them because they can't fight back.

As for being an MEP, he attended 1 our of 43 fisheries meetings. He could have done his job but it was easier to screw over UK fishermen and then blame Brussels.

It's great that he's turning on Zelenskyy. It reminds us that he's one of Putin's little puppets and nothing more.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Yes I know exactly that.

You do know people quote it all the time in England when talking about dealing with Europe don't you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

The British MEPs have not shown respect towards the institutions so why would we let them back in if they haven't changed one iota?

The other UK MEP were well respected in the EU parliament and most contributed constructively to the parliamentary work, e.g. Richard Corbett, Seb Dance, Charles Tannock, Molly Scott Cato, and many, many more.

Lars 😀

Ya but the EU won't risk having a country that will vote the disruptive morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

I didn't post the link to the Labour party to suggest that the UK might re-join the EU. I too believe that would be impossible right now.

I posted the link to highlight that while the ordinary voter knows that Brexit was/is a disaster the Labour party is trumpeting this

"We will not be joining the single market. We will not be joining a customs union.” ..: “We will not return to freedom of movement"

That sounds to me like continuing with a hard Brexit when what the UK economy needs is closer ties, entry to the custom unions at least. Again, I re-iterate, the electorate seem to have moved far ahead of the Labour party on this.

Interestingly, most of these are virtually unknown as public figures in the UK. The BBC and others only wanted to hear from that right wing agitator Farage.

I think the real issue is the Tory party. The UK is a two-party state. There's no point in rejoining tomorrow if Suella Braverman or Michael Gove start touting Brexit betrayal and Brexit 2.0 as a cynical ploy to get re-election. People are changing their minds but this is a gradual process.

Starmer, as far as I know, is simply trying to avoid getting accused of plotting to undo Brexit. It's not a charge that has the same power in 2022 as in 2019 but his nature makes him fearful nonetheless. I'm hoping he'll try and align with the EU with the tacit goal of rejoining in the long term.

These pronouncements are nothing to worry about IMO. Then again, I've just renewed my passport in case I need to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The labour minister on QT time last night said the Labour Party aim was to make brexit work - not rejoin.

thr Tory panelist’s mantra was brexit wasn’t to blame rather a)covid b) the war in Ukraine. The audience thought otherwise,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't see it but the labour minister shouldn't really say anything else until they are in a position to follow through on it. Currently the tories have the control (so to speak!) and have the media behind them. If Labour say anything now, the tories (and the media) will manipulate it and turn it against Lab. Better off saying as little as you can until ready e.g. coming towards an election and then announce whatever they have planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would suggest we have to change that anyway , to have more of a realistic majority voting, as we have enough eu disruption as it is .

its difficult but while it is more complicated with them in the eu, a stronger eu would also have advantages

and the constant fighting while initiated by uk dosnt do anybody good . personally i would take them back without the rebate and would allow them to keep their pound.

i guess it will really depend on how much they learn their lesson from this , and how much they will change , and i think right now the penny is dropping and in a few years they might be ready but i wont hold my breath for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Contributing to the MEPs mentioned being unknown was the fact that, not once, were they invited onto Question Time. Every single MEP invited onto Question Time was a Brexiteer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The most important requirement would be to make sure a more democratic voting system for the national parliament was used than the FPTP system currently in use.

Also, the proportional system they chose for EU elections was a list system that gave the parties control over the list and so control over who would get elected. It is the list system that had Farradge always elected. If it had to be personal votes, then he may not have got returned.

I think their route back would be through the CU or SM or both. But not for a good while yet.

• Advertisement

One wonders how those BBC Question Time producers feel now. Their own incomes and families are going to take an absolute hammering for years to come as a result of their endless promotion of that charlatan Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not completely excusing BBC but most of the UKs MEP contingent were hard right Eurosceptics for a long time (certainly over that time period).

(Probably - not sure on this one) before UKIP and then Brexit Party even became a thing?

I would guess an effect of committed single-issue cranks that hated the EU (or had other associated fringe views) being more dominant in the bad turnouts for European elections. Apathy in the wider electorate.

Same thing happens here to an extent. I mean Ukraine invasion has fully exposed that some of our MEPs are every bit as bad if not worse than the worst of the Ukippers/Brexit party hooligans. Someone voted them in and they represent us now to an extent, and get air time.

Well if you don't care enough to go and vote (the British in the main didn't when it came to European parliament elections), those who do vote will decide who your representatives are, and to an extent who gets the soap box or the mic off your state media etc. when EU issues are under discussion.

Ironically only UKIP voters cared about voting for European Parliament.

Obviously you had the people who always vote but only UKIP could energize the casual voter

The extraordinary thing about Farage and UKIP is that I'm starting to suspect he was never even bothered about Europe or the EU. He seems a bog standard right wing populist / agitator like Trump, Bolsonaro etc who latched onto the Europe issue as he felt it might be a way of making himself a popular figure in Britain and make money from it. He never even talks about Europe these days and hasn't for a long time.

His greatest regret was winning. Took away his 2 big sources of income.

Yep, it was a disaster for him. He could carried on for decades with his fake 'the EU is oppressing us and ruining our lives' spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wouldn't necessarily blame the BBC for the lack of an MEP from Labour/LibDem/SNP etc on Question Time.

Ultimately the decision on 'who goes on' will have been made by the party in question. It was up to them to decide whether a Minister, MP or MEP was put forward. I'm not an avid follower of QT but from what I've seen the Labour policy seemed to be to use a local MP or local Junior Shadow/Minister depending on where QT was being filmed.

One wonders how Farage ever got the 40 or 50 invites. UKIP was never a "political party" in the true sense of the term - more of a right wing / far right protest group with a self appointed dictator at the top making all the decisions and framing all of the policies.

I would. The BBC had Farage on Question Time on almost a monthly basis as I remember. They didn't have a single MEP from a pro-EU party. I'm sure the Greens and the Lib Dems would have loved the opportunity for exposure.

• Advertisement

In fairness, they got over 4 million votes in 2015 and Farage was quite popular at the time. We hadn't Brexited so a lot of people fell for his cheeky chappie with a pint and a cigar shtick. Now, of course we know better. That was almost 8 years ago!

Advertisement