Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bizarre really. Along with the 1500+ paid fans (who need to pump out propaganda and report any dissent on socials)...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Some of your posts on here show you know sweet F all about soccer and it's history.

Without Europe soccer is NOTHING.

This is where the top teams, the top leagues, the money and before Asians started discovering soccer where the fan base was.

In Mexico in summer 1986 teams had to play around midday at altitude in order to satisfy the European viewing audience.

If you take the European leagues out of world soccer you got SFA.

No ones gives a rat ass who wins the Brazilian or Argentine leagues anymore since most of their countries best players have never even played senior football in their leagues.

And those two countries would historically have two of the strongest leagues outside Europe.

And you appear to be going out of your way to defend Qatar for some reason.

As for the beer, it is a real screwup for FIFA because Bud have a long time deal with them to supply beer (well what some call beer).

And now that deal is thrown out the window by the Qatari shytes.

And I find it incredible how people are wondering how the tournament ended up there.

FFS the Qatari invited all the African FAs for a little all expenses break in Qatar, showered them with gifts like Rolexes, gave them money to devleop their national games (the running joke was that a lot of swimming pools were build with that money).

Added to that the likes of France backed them.

It aint a coincidence that they own PSG.

They bought the WC.

Now it was always for sale and some of the countries were run by dictators like Mussolini, Videla long before Putin and the Qataris.

But at least those countries had major cities, stadia, major infrastructure, a long history in the game, major leagues, etc.

Qatar had fook all bar lots of sand, oh and ready cash.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This video describes the history of 'Kafala' the system that Qatar use for workers who built the World Cup stadiums

The system was actually invented/refined by a British bureaucrat in then British controlled Bahrain. This system spread to other neighbouring Middle Eastern Countries, including Qatar.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah FFS.

I should have said ground ball to really get you going 😁

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,859 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Really hope Giroud gets a few goals this World Cup. The locals wont be happy.

Lucky for them Alan Smith has retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The world cup has highlighted how Muslim attitudes to alcohol and sex aren't in line with Western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

I have news for you - the Qataris tend not to drink, some do for sure, but the vast majority do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

1. I can say that the Qataris are happy because I live here and I see them and work with them. I talk to them every day, I read the local newspapers, follow some of the local social media personalities etc. I never said "everyone's happy" you made that up. I said that "The citizens of Qatar are exceedingly happy with their lot" - perhaps I should have qualified that because nothing is ever 100%. But they have an exceedingly good life, they are very wealthy, and they are ruled by a benign and well-liked Emir. They have freedom to travel, they get top quality education, and the country is very safe. The current Emir succeeded his well-liked father when the father decided to retire - an unusual event in monarchies (ask King Charles!);
    2. It is two hundred a night for a twin = one hundred per skull;
    3. I am happy to wait until the games are over for the count as to how many people visited Qatar.

The right to protest exists only in western liberal democracies. Most of the people of the world don't live in western liberal democracies, nor do they aspire to.

As for what is going on around me, I find it hilarious that people are effectively saying to me to ignore what I see and experience and instead rely for information on some NGO writing from outside Qatar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It’s just not a good look, and makes the whole thing look like the facade it is.

The day it was awarded ahead of the USA back in 2010 made the whole thing look like the facade (I think you might mean farce) it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It should've gone to Australia. They were all about bringing it places where they could grow the game and hadn't had a chance before.

Sports mad country, their winters (our summer) are relatively mild. Big distances sure, but would've been an easy sell

Qatar was easily the worst choice that day.

Australia would have been good fun. I can picture all the articles about the cities, clubs and Australia's small but interesting soccer history. Stuff to actually make the build up interesting.

Also real fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'll say this and no more - you dont give a rats ass about brazilian or argentine leagues because you grew up in ireland following english football. You look at football through a European lens.

Brazilians and Argentinians give a rats ass about it. Where is Luis Suarez finishing up his career.

I have a tournament that you will love, and will answer all your needs - its the European Championship and its on in two years. Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Getting a bit tedious listening to every current affairs show banging on about LGBT 123 etc in relation to the World Cup

here’s a novel idea , don’t engage in public displays of affection while in a country like that

Heres a novel idea.

Don't listen to current affairs if you don't want to hear the affairs that are current.

It has surprised me how people are so openly critical of Muslim culture.

I suppose it’s a dilemma for progressives, two trendy causes but which one to back ?

personally I don’t know why any gay person would ever consider travelling to countries like that?

Its far more a dilemma for the anti "woke" neanderthals.

Having to champion Muslims just to get to complain about gay people must really hurt their narrow little minds after they spending the last 20 years thinking all Muslims are terrorists and drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The country with deplorable human rights record has made a decision thats upsetting people , how is this even surprising anybody?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just looked up the forecast for next 2-3 weeks in Doha and it's not that bad. Daily highs between 23 and 29 degrees. Thats no worse than having WCs in Spain, Italy, USA, Mexico, Brazil etc. France and Germany could easily have those temperatures in June, too.

Its feels weird though having it in December - in the middle of domestic football season.

With the rest of it I say let's wait and see. Who knows, might be a great World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It should be because the standard is high worldwide now, there are few pushovers at least beyond the group stages. It will feel weird watching a WC in December initially they were going to play it in June. With hi tec air conditioning and all sorts. But they copped on the fans would have to walk around outside at some stage.

Apparently it is going to be a 'carbon neutral' WC so at least Greta Thunberg will be happy. I believe there is a stadium that is made out of cargo crates, which will be disassembled and recycled later.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They would have had to go on a huge stadium building operation for it.

I remember reading in When Saturday Comes back around 2009 that they really didn't have many stadiums up to the very high standards required by FIFA.

Plus the time zone would have sucked for the main market, western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They bribed their way to winning the bid....not too surprised that they might be trying to buy a win too...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Precisely.

they are a positive, open, flexible and friendly nation who like ‘fun’.

they have the infrastructure, both hospitality, transport and logistics…they have experience of putting on big sporting events :

Rugby World Cup

Cricket World Cup

just two off the top of my head….

Qatar ? It’s not even a democracy FFS…their first ‘general election ’ was in 2021 and rumoured to be rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The fans won't die of thirst if they can't drink a beer duing the match.

Probably a good thing in Englands case, beer turns their fans into even bigger scumbags than they are when sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No doubt it is a very comfortable society to live in if you fall well within the system. As for the soccer, we shall see. What's the plan for half full or less stadiums. Rig the cameras and boost crowd sounds artificially? Or round up migrant labour and pay them little or nothing to fill the stands and wave?

What's the plan also for Iran - a terrorist state up to their necks in the daily bombing of Ukrainian cities? Never mind shooting their own citizens. When they are supposed to play the USA, England and Wales. F***ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How can ypu speak for all Qatari people? Do ypu know them? When you say the Qataris are happy, ypu mean the straight while male Qataris are happy. The rest aren't allowed to voice unhappiness.

It's 200 per tent and you know it. One person on their own still pays 200. Stop weaesling out.

I did say "exoected". But it's still a signifucant percentage of the population. It was 600k for Russia I'd imagine they'd want to at least match that.

Again, take of the blinkers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement