Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

“The thing still works” That’s hilarious.

This will give you some idea of the complexities he’s left to manage with the least mobile 30% of his staff. Let’s call it “56 Ways To Lose Your Billions”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Time to get the popcorn and start a book on when it stops.

Meanwhile, The Washington Post reported conversations with engineers who said there were six critical systems – such as "serving tweets" – that no longer had tech staff to support them. "There is no longer even a skeleton crew manning the system. It will continue to coast until it runs into something, and then it will stop," one said.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/11/18/twitter_staff_resign_en_masse/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've experienced most of those over the years.

Not the genocide and rebellion ones at the end, but all of the IT related ones and they are not fun and if you don't have people who are intimately familiar with exactly how the sausage is made, you are in deep deep ****.

Removing all that knowledge and experience in one shot never ever ends well.

I fully expect Twitter to have a significant major outage during the world cup over the next couple of weeks due to a combination of a spike in traffic during a big game and some technical glitch that gets missed in all the current turmoil.

Is it big enough, and have enough resources and momentum, to take this hit and keep going. I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Depends could take something simple in relation to images. Code for JPEG support get corrupted. Would tend to be the most used format most images will just show a bang or unsupported symbol. Sounds easy enough to fix until you try to find it's line in a particular plugin for example. Could go down hill very fast. Once you pull one thread could be done gone Kaput. Even if there are backups you would have to have a very very good filing system to find what plugin failed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It doesn't take much to crash a web app, they can be quite brittle which is why you have on call engineers and SREs always keeping an eye. And if the expertise isn't there to know where the gaps are, or what the likely culprits are if X goes bang, a simple production issue becomes a crisis cos nobody knows how to fix it fast enough. Time is spent just figuring out what the code does before it can be figured what went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭herbalplants

And your point is???

Plenty of people that I know with Masters /PhD and are beyond average. Or have their ACCA exams and barely able to reconcile cash.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

If Leader says its true , then it must be true

This is a good thing , right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

It's good fun watching twitter crash and burn under this moron. It really may be joining the likes of MySpace and yahoo as a warning story about how quickly seemingly strong internet companies can go badly wrong

It was going to crash and burn at some stage He either makes it profitable or it fails. Judging by the job losses there was a very large layer of fat and only a bit of meat.

• Advertisement

That's like cutting the branch you're standing on then blaming the branch when you fall.

That may be true but advertisers kept it on life support. They have pulled now due to a change in management. Shows exactly the reason they were supporting it. They were not worried about 300 troll accounts saying the Nword. There has been no explosion of hate speech or racist sentiments. They are worried that a more balanced amount of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Well if it's after only putting in a sub 50hr week, I don't see what the issue is!!

Motivates others to work hard, and rewards those already putting in the hrs with their lives (If they can get in the door!!).

personally, I think he is a spoofer, and he came into twitter with a sink for a photo op and I presume he has this ready for the impending exit photo...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was there's large layer of fat. Problem with trimming fat make a mistake a lot of muscle can go as well.

Most software and telco's can coast along for weeks or even months. Most work with minimum staff over Christmas with a few staff on call to put on a couple of Band-Aids if there is a cut but with the ability to call in a lot of help if there is a serious issue.

How many time have we seen real issues with software, remember Ulster banks melt down in 2012. BOI had an issue with it mobile app last year. The attack on the HSE in 2020.

Ten biggest last year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

I suspect they are more annoyed that Twitter allowed troll accounts to impersonate them and even severely dropped the stock price of one company? Would you be too keen to support that. Even if they weren't targeted it could cause many to scroll past their own adverts if they believed it to be a troll. Finally you have the issue of giving money or signing an agreement with a company you may suspect is about to go broke, you may be on the hook for more of the advertising cost than you get in return.

They did pull out due to a change in management and it was because they didn't want to be the ones throwing money into a lost cause as opposed to anything to do with balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Twitter was never a strong internet company, that's why most consider Musk to have grossly overpaid for it.

I don't think it's that simple. They were losing the users that were creating most of the content.

Nsfw content is less attractive to advertisers. You could argue Elon encouraged this narrative and thus set it up for his takeover. He may have done a better job than he intended. He's now throwing good money after bad trying to save the ship he torpedoed.

Social media is being choked by low quality content.

Oh I take your point If they actually fired the meat like most of all the Engineers and Software devs. But you don't need stuff like human rights departments. Things tend to cost along as you say due to software tools Updates Plugin updates are not done. This is why the engineers and software devs are so important. You don't hit auto update in the real world outside your home system. You need these teams to pour over the new release read the documentation and see if it could break something. Ofc as people have pointed out large deployed systems with multiple layers can just fail over time Could be as simple as knowing there is a memory leak in a particular plugin for example. There will be a guy who knows that and know the plugin will stay stable for 1 month say. Just spit balling there. It's incredibly complex. And also you need to remember Sneaky software developers tend to design in things they only can fix easily and keep the old job. It's generally not malicious but good for them for job stability.

Like take something that I mentioned about Jpegs. The code/plugin dealing with this will probably not be called Jpeg. It will be a name a guy/girl who created it calls it. There are tones of stuff like that not written down Someone also pointed that out people tend to hate documenting stuff. It's a pain in the A*s. It also means you could be replaced if it's actually really specific and any dev could do.

Documentation isn't critical if it's written properly.

He cut the staff so fast there was no time to work out who was critical and who wasn't. Which is why he had to ask some to come back.

It might not be possible to recover from that.

I dunno did that airline get a lot of free publicity from the ahem woman on a desk with a plane. 😁

• Advertisement

I know but it's not like Microsoft releasing updates. Twitter will be completely different Documentation in Twitter would and could cost you the job. There would be very little appetite to write clear concise documentation. You could turn a 10 person team down to two in some cases if that was done. There is a certain amount of bloat due to people wanting to keep a job.

In my experience documentation is the exception rather than the rule.

Dorsey still has his share, along with some of the other guys I believe. Musk has been CEO of other companies with very important software development, ie. Tesla and SpaceX, and he was a part of that PayPal thing way back. Twitter, or FAANG in general is famously overstaffed. They're all laying people off, and Twitter had big layoffs planned before Musk got involved.

It isn't outside the realms of possibility that he has his own ideas about how many people should be required to work on a system like Twitter. And it isn't outside the realms of possibility that people like Dorsey or previous top brass had an idea of what to cut already.

I honestly don't expect any massive downtime or anything because of anything except sabotage. You can surely keep a service online with a thousand staff, and a bunch more who would be happy to sign up and work there, even if it's super hardcore and you'd have to work as hard as a nurse for 150k.

Is kinda my whole point their not actually developing the software apart from their end. Say Microsoft releases an update even with their due diligence once it's out in the wild issues can occur. Using Microsoft as an example Could be Linux, Unix anything you want. Devs on there end if not fired will be able to fix it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Neither you nor Elon have a clue as to whether there was or was not fat! It is clear at this stage that this clown had not got a clue who he was firing, what they actually did or what the consequences were, so to draw the conclusion then that there was fat because of the sacking does not stack up.

I’ve this a few times now, it ends up taking a couple of years for a company recover from the so called fat cutting exercise all the time pretending they did not make a mistake. But Elon does not have the time and the financiers will soon start to call in their markers before he looses much more of their money. The question is just how much collateral did he put up and what will he be left with.

Elon never fired anyone personally he would have looked to HR asked and also taken into account the fat being cut from the other guy. All tech companies at the moment are shedding staff. Twitter was a none viable company some seem to forget that. it was propped up by advertising that liked how the platform was run nothing more. It will fail or survive it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

Twitter should re-instate legacy mode because javascript can really slow down a few functions if a tech device is not 8 out of 10. Legacy Mode is where javascript is temporarily disabled or in mobile mode.

Well I'm no software dev I would have assumed a migration to C# ? well back in the former company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's not how documentation works. It doesn't exist to replace a job, it exists to ensure the company can work on and understand any given piece of software, so it's not some black box at the whim of a tiny subset of employees; indeed good documentation can help its own author, given 12 month later a developer may not remember what or why they even wrote the code that way. Been there. But it doesn't get written so "great, we don't need those developers anymore". It's not a manual that gets written, it's a guide.

JavaScript isn't the big hog it used to be and too much of the internet, including twitter I imagine, is built on JavaScript such that the site literally wouldn't load without it. Slow we sites tend to be bad servers or blasted assets. See Boards. Ain't the JS making it slow, it's shonky servers and the bajillion uncompressed assets being loaded.

Advertisement