Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

no football fan really cares about the protests, aren't 1 in 4 of the countries participating against homosexuality, what country has a clean record ? I see Usa was mentioned above, they dropped nukes on cities killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people ! I see they have banned booze from all the matches now, that'll be interesting when the brits play there could be many arrests followed by more sob stories

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not such a big deal to ban alcohol for the duration of a 90min match.

If you can't survive without booze for a couple of hours, you are in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yes - and thats exactly my point - every country has flaws, but for some reason for the first time ever thats its being held in a muslim country is when the football public in Europe (and not particularly anywhere else) decrees that the World Cup should not be played, or should be boycotted.

Again, I dont think Qatar is perfect by any stance - but there are arguments for and against it, the 'for' has been completely ignored and I think its been held to a level of scrutiny and criticism that no European country ever received, notably including Russia in 2018.

The 'for' being

(i) Its the first time a muslim country has ever hosted it. Thats a good thing, in my view - if we want a so-called World Cup to represent and be available to 'the World'

(ii) It can afford it - unlike for example Turkey that you mentioned, or Brazil or South Africa.

and arguably

(iii) The world cup has put a massive spotlight on very real human rights abuses that are prevalent not just in Qatar but in many Muslim and non-Muslim nations, and has challenged these in a way that they were never challenged when Football Stadia werent involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I get your overall point (I've been to 4 major competitions and never had a beer in the ground), but the duration of a WC match is at least 3+ hours, not 90 minutes. For many, 'on holiday', that's a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s not so much the banning as it is the late stage of the decision. People heading over would have been well aware that it would not be a typical World Cup when it comes to alcohol but they would have expected to be able to get a pint at the game based on everything FIFA was saying. And Qatar would have been well aware that Budweiser being a major sponsor would expect to be able to sell beer at the games.

I feel like this is a reaction to some of the negative stories around journalists on social media over the last couple of days, and the Qatari government wanting as much control over the fans as possible to limit any further incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus, that would mean watching football whilst sober. that's a cruel and unusual punishment that should be reported to the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is only off the top of my head stuff but I really don't think they have the same restrictions on alcohol.

Turkey is very much a Muslim country with secular law so would be surprised.

Its not just the law anyway. The whole World Cup in 1 city with no real soccer fans is a big killer as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure certain posters will be along soon to tell us we are racist if we think it's wrong to pull alcohol at this late hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,720 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But this is boards in recent years I have noted the trend of people putting ‘they/Them/theirs’ in their signature for example.

I have often thought why stop there? As that only covers a tiny percentage of the worlds population. How many ‘causes’ could you fit in a boards signature without leaving any out?

Many on boards love the latest bandwagon ‘cause’ be it Ukraine or whatever - which was very quiet on Ukraine until last Feb. No uproar in 2014 for example. No real ‘boards horror’ then. Same with Syria where is/was the active trend on that?

You are spot on about America you only have to Google ‘CIA coups’. Or Iraq invasion of which Britain and others participated against ‘International law’ under a false pretext.

Plus many of Britains big banks have links to the Slave trade. It is where they made their money. Bristol and Liverpool boomed because of it indirectly:indirectly. The wealth created remains.

So where does the Western Moral Outrage line stop? Only where it is convenient and at a ‘safe distance’ historically?

I predict the Qatar WC will go ahead grand - there might be a few half assed empty gestures from players and the like. But that will be about it.

I don’t know do people know another Muslim country Saudi Arabia is manoeuvring for a 2030 WC bid. So boards has plenty of time to gear up for that.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is supposed to be a World Cup.

Exactly, not the Sharia Law Cup.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Posters on here go on about the UNHCR as if it is a prerequisite for every culture. But it is a Western creation which was manufactured by European Western countries about 1950 after WW2.

They're free to leave the UN at any time if they don't like its values.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,256 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lol, Budweiser are investigating opening legal proceedings against Fifa due to a breach in the terms of their $75m sponsorship of this world cup.

Clown show, really hope this WC is a disaster from all aspects.

what i really, really hope for, is to get a good team in the sweepstake in my local ! :)

@gormdubhgorm

But this is boards in recent years I have noted the trend of people putting ‘they/Them/theirs’ in their signature for example.

Maybe because that's how they want to be identified? Shock Horror! 🙄 Get over yourself.

Many on boards love the latest bandwagon ‘cause’ be it Ukraine or whatever - which was very quiet on Ukraine until last Feb. No uproar in 2014 for example. No real ‘boards horror’ then. Same with Syria where is/was the active trend on that?

What happened in Ukraine in 2014 was very wrong but what happened in 2022 is another whole order of magnitude. It's by far the biggest act of aggression in Europe since WWII. Hundreds of thousands of civilians killed or injured, millions displaced, war crimes aplenty.

Syria isn't in Europe. None of our fellow EU countries have a border with Syria. Like it or not, proximity matters (as the UK is currently finding out)

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not surprising at all.

In 2014, Brazil had a ban on selling alcohol in stadiums to combat violence that would occur during games. FIFA successfully pressured Brazil into overturning that law for the World Cup(presumably with pressure from their sponsors), arguing that Brazil knew that having alcohol available at the ground was considered a requirement of hosting.

So it’s strange to see them meekly back down on the same thing this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Well, considering Gianni Infantino lives there now I'm sure he will kowtow to much of their demands to make his life as comfortable as possible!

This was probably the plan all along by the hosts.

How many fans would have decided not to travel had this been known 2-3 years ago ?

I really hope this is a sign of things to come and this World Cup is a disaster.

They don’t even allow Alcohol in the seats in Croke Park. Until there was Aussie Rules/American college football - Suddenly the rules were relaxed completely!

It is amazing how rules can be relaxed for visitors that previously did not apply to locals. I am sure plenty of drink will be had in the fanzones in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The first reaction of the security/police to any trouble will be very telling. The english fans would want to behave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

" Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol. "

So if you are rich, you can drink anything you want..

But for the real fans in the cheap seats,, No soup for you !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVm1KcrHM6s

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I wish I could go back in time to the 82 World Cup in Spain. A young Maradona getting lumps kicked out of him, Zico, Socrates, all the fit Brazilian birds, no problem with booze or or any other kind of bullsiht. Great days. I'll probably watch this "World Cup" though. I fancy Salem Al-Dawsari for the golden boot at 250/1.

It is worse it is going to get. That Infantino fella wants an expanded World Cup and make it every two years. A completely diluted competition/prestige but more moolah.

But Infantino is the same fella who is calling for politics to be kept out of football. But only recently attended a G20 summit!

So I don’t know what to make of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah I remember the British media was stoking up ‘racism fears’ 10 years ago. When the Euros were in Poland/Ukraine.

But I can’t remember any major problems materialising.

The impression I get for this tournament is that such media outlets are hoping for trouble in Qatar. As it will get clicks and sell.

There is still a gouger element that follows England. But this time it will likely be spun by the British that the Qatari’s were ‘heavy handed’ ‘Draconian’ if there is trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You mean, "happy with their lot, and there is no clamour for great changes to social laws or government structures"...? I doubt if that's the case in Qatar and there have been lots of clamour for changes elsewhere in recent years.

Honest question - is protest allowed in Qatar?

Really? 200 euro a night for a tent in situations being compared to Fyre Festival? And you're going to need more than four metro lines for nearly a million football fans.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-62995496

I think you need to take the blinkers off, mate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Not a very good comparison.

It would be more like Croke Park telling the Aussies the can have booze years in advance and then saying no 2 days out when the deals are signed.

90% of the stadia I go to have no bar at all and barely a shop so drinking at a match is not my thing. But this is just bad faith from the 2 faced Qataris hiding behind a religion they are happy to shoot with loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most countries are taking much smaller numbers of fans than in previous WC.

I honestly don't think there will be any hooligan types at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ireland's not big enough and doesn't have the infrastructure. We're putting in a joint bid for the Euro 2028 and that;s as good as we can get.

You can't judge decisions made 40 and 60 years ago by today's standards.

FIFA is the boss here and needs to lay down rules to application: and if one of them needs to be "be inclusive or don't apply" then so be it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I detest these Gulf regimes but a part of me respects them for demanding people abide by their rules in their country.

Advertisement