Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored by Your License Fee: The Late Late Show Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What team? Who are they...?

Why haven't they gone public, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

"We don't have hate."

Eamon may have to be directed to the Ryan Tubridy thread in the radio forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

NOT QATAR!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

TOY SHOW!

Will we have to start a separate thread for this momentous occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I agree with Dunphy we are better than some places with no real genuine powerful right wing groups. But we do have racism and we do need to be aware of it and vigilante of it. My non Irish wife (the only wife I have!) gets off colour comments on a regular basis, in between lots of lovely comments. My co workers comments about each other are sometimes choice too, a black Irish referred to as Bongo Bongo Lad recently. ...not to be negative but no we re not THERE yet in Utopia-land is all I'm saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nighty night 'angry middle aged men' and any terrior owners 😉 , until a fortnights time.

• Advertisement

Till next week, folks!

The Toy Show 2022!

Stay safe!

Nos da :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Two Premier League players from the same team are reportedly in a relationship but not yet ready to come out to the public - despite sharing the happy news with teammates

'They did not see the need to hide from their teammates — and why should they?' one source said. 

'But they decided not to come out publicly — although neither are ashamed and it could happen down the line.'

Their teammates, who have all been supportive of the relationship, were also asked not to publicly comment on the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Nah, this one will be grand. For Hobbidy-every show is a Toy Show reference in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

No right wing in this country? What do you call the catholic church, the blueshirts and FF's? This narcissism that we're different or above other countries makes me wanna puke

After my local priest passed away, the rectory was empty so they had to find someone else to look after his dog or it would just have starved. That would have been a holy terrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

What’s with the weekly misery, can he just not do a entertaining show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭growleaves

'I agree with Dunphy we are better than some places with no real genuine powerful right wing groups.'

I never think we are comparing like for like though. We are a small island with 5 million people and a sponsored economy. Emigration has helped to guarantee our standard of living and political stability also.

Much larger countries with vast collections of dirt poor people (Rust Belt) are not going to have a no-conflict political culture.

Well I did follow that line with a 'but...racism and stuff...' and my point was that I wasnt accepting of his great wee country narrative. That said I'm sure if you can find countries of similar populations and economies, you are likely to find examples of those populations supporting right wing groups, that only the slightly shook or touched amongst us crave here. GD supporters?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if some realise this, or perhaps it suits their own political narrative-but in many other countries, our current FF/FG homogeny would be considered, at most, centre right, and probably in some respects even left of centre (particularly the FF element of the current coalition).

Don't confuse populism for left wing. Certainly here, they are one and the same, but that's only until they get into power. Look at SF in the north, or Labour during the Rabbitte/Burton years.

This is not a commentary on either the current government or the current opposition in the form of SF, it is simply a statement of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dead.

Centre right.

Centre left.

We don't have a right wing in Ireland. We had the PDs for a while, but compared to any strong right wing in any number of Western countries, they were also centre right.

PiS in Poland, Fidesz in Hungary, Fratelli d'Italia, Rallye Nationale in France - those are right wing. Nationalist conservative and populist.

We do not have any, other than the National Party, who are just a bunch of dumb donkeys in cheap suits that nobody ever elected to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

We have far more than 5 million we are importing 400 people a day minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Post edited by Brian Scan on

Not "a french term to do environmental factors impacting how crops develop"

Interesting article by Patrick Freyne in the IT this morning.

A few snippets in there, little snapshots if you will.

"Before Tubridy arrives, Toy Show producer Neasa McLaughlin shows me the various vehicles all lined up neatly for use, and introduces me to a nurse, Aoife, who is there lest any child comes a cropper. She’s been there for much of the week including at a Toy Show-related shoot the night before. She has, I’m told, a “big bag of drugs”.!

"While most of the RTÉ teams, including the week-to-week version of the Late Late team, exist together in a big open-plan office, the Toy Show team are hived away from early September in a room with a closed door. "

"When I first arrive to RTÉ, Tubridy, clad in a jumper covered with Atari-style Santas, brings me to me to see his previous Toy Show costumes, which are in a corridor that leads down to the costume department lined with pictures of Tubridy on set. “A gallery of horrors,” he says. “The scary part of Madame Tussauds… I had it written into my contract there be pictures of me everywhere. Like North Korea.

He’s done 13 Toy Shows now so there are Lion King-themed costumes, Frozen-themed costumes, a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang-themed costume, a Mary Poppins-themed costume, a Fantastic Mr Fox-themed costume which is really a velvet suit with a tail and ears. “I liked that outfit. You could wear that.” A pause. “If you were Franz Ferdinand.”"

"It’s a very full-on part of the year for Tubridy, coping with his radio show, the regular Late Late and then, brewing in the background, the Toy Show. “The only thing is the payoff: you got handsomely elected with 81 per cent of population, like a tinpot dictator.”"

"Tubridy is drawn first to a yellow-beaked crow puppet which he sticks on his arm and begins to operate. “CAW!” says the crow.

“CAW! CAW! CAW! CAW!” says the crow into McMullen’s ear.

It’s really annoying,” says McMullen."

"As well as matching toys to the individual children, McMullen and McDermott also have to match them to Tubridy, who vetoes the ones he finds boring or finicky. “I have two or three notebooks with ideas,” says McDermott. “We live in this cabin for 2½ months. Us, two chairs and two space heaters.”"

"Is it nerve-wracking? “It’s always a bit scary but it’s fun,” she says. “Is it fun?” she asks herself. “Yeah,” she concludes. “It’s fun.”"

"Picking children for the show is very difficult, says McQuaid. “We watch over 3,000 videos… If you get a call to come to audition we’ve seen something special I can’t even put words on.”"

"They’ve been through a lot. Kate was friends with the children who died tragically in Tallaght in September. “"

Has he any words that sum up this time of year for him? “It’s a run. I’m running for mayor, mayor of Crazy Town. I’m hoping to get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That article makes Tubs sounds like an absolute prick.

• Advertisement

It paints a picture of an over-indulged RTE contractor with pictures on the wall a la Johnny Carson in NBC Burbank in the early 90s, and all his former costumes on display for the staffers to marvel at.

Jokes about his contract, and what seems to be a ridiculous waste of RTE resources (two young ones in a portacabin for three months looking at toys), and the production team-which is surely the same LLS team-meeting in camera-a team incidentally that don't seem the happiest of collectives-also stood out for me.

And of course they had to pore over a couple of thousand auditions for something or someone that stood out-which, in the case of the kids that were there when Mr. Freyne visited, just happened to be MISERY.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement