Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There needs to be better representation for anime and international animation as well tbh. Don’t want to see Netflix just sweeping the majority of nominations either if something as imaginative and idiosyncratic as Inu-Oh gets overlooked in the process (although obviously national pride dictates that Cartoon Saloon should always win).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Arguably they could up the number of nominations to allow a bit more diversity there. There's a rule about how many nominees there can be depending on how many animated films are released in LA in the eligibility period. So there's either only 3, or mostly 5. Animation Magazine lists about 30 films as eligible this year. They could easily have 8-10 without diluting the quality of the category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH you could make the same argument for most Oscar categories. It’s madness to limit the entire breadth of non-English language cinema to a mere five nominations per year.

That's true, but at least there's a long list for the international category. But then again there's only one allowed per country before the long list is decided. France alone probably could have had 5 by itself the last couple of years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's an argument that some of those nominations are valid Best Picture nominations", nevermind Best Animated Feature, especially as American Animation matures and expands as a medium. The catch-all group does seem to be creaking at the seams by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't seen Marcel, but is the discussion because it's filmed in real world settings with stop motion animation only on a few elements, like Marcel? Though from the shorts it seems they focus mainly on Marcel and since everything would revolve around the animation, it would probably count.

I can understand that. Same with 10½ going by what I see and it being rotoscoped. Like I don't think I would consider Undone or A Scanner Darkly an animation. I guess they would be hybrids.

Like would Who Framed Roger Rabbit be eligible now?

I’ve seen Marcel and I’d definitely consider it an animated film with live action elements over a live action film with animated elements. It’s a pointless distinction, really, but it should definitely be eligible for an animation award.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Speaking of Marcel, that hasn't had a UK and Ireland yet, right? Seems like American film Discourse has been chatting about it for months now.

The rule for animated films being eligible is

"a significant number of main characters animated, and at least 75% of run time including animation"

So something like Paddington wouldn't qualify, but Marcel does. I don't think there was any debate over Marcel, it just hadn't been confirmed whether it qualified or not. Linklater's film was rejected, but he appealed it, obviously successfully.

Nothing yet, no. I saw it at an IFI festival screening in Dublin a few months back so it has screened here, but only in a festival context.

Unfortunately it’s another of the recent A24 titles caught up in release limbo here and in the UK, along with Pearl and a few others. It’s seemingly random whether some other distributor will pick them up or if A24 will handle it themselves. They did release Everything Everywhere… on their own, and I believe are doing The Whale as well. But they sold After Yang rights to Sky and X was handled by Universal or someone. It does seem like they’re getting a bit more comfortable handling UK and Ireland releases themselves post EEAAO so hopefully more of these films show up promptly rather than months or years later.

• Advertisement

Wait, what? Some kind of collaboration?

That video is all they’ve said! A truly next-level tease.

Do Disney own Lucas Film?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SW Visions Volume 2 I'd venture.

The mysterious Ghibli / Lucasfilm project is… a 3 mins short in which Baby Yoda crosses over with the dust bunnies from Spirited Away. On Disney+ now.

I'm genuinely hitting the point of cultural saturation where I'm somewhat sick of that bloody Yoda. Cute at first but ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Unsurprisingly, he loathes the idea of "content" and Rotten Tomatoes et al.

I think he's dead right about Rotten Tomatoes; it's a total devaluation of cinema as something subjective and conversational. I've ranted about it enough but I think it's an attempt to reduce sometimes complicated, often elaborate art-entertainment into an arbitrary score - a value that's so crude as to call 3/5 "fresh" and worthy of praise. Equally frustrating when people - including some folks here - try to use it as a cudgel to "prove" people love or hate a film. It's literal points-scoring a medium that by its existence contradicts that simplification.

The remarks about "content" I could take or leave; but no doubt there have been a lot of films that got drowned by the Netflix algorithm. Few that might ahve make millions in the cinema but depressing that despite getting an ostensible global audience, the algorithm does its best to ensure nobody ultimately see it.

On the topic of Scorsese, the man himself turns the big 8-0 today. What a towering figure he is, albeit with his delightfully charming and modest public persona. He is naturally one of the major directors in contemporary film himself, and in every interview you can tell how much he adores the medium. But its his commitment to the restoration and release of classic films from around the globe that has cemented his status as a true champion of the artform. In a world where film history is often dominated by a handful of countries (US, UK, France and Japan particularly), Scorsese has always been committed to expanding the canon to the rest of the world.

Mubi actually has a bunch of the Scorsese World Cinema Project titles available at the moment: a bounty of riches to be found there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The content thing is a bit of a two faced comment when he was very happy to take Netflix's $250m for content when they funded the Irishman and Apple TV's quest for content giving him $200m for his newest film Killers of Flower Moon.

For sure, but he probably never lacked for promotion or marketing on the service and the Irishman was very much "a movie"; whereas a lot of material is otherwise calibrated for being halfwatched on phones as brain mush, while smaller movies get absolutely buried by the algorithm. Case in point: whither the new Cartoon Saloon movie only days after it was released?

And whatever else apple are, their service is more curated than the shotgun blast programming of Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The  algorithms can also give unknown little gems the boost they would never have gotten outside of Netflix.

To be fair those gems are more than likely going to be shows over movies on Netflix however the algorithms target what is most watched by the paying Netflix watcher and that say more about the taste and sustenance of the majority of Netflix viewers than it does the platform.

Of cousre Netflix and all the streaming platforms will position the films they paid huge money for on there home screens is that really any differnt to the way films in cinema's with posters cutouts and trailers are pushed or in the good old days of rentals when you went into a video store and posters, cutouts etc were front and center to make you see X before you saw Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,516 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bradley Cooper to star in Steven Spielberg's Bullitt remake

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ugh...

Park Chan-Wook's vengeance trilogy - is it an actual trilogy that needs to be watched in a certain order? Or is it just 3 thematically linked films that can be watched in any order?

Just I see 2 of them, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are both on Mubi at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are thematically linked. Possibly best watched in order of release, I am not sure, but I'd say most people watch Oldboy first - it's the most popular and well known of the films.

For sure but there's a question of volume with Netflix that makes it a bit of a slush pile for those hidden gems to climb up. By and large though, especially with movies, the service will aggressively push the result of the latest blank cheque written for Reynolds, Johnson or the Russo's. TV shows fare better in terms of hidden gems getting their time in the sun - I'd argue Dark was one of those - but specifically with film? Smaller stuff get buried, constalty IMO.

Hot Take: Bullitt is that not that good of a movie, and if you removed the iconic car-chase scene, it's otherwise entirely forgettable.

Yeah, they can be watched in any order. At a stretch, I'd say Lady Vengeance works best as the last film as it's an intriguing contrast to the other two. But really yeah whatever order you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I agree, it isn't that brilliant a film and even the iconic car chase has been surpassed. Although the Lalo Schifrin soundtrack is still fantastic.

However, fuck remakes.

Advertisement