Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's a mad post, the roads are for everyone? Motorways and some roads are unsuitable for cyclists and it's illegal for cyclists to use motorways, they're exclusively for motorised vehicles, and rightly so.... Cyclists never hold up emergency vehicles, cars, vans and trucks do, all the time, talk to your local emergency vehicle drivers and they'll school you. And for your information, women, girls, teenagers, elderly people and children cycle too and they don't take up space, they reduce space on the streets for people like me that on occasion needs to drive.

You need to get on with your life and stop expecting people to give you, entitled middle aged men priority on the streets. You need to take a sensible respectful, mutual approach when discussing street sharing.

You're part of the problem Robot22. The streets are not exclusively for middle aged men in expensive cars.

Yeah, I'm sure emergency vehicles have no added problems trying to manouver through traffic that is hemmed in on both sides by all those stupid plastic bollards now cluttering up the road spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

Those bollards wouldn’t be necessary if drivers copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

"the roads should be for the benefit of everyone and not just cyclists.".

Wow, just WOW.

In one sentence, the absolute arrogance and entitlement of car users is perfectly summed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the irony is that many, many cyclists would be happy with 'normal' cycle lanes, if motorists respected them.

'shared space' for a significant minority of motorists is 'space i can park my car in'. and this is the reason for the bollards; it's because if space is provided for cyclists, it's often gobbled up.

i don't recall ever, whilst out driving, having an issue with a bicycle parked in the lane i am driving in, and blocking it. the converse is chronic. we provide cycling infrastructure, motorists park in the cycling infrastructure, and then many motorists complain about the sheer affrontery of cyclists and bollards, etc. etc.

the line 'when you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression' springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The traffic would still be there blocking emergency vehicles regardless of the bollards.

The problem is the traffic not bollards.

As pointed out in one of the earliest posts on this thread, when bollards reduce road space to the point where traffic barely has enough room to pass each other, and is left with no room to pull into the side, then it's most definitely a bollard issue.

Remove your bias and apply a little common sense, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

And again, those bollards would not be necessary if drivers copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Personally I have witnessed numerous occasions of traffic manoeuvring out of the way of an oncoming emergency vehicles even on bollard festooned streets. It is not the issue some would like to make of it. I would love to see the ugly bollards gone myself. Unfortunately, Irish motorists can't be trusted.

The sheer arrogance of you asking for sensible and inclusive discussion without even realising the privileged position cars already claim on the roads is actually astounding.

You're putting the chicken before the egg.

Without bollards traffic/drivers just filled the space that the bollards now keep free. There was so little space in fact you couldn't squeeze a bicycle through. Never mind emergency vehicles. So they installed bollards so cyclists can now fit. It's not bollards blocking anything. It's traffic.

What you're actually advocating for is have more and wider cycle lanes, and car free lanes. So emergency vehicles can use them easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The bollards are there because of motorists not respecting mandatory cycle lanes. The solution is actually wider cycle lanes, which emergency vehicles can use to bypass the motorists blocking the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you give us an example of a road which has seen bollards introduced and this is now creating an issue whereby "traffic barely has room to pass each otherr, and is left with no room to pull into the side"?

The issue is the roads are too narrow to accomodate two way cycle lanes.

There is literally barely enough room for cars to pass each other.

Previously there was space for cars to pull over to let emergency vehicles pass but now that space is given over to a cycle lane.

Many of these cycle lanes are just a few hundred metres of bollards and you have to cycle on other roads to get to them and you are dumped off them back into traffic.

Again, if you cant share the road with cars maybe just dont cycle,if you arent confident on a bike you are a danger to yourself and others.

These two way cycle are in many areas, have a look at the plans someone else already posted in this thread for Dunlaoghaire,lookat the plans proposed for Salt Hill in Galway,look at what was proposed for Strand Road, Sandymount, I dont think that madness has been consigned to the bin yet.

There is a diversion on Strand Road now and the traffic is being diverted through Sandymount village, I cycled to that village yesterday, I was practically the only person on a bike for the whole forty minute cycle. The village was jammed with traffic,it was the same when I drove through it on sunday evening,this insanity has to stop.

And then those who are saying we have to cycle everywhere are the same hypocrites who flew to Egypt to talk about climate change, how many of those pontificating in the Dail use public transport to travel from their rural constituencies, how many city based TDS use public transport and bicycles to get to the Dail,........,lets get rid of all cars and drivers for TDs, wouldnt that set a good example.

Lets decide now that no TD is flying out of the country for Paddys day and any jaunt they want to take that day has to be done by bike. They can cycle in their home areas and promote tourism that way,see how that idea goes down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny, you usually hear the emergency services complaining about badly parked cars hindering access, rather than bike lanes.

The issue is the roads are too narrow to accomodate two way cycle lanes.

There is literally barely enough room for cars to pass each other.

Previously there was space for cars to pull over to let emergency vehicles pass but now that space is given over to a cycle lane.

Where are these roads? Name one where cars have barely enough room to pass each other?

What car do you drive?

Separately, was there any consultation with the emergency services on the size of cars increasing over the years?

The current VW Golf is about 18cm wider than the Mk1. Likewise, all other cars have gotten fatter over time. This space could have been used by the emergency services, blah blah blah. Do you see how your arguments are kinda daft?

Many of these cycle lanes are just a few hundred metres of bollards and you have to cycle on other roads to get to them and you are dumped off them back into traffic.

I think you'll find that many cyclists agree that the cycle infrastructure by and large is wholly inadequate. It is good that you agree.

Again, if you cant share the road with cars maybe just dont cycle,if you arent confident on a bike you are a danger to yourself and others.

I'm well able to share the road. However, some of the drivers around me seem unable to reciprocate the sentiment and feel that I should not be there. Bizarrely, I even get drivers travelling illegally in 24/7 bus lanes demanding that I get out of their way. Should they just not drive because they are unable to share the road?

However, there are many who may not have the confidence to cycle on a road given the occasional tosser driving who cannot reciprocate. Should they "just not cycle" because of an occasional self-entitled tosser driving?

And then those who are saying we have to cycle everywhere are the same hypocrites who flew to Egypt to talk about climate change,

Can you quote one person who said that you have to cycle everywhere? Or are you not being truthful?

how many of those pontificating in the Dail use public transport to travel from their rural constituencies, how many city based TDS use public transport and bicycles to get to the Dail,........,lets get rid of all cars and drivers for TDs, wouldnt that set a good example.

To an extent, I agree. We should not be providing them with generaous mileage allowances.

Lets decide now that no TD is flying out of the country for Paddys day and any jaunt they want to take that day has to be done by bike. They can cycle in their home areas and promote tourism that way,see how that idea goes down.

I think your rant has strayed well away from making cycling a normal means of travel. 😏 Maybe start a new thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who is saying that we have to cycle everywhere?

Have you asked the emergency services about this alleged problem? They’re well able to speak for themselves and they don’t seem to be bringing up the issue.

They did once in relation to the Salthill cycleway and were pointed out to be incorrect by their colleagues in South Dublin. The gardai in Galway also seemed to oppose it but when questioned they made up some bullsh1t and unfounded excuses

Oh of course you have!! Why would I doubt you? (#sarcasm).

No, what is astounding is the lengths some will go to, to justify anything that suits their narrative.

Thanks for demonstrating my point yet again, that a sensible discussion simply is not possible, with those whose only interest is in pushing the anti-car agenda. You're doing a great job. 👍️

I find it ironic that those who talk the big talk about road safety and saving lives, have no qualms about emergency vehicles being delayed in getting to calls.

you do realise that almost all people you are arguing with who have an 'anti-car agenda' are also motorists?

it's funny how it's usually cyclists who are accused of bias, when they're the ones who have the greatest experience of using both modes of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OK then what we'll do is say we don't need cycle lanes because some cyclists don't want to used them and are happy to share the space with all road uses. Or if you want to go for spin on on your road bike you use the cycle lanes till you get out of the town onto the open road when you pick up the pace. It's probably 5K of your 50 k spin get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

If what you are claiming is true regarding emergency vehicles being hindered by road bollards don't you think we might have heard something about all of these stuck emergency personnel and consequent patients left waiting for treatment. Alas no. No such drama exists except in your own imagination. I dare say, such obstruction to emergency vehicles would be national news. But I haven't heard a dickie bird.

No, it is you who is not capable of sensible discussion. And the bizarre thing you can't see past your own self interest whilst accusing others of the same.

Keep your sarcasm for when you learn how and when to deploy it. And keep your ad hominem attacks to yourself also. I did not lie about my previous claim. You needn't try and tell me what I have or haven't seen with my own eyes.

On by the same logic, we’ll say we don’t need motorways because some drivers are happy to use local roads, ok?

I can only ask again why you think that your journey is more important than anyone else’s?

There was an example gien earlier in the thread by another poster. Go look for it.

But examples I have driven on personally are parts of Main Road, Tallaght Village, and also Wellington Lane (photo below). And for added irony, where is the cyclist in this photo?

Not in the lovely, purpose built, segregated cycle lane, but on the bloody footpath!

I'd love to see an ambulance trying to get through Wellington Lane at morning or evening rush hour. Actually, I take that back, no I wouldn't. Because someone might die.

Now, back to the real world...

I'm not anti-cyclist, magicbastarder. I don't care who cycles, or why.

I am anti bollards though, and I am against the installation of cycle lanes where there simply is no room for them, but they are being shoe-horned in anyway, to fit some green agenda.

Take that as you will.

i have personally witnessed, on several occasions, emergency services being blocked/held up by motorised traffic. so i will use the same logic as you - if there is a possibilty that an ambulance could be held up by a wand protected cycle lane, so we should remove the cycle lanes; the proven fact that emergency services can be held up by traffic, means we should remove the traffic.

Well, if you're going to be that level of facetious, then lets not even bother.

I never said anything about removing any existing cycle lanes. Though I would remove the bollards.

The emergency services have managed pretty well up to now. If something isn't broken, don't fix it.

Wellington Lane (mostly) has 20ft verges either side. That's not an issue of not having enough space. Its about poorly designed cycle lanes. They've squeezed them on the road when there was no need to. I would wonder why they exist only on some parts of that route.

Main street Tallaght mostly has no bollards. The ones that exist in village, at a first glance seem to there not to protect the cycle lanes, but to prevent parking in that area.

• Advertisement

What actually IS happening here for decades is an obesity crisis, an air quality crisis, a cancer crisis, a diabetes crisis- all of which are significantly improved by getting more people cycling.

And yet again, our emergency services haven’t raised any issues with cycle lanes.

Be honest, this is just piggybacking on a non issue because you don’t like the general idea.

Advertisement