Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be interesting to see what Musk does when he finally kills Twitter in the coming days and weeks where will he then go after losing his biggest public social media self promotion tool where will he have access to post nonsense and memes daily that show he is the smartest man in the history of the world to his fanboys and the rest of th world and it media.

Will me move to Facebook/Meta/Instagram/Pintrest/Tumblr/ maybe however I doubt they will work the same way he likes spout his 140 charcater nonsese.

Maybe Tiktok and he can make videos instead of using words and memes that could be fun actually seeing him breaking down while doing a shuffle dance.

I guess he could go where the other big self important megalomania who like to spew nonsense went where he would have the freedom of speech he wants Truth Social. The Donald would gladly sell him Truth Social I suspect for a lot less than $44B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

why can it not be as simple as that: he only bought it to bring it down, eliminate Twitter. He has already a new concept and he didn't want to spill the beans about it and he just needs or wants 'fresh' people for that, not anybody stuck in the old game, be it emotionally or professionally. And not even a surprisingly new concept or way to go in the big money world I would say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

guess he could go where the other big self important megalomania who like to spew nonsense went where he would have the freedom of speech he wants Truth Social. The Donald would gladly sell him Truth Social I suspect for a lot less than $44B.

Well it looks like Musk is letting the Twits decide if that Clown Trump should be allowed back on the platform,

Here ou go. I have voted. Do vote and get as many people as you can to vote too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Out of curiosity, has he actually unbanned anyone?

From what I can see so far:

- he paid more than he should have

- he has banned some users (as someone who was expected to champion free speech, this raises questions)

- he has made a total mess of the verification system (paying for a better level of service isn't necessarily a bad idea but don't mess with the original system, bring in a new one to complement it and make it more atttactive)

- he has lost advertisers because of the uncertainty about how he's running things (of course he got it out there that this is because of activist pressure - is activist what we're calling investors these days?)

- he seems to have sacked large numbers without much thought and is now threatening the remaining workers if they don't go into overdrive to solve a problem of his own making (which would not inspire confidence in any workplace)

- he's also causing the Tesla stock price to go down (I imagine Tesla investors who don't give a crap about Twitter are rightly pissed off that his outside antics are affecting their investments)

Did I miss anything?

If his goal was to destroy Twitter all along, that's fine. It's his company, he can do what he likes. However, it should be a concern for several reasons.

First, for the people who are working for Twitter and people who are interested in decent working conditions. Of course, in a takeover, there'll be a change in workplace culture but isn't this done over time? Not with a wrecking ball and no plan. We shouldn't be championing the actions of someone who's enforcing exhaustive working conditions and threatening termination for those who don't sign up to the master plan.

Secondly, it actually raises concerns for free speech. If someone has enough money, can they just repeat what Musk has done? There's a media compamy saying things they don't like? Simple: pay over the odds for the company and then deliberately crash it into the ground. Problem solved. It will also make media companies think twice about what they're doing. It used to be that media companies just had to worry about being sued but this could be showing a way for other billionaires to stiffle criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In recent years he's gone from being a relatively popular tech entrepreneur, to the most annoying alt-right edgelord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I used to like him for being the King Nerd who made a rocket company. And his leadership did drive forward the normalisation of electric cars. But as you say he showed himself a vaguely right wing edgelord and all round díckhead who increasingly made ludicrous projects like that hyperloop boondoggle, calling a rescue diver a paedophile, and buying twitter for the lols. To name but three. That Las Vegas car tunnel was an especially weird flex. I suppose being a sociopathic billionaire gave him the kind of safety net that let him make these big swings without worrying about the consequences, but Twitter feels like chickens coming home to roost. His eccentric style isn't working, and all the blather in the world can't paper over the realities of running a webapp company, and how one gets that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Exactly. He's hated because he shifted slightly to the centre. Classic -if you're not with us you're against us- mentality.

On the flipside there's not a peep anywhere on this site about Sam Bankman committing billions worth of stock fraud because he has a get-of-of-jail free card by being a massive donor to the Democratic party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

He's going more fringe which is why that fringe are suddenly leaping to adopt him and defend him. If he flipped the other way, they'd turn on him like a pack of dogs, putting him in their Clinton/Soros/whatever conspiracies.

All that political nonsense aside, he's just become more of a twat.

Colin McGregor used to be highly popular as well, some people just turn into egotistical twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Musk has more problems than Twitter. He a d the boards are being sued by Tesla shareholder over his compensation package of approx 50 billion bonus package

if he loses that the case will hang over him for years as it travels to the Supreme Court. Hard to justify those wages any CEO not to mind to a part time CEO.

It came out in the court case about engineer's from Tesla on secondment to Twitter. They are supposed to return to Tesla after this weekend........where will that leave him with Twitter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup. If he started posting about - say - trans rights or climate action, his biggest cheerleaders would dogpile him faster than you can say Lib'rul Tears. And as we've seen as usual with the noisier Free Speech types, it's just a façade cos the moment he got mocked, out came the ban hammers.

Interesting point with the comparison with McGregor; maybe as much as society changes the simple continued truth is money doesn't change you - it just gives a platform and magnifier for all your personality, good and bad. With no natural societal or financial barriers, and a clatter of sycophants around you - stands to reason someone like Musk just got high on his own hype. He was always a díckhead, he just has the money and clout to be The Díckhead in Chief, with no natural pushback the rest of us would experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Found this one funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ah common I have done that to tones of people the old "I d 10 t" error. Or Problem between mouse and keyboard. Should have gone with something braver like flux capacitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s the point I made a few days on this thread, when I noted that employers can’t change terms and conditions unilaterally, and can’t deem people to have resigned.

Don’t think Musk has $44 billion to piss away like that. He had to borrow to pay for it.

If you see Musk as “slightly to the centre”, hanging around with racist killers like Rittenhouse and bringing racist Trump back into the fold, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Anyone notice anything about the remaining staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Visa hostages? Isn't it racist to assume that they're not americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What are you noticing about the remaining staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Mask always slips, you just need to be patient and pay attention.

• Advertisement

Smear? Hilarious, no one needs to smear him, he’s doing that all by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is Rittenhouse a "racist killer" , wasn't there a trial and a video of him running away in panic being attacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol Racist killer🤔 yeah you obviously know nothing about that case😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"It's only racist when you do it!"

Racist killer Rittenhouse who killed two lowlife criminals in self defence, ....both of whom were....white 😂

I see An African man and Americans in those photos. Who immediately thinks visas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I never imagined I would be of the same opinion as my new friends here(lol ) but in terms of Rittenhouse anyway, there was a trial which for me at least takes precedence over the court of public opinion. It's a lazy trope to refer to him as some crazed racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Brilliant.

Anyone who's worked in US west coast tech companies would immediately think visa hostage situations.

So it's normal practice in the US west coast tech sector then ? We will need a citation And one example will not be enough. It's either wide spread or anecdotal. I wager I know which one is which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Musk biggest problem is his ego. His slander of British cave driver being a perfect example. Musk came up with an idea for a fancy robot to help rescue the children trapped in a cave in Thailand. The British rescue driver who by all accounts is one the most knowledgeable people in the word regarding cave diving called Musks idea stupid/words to that effect. Instead of accepting the words of an expert in a very dangerous activity he responds by slandering the guy because Musks ego was bruised. Or at least that's what he looks like.

The thing is Musk has been very successful. Space X in particular has been revolutionary. He has been quite rightly praised for some of his successes. However just because you are successful in one doesn't mean you will be in another. With Space X for example you have a lot of purely technological problems. However most of Twitters problems ie trolls, racists, misinformation etc are social problems and the solutions are nuanced. Just because you can code/lead a team of coders doesn't mean you have any idea of the complexities of free speech. By the looks of it all the success has gone to his head and he believes the nonsense hype that surrounds him in some circles. If the Twitter car crash continues he'll be brought down to earth.

Advertisement