Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I agree, thats what it'll likely be.

As it stands though, both lanes of the south ring can be used to go N40N to N25E. All of the new gantries from Mahon to the tunnel are telling all N25E traffic to get into the left lane only. Thats where I think the chaos will be. That just won't work in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Excellent point. I think it’ll work fine when it’s eventually free flow. Having traffic lights in the interim might expose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes, I think that’s mostly right, although access to Little Island by looping back around the roundabout is never going to be encouraged.

I had to draw out my thoughts, because I was writing far too much to explain it in words! So, left is the current arrangement, right is what I think will happen. I think the “fourth” lane (really only a queueing area) will be closed to allow construction of the direct M8 slip-road to begin. In the end, it’s very close to yours.

You’ll still be able to nip onto N8 Cork from Lane 1 at the roundabout (although why avoid the easier free-flow?). Anyone whose muscle memory puts them in the wrong lane for Dublin should be okay; those who end up wrong for N25 can go around the roundabout again.

I think the roundabout will be left in place for a little while so that people can get used to the lane changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep I was going to say that the 4th lane towards Little Island probably won't be signed as that. There will now be 2 access points for Little Island, they won't sign this as the "3rd" one. It'll probably be signed "tunnel management building" or something.

More gantries up this morning coming along the N25W. I hate them all and they are going to wind me up every morning.. Cluttered, small and I felt, quite unclear.

They also suggest getting into the right hand lane to go to Limerick approaching Tivoli. Unless something will change with lane arrangements later on, this is technically correct, but practically wrong.

• Advertisement

Roundabout will have to remain until the new Tivoli to Tunnel movement is put in place. At that point, a small section between the M8 exit and M8 entrance can be closed as it’s no longer needed (boxed in red below).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The it to the left of the red box (from current roundbout heading east) can close this weekend too can't it? That's where they'll then build the Tivoli to Tunnel link.

The current exit to go N25 east? Correct. That will likely close immediately to facilitate construction of the loop for Tivoli to Tunnel movement.

With thanks to DroneHawk.

Appears that barriers are being place on the roundabout to divide traffic going to N25 east from traffic going M8 north. This will eliminate potential late weaving to make the new exit.

Construction team video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

New camera angle on the dunkettleapp - gives a view of the new road to N25E

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Entire South ring to and from tunnel in total gridlock after accident westbound by Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Asked this before but any idea on when this project will be finished? To me, it seems they are on the home stretch after the opening of these new link roads. Fair enough there is still a bit to go, but slowly but surely, traffic is taken from the roundabout with each new link opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

I'd imagine any date offered for completion would be official handover, so all the lanes could be open and operational for months before all the tiding up an landscaping are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As mentioned, Feb 2024 is official time frame at the moment. I think after these links open there won't be any more for a while, as remaining main movements look a fair bit off completion. Lot of those works are offline so should be able to plough on at speed

I think we’ll likely see most other links open with the next 6 months.

• Remaining slips between dumbbell and mainline
    • Revised entry into the tunnel including. N25 west to tunnel slip
    • Tivoli to Tunnel loop

The last to open will be N25 west to M8 north. That’ll take significant earth works which at the exit of the tunnel are prob a few months away from even starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah I'd class 6 months as a long way off in terms of what's left in the project. Like the tivoli to tunnel loop surely requires significant work, and still a good chunk to get through for the dumbell connections despite the progress. Can't imagine winter weather helping, it is what it is. Outside of tunnel alignment, I'd be guessing April/May for anything

It's a pity Link B cannot be free flow for now.

Once Link B is free flow it will hopefully ease the northbound congestion a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

New.links opening Sunday at 11am according to OH who just past through tunnel a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just read today’s newsletter. One devil in the detail is that the existing merge from the DKI roundabout to the N25E will close immediately on opening the new links. Although redundant once Link A opens, I’d assumed it would be kept open for a few days to allow people time to adjust. I think that particular change will really contribute to carnage on Monday. The contractor must want to crack on with the N8-N40 loop without any delay at all.

Would have caused issues where the old slip merged with the N25 mainline. That will be completely reworked with the new links in mind.

That and it would only be generating bad habits for drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The “adjustment” for people who miss the new road is to go around the roundabout again and find it. Letting them continue to use the bit of road that’s going away won’t help them in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

I'm wondering about the level differences between the current roundabout and the new tunnel to N25E link (Link A). I think the current drop in level for the new M8 south on approach to the roundabout is very poor. I presume they will alter this as part of the final layout? The contractor will probably have to carry out a large amount of works over the weekend to build some sort of ramp down to the level of the new Link A. But won't the contractor still have to lower the levels under the current N25 overpass to develop a more seamless and gradual drop in levels? How they do this while still allowing traffic to pass will be tricky. I presume single lane closures while they lower the levels?

Assume they’ll sort out the gradient once the Tunnel to M8 north movement gets moved to the east and will go through the war most underpass of the N25 mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I was down there: the gradient isn't actually too bad. I was worried about it too, but it looks fine.

It looks like 4 lanes will be utilized northbound out of the tunnel.

Whereas there are 4 lanes there now, only 3 get used the majority of the time.

This change, along with east bound commuters only needing to get thru 2 sets of lights rather than 3, should see northbound queues in the tunnel reduced hopefully.

Then again having traffic to town and heading east use the left hand bore may cause carnage.

Next week will be interesting.

Link A has 2 lanes all the way to the N25.

hence I think:

Lane 1: Tivoli, N25 and Little Island

Lane 2: N25 only

Lane 3: M8 only

Lane 4: M8 and Tunnel Management Building

• Advertisement

Lining complete at Link A - N25 merge.

Advertisement