Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s easy for you to think that it isn’t a big deal because you seem capable of closing your eyes and ignoring the behaviour and everything that this behaviour results in. You can shield yourself from it and see no repercussions. But that’s because you are choosing to do so. You are choosing to ignore what his actions are doing which enables a “no big deal” position. But is it really not a big deal that people received death threats because of what Rassie did? Do you really think people receiving death threats is “no big deal”?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Luminous Talent

The problem with playing a game based purely on discipline, is that it stops the forwards doing stupid things on the pitch but it also prevents rugby being played at the maximum stakes physically by teams. Therefore, in my view mistakes are to be encouraged although stupidity is not.

Technique at entering the ruck and in the tackle area is where most cards are dished out. If you don’t have physically imposing men like Aki it’s less likely you will get tackle cards. Ireland are a nation of smaller men in stature naturally hence those figures. 

Also, the days of the Claw and other forwards making face palm moments at rucks are gone due to the nature of coaching we have had in this island for the past ten years. Ruck entry cards can be coached out of a team and it’s a testament to the coaching teams we have had that poor technique on entry and at contact are at the lowest of all nations. 

But it breeds an atmosphere of prudence, and a stand offish type of game where we wait for our opponent to make mistakes instead of playing to win and taking risks. It’s not going out with abandon and winning the game outright. It’s can be construed as negativity and cagey. I prefer to see teams blow other teams off the park personally. Mistakes and cards included. 

And let me say this again so I am not misrepresented, playing with full gusto including the odd card is better than standing off and playing negatively. But that does not include giving away stupid penalties and cards from braindead forwards doing stupid or lazy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Luminous Talent

The hypocricy and manipulation of argument away from what Ireland and Leinster do towards what South Africa and Rassie do is really malevolent. I’ve seen all the said posters on this site who are laying blame at Rassie for inciting hatred and death threats against refs lay blame at referees feet dozens of times on this site over the years. And I rarely even go to Leinster games any more such is the level of hate and abuse shouted at referees from the Grandstand. Literally grown men on their feet spitting venom at referees in their hundred and thousands. A look at a bit more closer to home and yourselves would be in order. You all have a way of deflecting any blame from yourselves and putting it on your opponents when the real vitriol comes from within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Which school did Rassie go to, Luminous?

• Advertisement

For starters, I don’t roar and shout at refs as you’re describing there so don’t feel I’m being hypocritical. Especially given that I call out that behaviour when I hear it (as posters on this forum can attest to).

But secondly, and perhaps more importantly, there is a very big distinction to be drawn between a nobody in a stand at a game shouting abuse at a ref when (a) the ref cannot hear it, (b) the nobody has no real authority at all and (c) the only people who hear it are those in the immediate vicinity. The refs see what Rassie posts. He has authority because of his position in the game. He has a podium that most don’t ever have. I’d also draw a big distinction between heat of the moment stuff and premeditated, cynical and malicious actions carried out after the fact.

I don’t condone abuse of referees in any form. And I call it out a lot, in person at games as well as online to anonymous internet posters and international coaches. But it’s possible to do that and also see a very important difference between the eejit in the stands in the heat of the moment and the coach online with deliberate and viscious intent. Both are bad. The latter is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think that's a dummy account of Rape of Lucretia, Molloy.

No point arguing with him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Let's play a game of spot the rereg troll

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im certainly not buying it, I can see the limitations of the Irish squad and its obvious to me that it will not last the rigors of a World Cup. There are probably 5 if not 6 /7 irreplaceable players in the Irish squad (Front row, Beirne, halfbacks and ringrose) and we might overcome losing one of them, maybe two but not 3.

We can currently beat anybody on our day but we dont have the squad to beat everybody back to back, England could have beaten SA in the last final but they had played their final against NZ in the semi.

SA have that squad, they have depth in a lot more positions, Australia are getting towards it but wont make it by next year, NZ are close to it but have problems in some key positions and France certainly have it.

And all that is before you look at how the (terribly boring) SA gameplan is perfectly suited to cup rugby. Keep it tight, hard, attritional and kick for territory all day long, then have players on the wing that can make the most from a half gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

@lawrencesummers what you say about the Boks' game plan being suited to knock out, cup rugby is unfortunately so true. Them winning the RWC next year would be awful for the sport.

• Advertisement

I go to the RDS all the time and I can't remember the last time I've heard actual abuse thrown at ref's, certainly anything that could qualify as abuse is not being heard down on the pitch. I hear people disagreeing with the ref around laws and technicalities or shouting about a forward pass but I'm obviously sitting in the only well mannered part of the ground away from all the big meanies.

About the closest thing to actual abuse is when people boo decisions. I'm not a fan, but ref's know well enough to ignore the theatrics.

Lot's of 'but what about' on here in an effort to defend Rassie and that speaks volumes. The guy is one of the loudest voices on social media in the entire world of rugby and one of the loudest voices full stop. He is the current world cup winning coach. He is not being measured in what he is tweeting, he is only focusing on mistakes that impact South Africa negatively as opposed to ones that go the other way and mostly he's being a complete child about it. His behaviour is unbelievably embarrassing and I'd be disgusted if he was still coaching in Ireland.

Wouldn't waste my time arguing with people who can't see the issue, they either don't get the values of the game or are choosing to ignore them rather than accept valid criticism.

As I've said - World Rugby need to start sanctioning South African Rugby rather than Rassie at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm praying for Italy to beat the Saffers this weekend, if only to see some posters here go full Chernobyl 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Bit like when u get knocked out the WC early as usual.boys vs men when it counts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I was thinking today about how complimentary the Kiwis were when we beat them during the summer, and how all the focus was on what they are doing wrong, what do they need to fix.

The contrast is incredible.

Was also thinking that it's funny that my Twitter is full of mentions of Rassie and Elon Musk, two successful South Africans who claim to be mavericks but in reality are deeply, deeply insecure about what people think of them and would literally say or do anything just to have people like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Some bizarre **** on this thread but the last paragraph here takes the cherry.

I move that this thread become the official wind-up a Saffer thread of boards.

We have 'em all corralled into one place here - Rassie has them overstimulated and agitated like a bag of unspayed cats. Good clean fun. And, it's a whole year until the World Cup kicks off! So much scope for acitivities.

I'll get the ball rolling: The decline of South African rugby is directly correlated with the decline of the Afrikaans language. Charleze Theron agrees, and she's won an Oscar y'know...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Yip and the Irish only know how to play rugby when they have foreign players and coaches as they can’t breed their own,and still get sent home from a WC early

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Very true. But I would prefer the champions to be a team that plays attractive rugby. So not South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Okay I was finished with this but I'll just respond to this.

Firstly can you say with absolute certainty that Rassie's comments resulted in death threats? Would the comments of Kolbe's wife lead to death threats? Would the comments of somebody else have led to these death threats?

Everybody is entitled to air their opinions too.

More importantly, how can you blame a person for the actions of idiots on social media? Would you agree with me that social media is a big problem if it's leading to death threats? I'd be of the opinion that we should shut down all social media sites for the safety of everybody.

• Advertisement

We're the real Rainbow nation Saffer.

Give me your tired, your poor underpaid backrows, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming basketball Super Rugby shore - we'll make international players out of them, and pay them in a currency that doesn't crap itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jaysus! I assume the Rand is in the shitter? One thing I like about the boks is there's no foreign influence. 2020 is right in a way, all other sides have a gaggle of foreigners among the squad.

But Ireland and Munster turned a bang average player, into an international. Most leagues have a load of Boks, Aussies and Kiwis.

Their marquee player for years "Beast" was a card-carrying Zimbabwean poach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Out of interest,

How come Mtawarira could play for the Boks (born in Zimbabwe) but Madosh Tambwe (born in DR Congo, but with an SA passport) could not?

Rassie was the one who claimed his actions led to death threats so I’d be fairly sure that did happen. He stirred that up with absolutely no concern for the consequences. I know people these days seem to have an issue with personal responsibility but while those threatening people have to accept theirs, so do the people who stir the pot. This nonsense of “everyone has the right to express their opinions” doesn’t finish “regardless of the consequences”. As adults we all have responsibilities as well as rights. What I always find bizarre is the people who often strongly champion the latter are really opposed to the former.

Rassies actions have consequences. He can’t (and you can’t) chose to ignore those because “opinions”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I see Itxa’s back… oh good…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Madosh could have played for South Africa. Nienabar is just stupid and lied about Madosh not being a citizen. At least thats what Madosh says.

You don't even need citizenship to play for a country but there is a South African law mandating it.

There was chaos in South Africa about Mtawarira. SARU broke the law for a few years fielding him despite him not being a citizen. Then a South African minister just made him a citizen be decree without being properly nationalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's going to be class for France in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement

You dont need to look outside your boarders when every player is such a fan of having ridiculously high levels of “brocolli” in their diet from a young age.

Advertisement