Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding race for property

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That is exactly how we bought out house, we viewed it. Came back with parents for a second viewing, by then there was a bid on it. We went well above that to remove them but the EA came back and said that the sellers were looking closer to the asking. So we went up to the bottom of their expected range and up pressure on the EA. Worked we got it, very happy with it. Big green opposite and our doorbell is worn out with kids calling for ours. Great house in a great area.

Sometimes you just have to realise that the seller can't or won't go below price x and you have to deal with it if you want to buy the house. Or somebody else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

So two people are allegedly bidding against each other over the course of a few hours. And as soon as I am at my limit the bidding is over and will accept slightly over my limit and not only that but will ignore any possible bids from the alleged second bidder over my offer because I was 'first' to bid? The only reasonable explanation is that there is no second bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Can you link to the property on daft, just interested to see if it’s as unappealing as you say. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You bought at the bottom of bust in 2012 so your advice doesn't apply! It is a total different world out there now and not 2012...

Yes they do make fake bids for all sorts of reasons, you may fail to see as you bought in 2012

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You claim you are not an estate agent. Are you sure???? Because you defend them like it was your company we are talking about. We are talking from experience full stop.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

While I'm glad you are happy with the price you paid for your house, the scenario you've described, almost certainly resulted in you overpaying for it. The bidding process is all about price discovery - if you had truly undervalued the property with your initial bid, then someone else would have come in and outbid you.

What you ended up doing was bidding against yourself.

Another underhand tactic EA's use is the rejected bid, and will tell subsequent bidders that a property has no bids. This denies bidders important information that they may not have copped. Say a house is for sale asking 700 and the initial bid is 550 and is rejected. Subsequent bidders are denied that information, missing out on clues that there could be something that means the asking price set at a significant overvaluation.

I’m a Dentist, head over to the Dental Issues thread and you’ll see lots of posts.

You don’t have to be an EA to call the bluff of a bluffer. You are sure EAs make fake bids, you have proof, but you have f**k all or you would have posted it.

“Experience” is usually confined to people who unsuccessfully bid on a house and think what they believe it is worth equates to what it is actually worth, therefore the reason they don’t get it, or have to pay more is because the EA made up bids.

Post your proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I had experience bid a house from 400k to 425k, and the the buyer offered 430k for several round, every time w 5k add on.

and I got fed up and said congrats to the other buyer. They did get it at €430k.

even I can afford extra 5k but I was just sick of it.

at the end I bought a house at one fixed price €395k, the owner asked for €395k and there was only one buyer offered 375k. It was like on market for 3 months already with no higher offer. So she accepted it and it was done very quick.

You are adamant that it doesn't happen but several posts have outlined scenarios where it is a sound strategy.

Do you really believe that it never happens? Of course it does, the question really is how frequently it does. To be honest, it likely happens more often than you think it does, but less often than many bidders think too - as the strategy only makes sense in a small set of circumstances.

Given that a bidder likely bids on several properties in their search, it's likely that they will encounter shady strategies like it at some point, like fake bids - particularly on property with little interest and inflated asking. I've definitely been bluffed with the no bids/rejected bid nonsense by an EA.

I am not adamant that it doesn’t happen. I am adamant though that if you are going to accuse someone of wrong doing, or if you are “sure” it happens, you are are either just speculating or a complete bluffer unless you can substantiate your claim.

Can you substantiate your claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'll never understand the horror some posters display at the suggestion that estate agents may engage in sharp practice from time to time, it's beyond naive to think it doesn't happen. When the house I was living in went on the market earlier this year the listing stated it had been owner-occupied since it was built when in fact I'd been renting it for the last 9 years, a fact the agent was well aware of.

A bit of hyperbole there, it isn’t horror, and no doubt like all professions there are bad’uns, but saying that there must be fake bids because the bids went up, or no one bid until I bid is just silly. It is to assume no other bidder could be interested in the property.

Can you provide anything which is other than opinion to support your claim?

Looking for straw men? Castle Park in Galway. viewings were held at 9AM presumably in the hope the locals would still be in bed, but now I think about it being that early on a Saturday could explain why I was the only person at the viewing. A couple of token quotes about the area I got from visitors over the couple of years, 'It's like something out of Angelas Ashes' or my personal favourite, 'the village of the damned'. If you scour the price register you may find what you are looking for if you want to build a straw man.

You could just take posters at their word in future. You have more trust in slimy EAs than you do in posters on Boards it seems.

Are you telling me the property did sell?

How the hell could what I asked be a strawman? Your contention was that it was so bad that no one (apart from you apparently) could be interested in it, yet low and behold, it sold. You do understand what that actually means? Someone else bid on the property.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I am the one who bought the property. Maybe that didn't come across clearly in my first post. Anyway, we're going in circles. An EA saying whoever bids X first wins, in the middle of a back and forth bidding contest, is clearly being disingenuous at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

And the proof you mentioned? This accusation is often levelled on this forum but I have yet to see any solid proof!

And no I don’t work for an estate agent either!

I have however recently sold a house in south county Dublin and was quite surprised at the level of professionalism and the sheer hard work put in by the EA to get the sale over the line for a price considerably in excess of my expectation!

No it was as simple as they weren't going to take our offer, they were old and needed the cash to move, they couldn't get a mortgage for a bit extra so they had hard constraints. We could sit around till either we blinked or they did (but I didn't think they could) or somebody else offered what they were looking for and we'd have to bid more or back out. The house was at the lower end of our budget we would have gone to the asking if needed.

Post edited by spaceHopper on

Or what they do is they say to the vendor, look you have no other offers, if I can get the other guy to come up to 587500 and meet in the middle would you accept it. They they go back to the bidder and say the seller will meet you in the middle and take 587500. Everybody feels like they won. In any sale if anybody feels hard done by it probably won't happen.

My take on this still stands, work out what you can afford and stick to it. Be practical and offer to do a deal if needed. If it doesn't happen on this house move on to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Maybe, maybe not. If the vendor is in a hurry to go sale agreed and has a pain in his hoop from the bid going up 1k at a time, then you could well imagine him drawing a line in the sand.

If the bidding was going up 20k at a time, not so much.

Everyone may feel like they won, but only the vendor won in the situation you outlined. If your initial bid had undervalued the property, then another bidder would have out bid you.

While there is value in closing a sale quickly, this value is not related to the property. In the example above it's 12.5k to end the property search.

I'd rather not pay such a premium personally tbh.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I was on the other side of this. Someone bid on the property. I wanted more money. EA said look, we only have one bidder. You can wait a while but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Cant see why he would say anything else tbh. He wants it sold so he can get paid. Only reason for it not to be sold would be me looking for more money, which i didnt. I just waited 2 weeks to see if another bidder came along and they didnt. All the while the EA calling me asking if I was ready to close.

Advertisement